Minnesota Vs. Miami, OH - 2021 - Media Predictions Thread

IceBoxGopher

Reaction score

2011 we were suppose to smoke Miami of OH. It was another game where some small school qb came in and smoked us. Up until PJ the other schools qb was always better than our ballbag.

Was that really the case? The Gophers were 0-2 going into that game, having just lost to New Mexico State, with a new coach. I Minnesota was picked to win but I'm not sure if the media was saying it was going to be an easy situation.

The QB in that game was Zac Dysert, who I think was a capable QB. But I don't think he had the same attention as, say, David Fales with San Jose State in 2013.

College Football News has Minnesota winning 37-16, with the Gophers pulling away late.
[Minnesota] gave Ohio State a battle, but that was an emotional loss to start the season and now it’s without its star running back to work around.
Again, Minnesota has a strange way over the years of having to fight too hard when it shouldn’t have to – the great 2019 team had struggle after struggle in non-conference play.
Miami University won’t be a speed bump, but the defense is going to struggle once Morgan gets into a midrange passing groove. Expect this to be too much of a fight until midway though the third quarter.

Was that really the case? The Gophers were 0-2 going into that game, having just lost to New Mexico State, with a new coach. I Minnesota was picked to win but I'm not sure if the media was saying it was going to be an easy situation.

The QB in that game was Zac Dysert, who I think was a capable QB. But I don't think he had the same attention as, say, David Fales with San Jose State in 2013.
Are we referring to our amazing 3-9 2011 team?

Yahoo chimes in:

What’s Going To Happen​

Just how quickly can Minnesota gear it up again?

It gave Ohio State a battle, but that was an emotional loss to start the season and now it’s without its star running back to work around.

Again, Minnesota has a strange way over the years of having to fight too hard when it shouldn’t have to – the great 2019 team had struggle after struggle in non-conference play.

Miami University won’t be a speed bump, but the defense is going to struggle once Morgan gets into a midrange passing groove. Expect this to be too much of a fight until midway though the third quarter.

Minnesota 37, Miami University 16

Go Gophers!!

Hustle Belt (MAC SB Nation Page) has the Gophers winning 37-21
Miami’s offense will generate more points than last week, but the absence of Brett Gabbert certainly limits the unit from its full potential. Still, wide receivers Jack Sorenson and Mac Hippenhammer should see increases in production this time around after enduring a battle against Cincinnati’s elite secondary in Week 1.

Minnesota showed flashes competence on defense to counter Ohio State in the first half, so I believe the same will be applied when the RedHawks take the field. With the Gophers’ defense playing a factor, Minnesota’s offensive output will be too much for the RedHawks to replicate in Minneapolis. The 17-year streak without a Big Ten victory unfortunately continues for the 2019 MAC champions.

Pick Dawgz are going with a Minnesota win.
The Redhawks defense looked terrible against Cincinnati, and it’s not going to magically improve in this game. Morgan and Wright are both going to have big games for the Gophers, and they will cruise to the victory. Back Minnesota to win the game and cover the spread.

I wasn’t aware Gabbert would miss the game. Is that a sure thing?

Athlon Sports has a full preview with the Gophers winning 35-17
Minnesota is trying to regroup from the loss of Ibrahim, and this opportunity to rebound at home may be coming at precisely the right time. Miami (Ohio) is a decent MAC team, but the Golden Gophers' experience along the offensive line and overall talent advantage will be too much for the RedHawks to overcome on Saturday.

This is how close we were to going 0-3...down to the final second.

We blocked a punt in that game for a TD, so you take that away and, oy...
Unfortunately I remember too much from 2011. That was the year NDSU beat us as well.

Unfortunately I remember too much from 2011. That was the year NDSU beat us as well.
I was there for the NDSU one. That was rough. Thank goodness we had the Iowa win as a bright spot that year.

Who ever coached us that year should or did get his a22 fired.

College Football News has Minnesota winning 37-16, with the Gophers pulling away late.
[Minnesota] gave Ohio State a battle, but that was an emotional loss to start the season and now it’s without its star running back to work around.
This assessment is spot-on regarding the Gophers. This is a game that we should win going away, but historically have struggled with. I would love to see us build up a big half-time lead and play some of the 2nd and 3rd teamer's. Everytime I've said this in the past, we find ourselves in a 4th quarter struggle to win the game. Let's hope that we've turned the corner.

