Minnesota's offense did something the program hadn't accomplished since 2003

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Dustin:

The 2019 season was one of incredible achievements for Minnesota. Whether it was team-based, or outstanding individual performance, there was a lot for the Golden Gophers to celebrate this year.

A huge reason for Minnesota’s 11-2 record and Outback Bowl victory over Auburn was because of a high-powered and prolific offense. When the year was over, receivers Tyler Johnson and Rashod Bateman totaled over 1,000 receiving yards and running back Rodney Smith piled up over 1,000 rushing yards.

Per Minnesota’s official Twitter account, that marked the first time since 2003 that three Gophers eclipsed 1,000 all-purpose yards in the same season. Not a shabby way for Smith and Johnson — the two seniors — to end their careers.

Go Gophers!!

Actually, how that's written doesn't give the accomplishment enough credit. All-purpose yards includes kick return yards. The writer should have written yards from scrimmage - rushing and receiving yards.

The eye test for me is that this offense was able to overcome being pushed back and it being 1st and 10+ yards .. or way more than 10+ yards.

Past offenses if they were pushed back were pretty much dead in the water.

The eye test for me is that this offense was able to overcome being pushed back and it being 1st and 10+ yards .. or way more than 10+ yards.

Even 3rd and 28 from inside their own 5 they did not flinch vs GSU.

I liked that whenever we were second and long, third and long, or whatever I felt we had a good chance to get a first down. In all my other years as a Gopher fan there was always a feeling of angst when the offense broke huddle and trotted up to the line of scrimmage in those same situations.

I liked that whenever we were second and long, third and long, or whatever I felt we had a good chance to get a first down. In all my other years as a Gopher fan there was always a feeling of angst when the offense broke huddle and trotted up to the line of scrimmage in those same situations.
I’m totally with you there. After the Fresno game, no situation seemed too dire to overcome.

Even with Mase’s teams, anything greater than 3rd and 5 seemed shakey.

I believe they can accomplish the same feat next year with Bateman, Bell and Ibrahim quite easily!
If Ibrahim stays healthy .... look out. I think he is going to be a star.

Kill: Better RUTM so it's 3rd and 7...

I recalled this old post from 2019 so I had to track it down. These were the good old days, I guess.
Sorry to say, but I don’t have much confidence in this offense like I did back then and I really didn’t have any faith they could pull off a last minute drive today. The angst is back.

Morgan will likely end 2021 with about 55% of the passing yards he had in 2019, and 1/3 the TD passes. Nobody on this team will hit 1000 all purpose yards. Obviously injuries and timing of injuries play into this, but still. Times are great!

down year for wide receivers, they can't get open and when they do they frequently drop the ball.

Top Bottom