Minnesota vs Cal St Fullerton Game thread

But your head coach really cost you this regional. This Lubinsky kid should have been pulled after CSF tied it at 4. That Rosin kid only threw what, 80 pitches on Friday? I liked what I saw out of Matyas, too. Why not throw Rosin for 3 and Matyas for 2? Your coach's loyalty to Lubinsky screwed you over.

The steal of second last inning, right after a pitch out, was questionable as well.

Too bad, as you guys competed with a strong team that year in and year out makes it to Omaha (or at least contends). But Serrano > Anderson and that was the difference this weekend.

Absolute garbage. Rosin was just drafted in the fourth round today and has a bright future, there is no way they we're going to risk his long term health for him to pitch 1-2 innings at the most. If that makes Anderson a bad coach in your eyes, then I think that says more about you than him. While we all wanted to win and advance, I think most of us appreciate that we won't do the win at all cost attitude. I would take Anderson 100 times over the Fullerton coach, the difference was overall talent and especially depth on the mound. Fullerton was able to throw a guy in there fourth game that may have been our #2 starter, O'Connell. Lubinsky just doesn't have the mix of pitches to get through a lineup more than once and we just don't have the depth to go that long in the tournament, thats why winning the first game was critical when playing a national program that has that kind of talent, if it had been New Mexico, then they would of had the same depth concerns as us and it would of been a shootout.

As for the coaches, I would like to see some of these southern and west coast coaches take Anderson's job for a year and see just how hard it is to run a successful program in the north, especially when your stadium has nearly been condemned. The fact that Anderson has kept Minnesota at the top of the Big Ten for so long and takes them to the NCAA's consistantly where they always fight hard, that he will play anyone, anywhere in the non conference, and that he contiues to do a great job identifying top Minnesota kids despite limited time to evaluate them, makes him an elite coache. I can't imagine what he would do with the recources and advantages some of these schools have.

Johnny, I always enjoy your post, and I couldn't agree more with you on this one. 14 (actually the entire staff for that matter) is one of the top coaches in the country and probably the most under-rated if you ask me. I actually do have a ton of respect for the Fullerton coach, he has done a great job with that program and he really does do things the right way. The funny thing is, I actually think that the Fullerton coach and 14 are pretty much the same coach, they just have a much different talent pool. They both stress the fundamentals, work a ton with the mental side/approach to the game, and play the same style of ball.

But I always wonder how some of the southern/west coast coaches would deal with the coaching at a program like the U. Many of them would have to drastically change their recruiting and style of play. Being out in the baseball community I hear some negative things about the way the Gopheers recruit because they see guys who the Gophers never had interest in going to different programs and doing well and then getting drafted, but most, of not all of those guys are project players who need a couple years of seasoning to become good ball players and contribute to the program. I am talking about pitchers who are big, strong guys who throw hard, but don't know yet how to pitch. Or hitters that have some power, but cannot field or hit with any consistancy. I bet the Gophers would love more of these guys, but the coaches know that they need to recruit guys that can come in and play within their first couple years and develop quickly.

Needless to say, the SEC guy has no clue what he is talking about in regards to how you have to play in the Big Ten/Northern conferences.

Top Bottom