"Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa. All 3 have enough to not only win the West, but be playing games of Playoff significance in November."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Matt:

8. Ask and you shall receive​

I feel like this could be a breakout season for the Big Ten. When was the last time a major conference had 3 legit Playoff contenders? — Gary Kruger, Louisville.

Gary:

The last time was last season, when the SEC had Georgia, Alabama and Tennessee. And before LSU lost to Texas A&M in the last week of the regular season (and before the SEC Championship Game with Georgia), it had the ability to reach the Playoff, too.

That said, your point of the breakout season for the Big Ten will come from more than just the Big 3 of Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State. The Lions were a legit Playoff contender last year; they just lost the 2 games that mattered most.

The jump from the Big Ten this season will be linked to 3 teams in the West Division: Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa. All 3 have enough to not only win the West, but be playing games of Playoff significance in November.

The key to all 3 is the development of a new quarterback: Athan Kaliakmanis (Minnesota), Tanner Mordecai (Wisconsin) and Cade McNamara (Iowa). That’s 3 teams that will play elite defense, and need production from the most important position on the field to reach double-digit wins.

Go Gophers!!

Well said.

Last edited:

Fair to expect that whoever of those 3 qbs breaks out will lead their team to the best season. Lots of unknowns but lots of hopes for all three. Let’s hope it’s AK

Which of the three quarterbacks will have the best offensive line, and which will have the best running back? Gophs should have best receiving corp.

Iowa's offensive woes extend past their QB. Mark my words, Brain Ferentz will not make it to the end of the season, and Iowa's offense will improve after he's gone. We just have to hope it's AFTER we play them.

Iowa's offensive woes extend past their QB. Mark my words, Brain Ferentz will not make it to the end of the season, and Iowa's offense will improve after he's gone. We just have to hope it's AFTER we play them.
Brian Ferentz is sort of like Charlie Batch. I've never seen anyone look worse at their job except when they play my team.

I don't know if I want to play Iowa before or after Ferentz gets canned.

Fortunately, Iowa isn't canning the head coaches son mid-season, especially after not doing it last season.

The playoff part seems wildly optomistic, but I am not sure why the default expectation is not that the Gophers should at least be in the same tier with Iowa and Wisconsin. They were arguably better than both teams last year and Iowa lost two 1st round picks and an early 2nd rounder to the NFL draft. The Gophers are the only team of the 3 that returns their projected starting QB that actually has started games for them.

Top Bottom