Minnesotan Hawkeye suspended

FtB is right about the amount of alcohol it would take to get to a BAC of about 0.20. But it's not necessarily the number of drinks but the ounces of alcohol (one ounce of alcohol is approximately the same as a can of beer or a five-ounce glass of wine).

I've seen folks who normally understand that they can't drink a large number of mixed drinks forget that some of the concoctions served have substantial amounts of alcohol. Maybe it's changed since the almost-40 years I went to college but I recall that some of the parties we attended had these "drinks" that were largely alcohol masked with some sweet fruit base. (This was before the days of Long Island Teas but you get the idea)

I'm not trying to excuse Tucker's behavior or decision-making but I am pointing out that the phrase "drinks" can be really misleading. Without knowing more details, it's hard to say what the situation is with Tucker.

If he has some substantial drinking history and he was drinking beer, wine and/or "conventional" mixed drinks, he might be chemically dependent as it takes a lot of alcohol (in this case, "drinks") to get to that BAC and chemically dependent folks develop a "tolerance" to the effects of alcohol so it takes more to get the buzz.

OTOH, if he ingested a few more potent drinks ... or was binging and drinking a lot in a concentrated period ... it's possible he didn't realize he was getting over his head until it was too late.

Poor decision making? Sure ... but not that unusual, especially with someone who's not had much to drink before and is taking in a large amount of alcohol in a concentrated time. I'd be more concerned if that someone had been drinking before and felt the onset of earlier symptoms of intoxication but persisted to the point of unconsciousness. We just don't have enough information to do anything but speculate, IMO.

Top Bottom