Minnesota Vs. Illinois 2023 - Media Predictions

IceBoxGopher

Reaction score
Here we go for the first week in November.

Stat Insider has Minnesota winning 24-20
Our proven predictive analytics model currently gives Minnesota a 62% chance of defeating the Illinois at Huntington Bank Stadium. This prediction is based on each team's average score following 10,000 game simulations.

Picks and Parlays is predicting a 27-23 win
The Fight Illni definitely have the better passing offense in this game, however the Golden Gophers are the bigger threat on the run. Minnesota is starting to pick it up on both sides of the field, particularly their defense which has been great in their past few games. Expect Minnesota to cover the spread in this game. Final score prediction, Minnesota wins.

Picks and Parlays is predicting a 27-23 win
The Fight Illni definitely have the better passing offense in this game, however the Golden Gophers are the bigger threat on the run. Minnesota is starting to pick it up on both sides of the field, particularly their defense which has been great in their past few games. Expect Minnesota to cover the spread in this game. Final score prediction, Minnesota wins.

That's a reasonable conclusion when looking at the overall stats, but two things scare me about this game:

1) Their QB has run for over 300 yards this season and, as we all know, running QBs often give us fits;

2) Our RB depth has taken a hit.

I checked the game line yesterday and MN is favored by only 2 points. At first glance that seems a bit surprising giving our quantitative rating advantage and the fact that it's a home game for us. The prognosticators seem to be considering "matchups" (we haven't fared well in this one lately) and perhaps are considering some of our recent injuries.

Bleacher Nation

Illinois Fighting Illini at Minnesota Golden Gophers​

• Time: 3:30 PM ET
  • Date: Saturday, November 4
  • Spread: Minnesota (-2.5)
  • Total: 43
  • Moneyline: Golden Gophers -130, Fighting Illini +110
  • Prediction: Minnesota 27, Illinois 19

That's a reasonable conclusion when looking at the overall stats, but two things scare me about this game:

1) Their QB has run for over 300 yards this season and, as we all know, running QBs often give us fits;
Do Lindenberg and Selig play the same LB position? If so, I feel much better about our QB spy situation. I feel like I could juke Selig 9 times out of 10 based on what I’ve seen from him this year.

College Football News out with a winning prediction for Minnesota, 23-20
There is zero margin for error for both of these teams.

Minnesota doesn’t do anything pretty, Illinois is - if this makes any sense - inefficiently effective, and somehow it should all work in an interesting game that matters.

Illinois has a real shot at going bowling if it can pull this off - needing two more wins out of Indiana, at Iowa, Northwestern - and Minnesota can stay alive in the Big Ten West race.

All of a sudden it’ll be late in the fourth quarter and Minnesota will - after going Minnesota - somehow have a lead. It’ll close it out with one final score that Illinois won’t be able to answer for.

Do Lindenberg and Selig play the same LB position? If so, I feel much better about our QB spy situation. I feel like I could juke Selig 9 times out of 10 based on what I’ve seen from him this year.
Looks like last week, when MSU’s running QB entered the game, we had DE Collins, after the snap, drop off of the DL and “spy” the QB. He essentially became the linebacker devoted to mirroring the QB and we used a 3 man pass rush. Lindenberg was in coverage, I think.

Buckeyes Wire has all 5 of their guys picking the Gophers

Saturday, Nov. 4

3:30 p.m. ET – Big Ten Network – Stream fuboTV (watch here)
BetMGM Line: Minnesota -2.5

@PhilHarrisonBW: Minnesota
@MarkRussell1975: Minnesota
@JoshKeatley16: Minnesota
@MikeFChen: Minnesota
@evanrbach: Minnesota

CONSENSUS PICK: Minnesota

Pioneer Press writer Andy Greder weighs in on the game.

Prediction: At Wisconsin, Bret Bielema drove Tim Brewster and other U coaches crazy with his seven-game winning streak. Fleck now considers Bielema a buddy among Big Ten coaches, but a third straight loss would turn them into more frenemies. Minnesota, 21-19

Randy Johnson at the Star Tribune weighs in on the game.