I wasn’t aware Gabbert would miss the game. Is that a sure thing?

Martin expects sophomore quarterback Brett Gabbert, the Mid-American Conference Freshman of the Year in 2019, to be back for Saturday’s non-conference game at Minnesota (0-1). Gabbert suffered two injuries during fall practice that limited him to what Martin estimated as six sessions.

"Miami football: RedHawks expect Gabbert to return for Minnesota game" https://www.journal-news.com/sports...me/RBKQUEA23JH4XCAYXNGII4UFPI/?outputType=amp

It is such an interesting contrast: longest non-conference win streak in the country but a theme of struggling with non-con “easy” opponents.

Sports Book Wire has Minnesota winning 31-17
It appears RB Treyson Potts, a redshirt sophomore, will be tasked with trying to fill Ibrahim’s giant shoes. Miami has some decent offensive weapons, especially WR Jack Sorenson, and it should be able to keep Minnesota within hailing distance.

Gopher Illustrated - 247 Sports has Minnesota winning 38-17
This feels like one of those games that fans are angry with the offensive coordinator afterwards as I expect to see a vanilla offense. I've said that already, but it's true. I'd like to think the Gophers will be able to run the ball after watching Miami give up nearly 10 yards a carry to running backs last week, and that should in turn help the passing game further develop continuity between the quarterback and some new faces at receiver.

The game will be closer than some want at halftime, but Minnesota pulls away in the second half for a comfortable home victory.

Odds Shark has the Gophers winning with a predicted score of 28-23
Minnesota will win, Miami-OH will cover, and the total will go under.

Here are the predictions from staff at The Daily Gopher - SB Nation
Blake Ruane: 38-17. It might be closer than Gopher fans are comfortable with at times as the defense continues to work out the kinks and the offense develops a new rhythm without Ibrahim, but Minnesota should come out on top in the end.

GoAUpher: 35-24. I don’t care about margin of victory. I care about winning and about the Gophers leaving the game as healthy as they entered it. Everything else is a bonus. That said, I wouldn’t be mad if the defense showed some improvement.

gopherguy05: 34-13. The Gophers score some points and hopefully put a clamp down on defense. This came could be even more high scoring for the Gophers if they want to attach, but most likely they will sit back and get Potts and Wiley a lot of action.

GopherNation: 34-21. Just win please.

HipsterGopher: 35-3. My whole bit of picking games based solely on matchup history works best when there are a lot of games to pick from. The Gophers and Redhawks have only played four other times, giving me slim pickens. so my prediction is based off the 1988 Minnesota victory over Miami of Ohio.

mowe0018: 38-10. Minnesota is a good team. Miami (OH) is not. Minnesota has a few extra days of rest and prep, that should help out despite losing an All-American in the previous game. I think Fleck has the Gopher program at a point where they will comfortably take care of middling MAC teams at home..

White Speed Receiver: 42-10. Miami Hydroxide is not good. Their reward for getting their ass beat by Cincinnati is to go to Minnesota to face a team full of RBs that want to prove that they deserve the most carries. That just feels like a recipe for disaster. If their QB is back, maybe they’ll get to 20.

wildcat00: 35-14. If this was a good MAC team, I would be a little worried. But Miami (OH) is not a good MAC team.

zipsofakron: 28-24. Going to be closer than we expect but I think we’re going to feel good about our RB situation after the game. Miami will score a garbage time TD to make it seem close but it’ll be in hand in the 4th.

It is such an interesting contrast: longest non-conference win streak in the country but a theme of struggling with non-con “easy” opponents.
I think it's because they smell "blood in the water". I think we get their best shot. Just like the OSU's of the world often get ours (Gophers). My guess is Miami University (of Ohio) will come out swinging and play like it is their super bowl. We have to come out composed. Out team needs to take that next step and learn to win "flat". Learn the lunch bucket approach and just execute like they know that they can. If we get that tomorrow, then we know the team has taken another step. Completed another step in the house build!

Top Bottom