Mitch, tuck the ball away!!!!

Seems like the QB's regressed in the past two games. In the 4 games before that their accuracy seemed much better.

Or, we were playing two top 15 defenses in the country. I hate to use it as an excuse, but the weather has also played a large factor the last two games.

Or, we were playing two top 15 defenses in the country. I hate to use it as an excuse, but the weather has also played a large factor the last two games.

Accuracy is accuracy. The two top 15 defenses do not change the fact that he overthrew wide open TE's, threw behind WR's, under threw WR's and TE's. I would like to use the two top 15 defenses excuse too but I won't when it comes down plain old accuracy.

I don't think the OC gave us a chance. We ran on first and second down about 80% of the time. No imagination.

Accuracy is accuracy. The two top 15 defenses do not change the fact that he overthrew wide open TE's, threw behind WR's, under threw WR's and TE's. I would like to use the two top 15 defenses excuse too but I won't when it comes down plain old accuracy.

I think this is a good comment. The top 15 defense excuse makes sense when we talk about throwing an interception because we need to make a play, and the quarterback has to try to squeeze a ball in a tight window because everyone is covered. But these last two weeks, there have been serious problems hitting open wide receivers. I know I've harped on this play a lot, but that fourth down pass against Wisconsin to Maxx should have been completed even if the 11 players on defense standing no where near Maxx are members of the New England Patriots.

Relax. These are two young QB's who will only get better. This team has the right guys. What we need is experience. Playing in two big games the last two weeks will only make us better. It is a huge step forward just to get there, now we learn how to win. M. ST. and WISCONSIN took these same steps to get where they are at.

I've got to agree the whole experience thing. Keep making progress. Last season, even though they had a beast at the running back position AND a fantastic defensive unit, MSU lost a LOT of games by 4 points or less. This year, they are 11-1 with an offensive unit that is slowly and gradually getting better, but is still not a really polished offensive machine.

I don't know what next season will bring. Finishing up against iowa, Ohio State, Nebraska and wisky, while also playing in Ann Arbor early in the Conference schedule means that the schedule is potentially going to be a heart-breaker and a real bone-crunching way to end a season. It is potentially an incredibly high risk-high reward way to end the season. If my Gophers win one or two of those final four games, it could be a very rewarding season. Win early at Ann arbor, and it starts the ball rolling. Lose that game in Ann Arbor and there will be some time to pull things together...but...will leave NO room for error.

But, these two tough games that ended our regular season are merely a peak at things to come next season. All in all, I think my Golden Gophers showed progress in playing physical football against both wisky and MSU. Both games were losses...but...both games showed that the Gophers ARE a more physical football team than they were during the 2012 season...and even at the beginning of the Conference Schedule during this 2013 season. They were better and more physical against wisy and MSU than they were against iowa and Michigan earlier in this season. That is progress. And progress is EXACTLY what my Golden Gopher Football Team NEEDS!

Leidner will either learn to protect the ball or he will not play unless Nelson gets hurt. We need Leidner to step up in big way. He can throw the ball down field with a certain amount of accuracy. Nelson can't throw down field with any degree of accuracy.

Maybe both these young men should think about transferring. With hyper-critical foolish fans like some of these posters and critics are it would appear that these "fans" don't think either one of these young quarterbacks should have the opportunity to learn and grow and try to get the passes off before they are sacked, knocked down or knocked out of the game with concussive injury. These critics don't seem to acknowledge the less than perfect pass protection and route running when the qb's go up against the best damn defense in college football. Some of you people are real pieces of work. This crap does NOT just fall on the head of which ever quarterback happens to be playing. It is on the coaches...the other players on the offensive unit AND the quarterbacks. BUT, some of you people are just plain real first-classed jerks re: what you say about the young quarterbacks on this team. Some of the critics watch too damn many nfl games or play too damn much fantasy football. This is a TEAM game...always has been and always will be. When something doesn't work so well, the problem is with EVERYBODY on the offensive unit...not just one person. It's a "systems thing" and if one little part of the system is off...it doesn't work so well. And, sorry young quarterbacks: at age 19 or 20 neither one of you is READY for nfl fantasy fooball. So, of course, some of these critics and jerks are going to hate on you. Well...NEVER let those bashers and critics get you down. Just blow the fools off, forget about what they say and go out there and play!

Never let these ba$tards get you down quarterbacks. Keep fighting. Keep learning. Let the coaches keep coaching up your linemen, running backs, receivers and yourselves. And, let time break up some of these defenses by having the GREAT players that you are going against as red-shirt freshmen and true sophmores use up their playing days at wisky, MSU and the other Conference Schools. And then you can be the 3rd year, 4th year or 5th year quarterbacks who can have at some defenses that are manned by fourth and fifth year seniors with the same experience levels or less than you who finally get to play AFTER those All-Conference and All-American players who played ahead of them have graduated. Sure, some of those defensive players will be skilled...but...they won't have the EXPERIENCE of some of those MSU defenders! THAT will make a difference starting in the 2014 season against some of these defensive units you are currently facing.

Quarterbacks: you are "on the spot" right now with some of these "know-it-all" critics and jerks. NEVER let 'em get you down. Have GREAT bowl games...BOTH of you! I have really enjoyed this season and have seen growth coming from every aspect of this football team! And you quarterbacks have shown a LOT of great stuff this season. There is plenty to keep working on...but you BOTH have time on your side! Go Gophers!

After that rather lengthy interruption from our Resident Blowhard let's get back to talking about the relative merits of our two QB's. I am a Mitch Leidner guy and I think his stronger and more accurate arm will move him past Nelson into the starting QB job next year. But in order to get there he has going to have to: stop fumbling the football; make better decisions on option plays; and do a better job moving around the pocket and finding open receivers on pass plays.

Top Bottom