PREDICTION​

The Gophers defense bailed out the offense last week after lost fumbles on the first two possessions. Minnesota will need to be much more efficient on offense, and it should be behind a strong running game and QB Athan Kaliakmanis' better grasp of the offense. Another solid effort by the Gophers defensive line should help keep Altmyer from inflicting too much damage. Both teams will try to impose their ball-control will on the other, so possessions and scoring could be at a premium.

My expectation: It won't be easy, but the Gophers find a way to end the Bielema hex as Dragan Kesich, the Serbian Hammer, comes up big.

Gophers 20, Illinois 17

My guess is the Illini will come out throwing the rock which IMO, is the best way to beat the Gophers. Rossi has to scheme to contain Altmeyer which will be a challenge and seems to be an ongoing Gopher D weakness. If Walley is out, we will have trouble with WR Williams. Newton out for the first half should help so we need a fast start. Gotta have a strong pass rush on Altmeyer.

With Walley and Taylor we win. Without we lose.

2) Our RB depth has taken a hit.

I checked the game line yesterday and MN is favored by only 2 points. At first glance that seems a bit surprising giving our quantitative rating advantage and the fact that it's a home game for us. The prognosticators seem to be considering "matchups" (we haven't fared well in this one lately) and perhaps are considering some of our recent injuries.
From the bits and pieces I've watched, Altmeyer is the best QB we have faced this season other than McCarthy and Maye. He's a considerable drop off from those twom, but like you, I worry that he can make plays with this legs. His passing stats are decent as well. Defense will need to dictate the game and limit his options.

Looks like last week, when MSU’s running QB entered the game, we had DE Collins, after the snap, drop off of the DL and “spy” the QB. He essentially became the linebacker devoted to mirroring the QB and we used a 3 man pass rush. Lindenberg was in coverage, I think.
They’ve done that a lot this season, and I’ve said to myself a lot this season, after a completion, “why the hell is a d-lineman covering a WR”?

And not only with Collins.

Illinois formula against Minnesota is the same as Iowa’s: Score in early drives using “unexpected” formations and plays, before our defense “adapts.” Correspondingly, rely on a conservative, tentative Gopher offense to squander early drives feeling out the defense. Illinois gets to 10 point lead against a team with very little comeback ability, and rides an aggressive run-stopping defense to victory—daring AK8 to win the game with his arm.

We beat Iowa this year in part because we flipped the script. Didn’t let Iowa get off to a quick 10 point lead. It will be harder against Illinois, which has a functional—actually pretty decent—offense which will show us, early, some looks we haven’t seen. Bottom line: to beat Illinois, our offense must contribute early. We can’t get left in the dust by Illinois’ offense. That is playing right into Bert’s hands.

Of course, our defense could save the day again, but tough to throw the game on the defense’s shoulders. Illinois’s got a suspect pass defense. Athan needs to be part of the solution, right from the beginning. Flip the script: Go Gophers.

Last edited:

Illinois @ Minnesota, 3:30 p.m. E.T., Big Ten Network

Illinois was off last week following its blown lead to Wisconsin, while Minnesota beat hapless Michigan State despite three turnovers.

The good news for Illinois is it had its best-rushing output of the season against the Badgers, and that bodes well for Bret Bielema’s teams, which typically pride itself on its ability to run the ball.

SAT 2:30 PM

NCAA FB
SPREAD
TO WIN
TOTAL
Illinois Fighting Illini
ILLINOIS FIGHTING ILLINI
+2.5
+123
o43.5
Minnesota Golden Gophers
MINNESOTA GOLDEN GOPHERS
u43.5

It will be ugly to watch, but what Big Ten West game isn't? But I do like the Illini and the points here.

PICK: Illinois (+2.5) to lose by fewer than 2.5 points (or win outright)

Top Bottom