Minnesota & Michigan State Tie, Gophers Unbeaten Streak Reaches 13

Twynntown

Reaction score
The #1 Gophers (7-0-2-0 B1G, 18-2-5 Overall) hosted the Michigan State Spartans (2-4-3-3 B1G, 8-12-4 Overall) tonight at Mariucci Arena in front of 9,848. After going down 2-0 early in the first, Minnesota battled back to tie the game at two in the third. The game went to a shootout, with MSU taking it 2-1.

Here is what I saw.

- After stressing the need to come out and play mistake free and inspired hockey the first ten minutes of the game earlier this week, the Gophers laid a turd in the first ten of this one. A miscue by Minnesota in the corner to the right of Adam Wilcox, led to a Michigan State player walking the puck right to the front of the net, but fortunately for Minnesota, his Spartan teammate missed a wide open net. The Gophers wouldn’t be so lucky the next time around, when Christian Isackson lost an edge, taking out Brady Skjei in that same corner. This time when the MSU player walked out in front, he found a teammate camped at the side of the Minnesota net, and this time he buried it. Then Villiam Haag walked out uncontested from the same corner when Justin Kloos lost an edge, and put a wrister past Wilcox for a 2-0 lead for the Spartans.

- Minnesota finally started controlling play about halfway through the second period, but couldn’t get one past Michigan State goaltender Jake Hildebrand. About halfway through the third period, the Gophers really started to put the heat on Michigan State. The Spartans looked tired, and were scrambling around in their own end. But they continued to effectively pack it in around their own net to keep the puck out. It felt like it was just a matter of time before the Gophers took the lead, but they were never able to overtake Sparty.

- Hudson Fasching had an excellent game for Minnesota. Probably the best game I’ve seen from him all year, and he’s been consistently good from week to week. Even if he hadn’t scored a goal in the second period, he had a solid game with the puck, and without it. He’s fun to watch, and I don’t know if there is a player in college hockey who is stronger on his skates than Fasching.

- Justin Holl also quietly had a very good game. He had some crucial shot blocks, and skillfully got the puck out of the zone on a critical penalty kill late in the third, with the score tied at 2-2.

- Wonder how much Jake Parenteau’s leg was on his mind tonight as he played Michigan State, the team he broke it against back in December. He said earlier in the week that his leg was feeling great, and he wasn’t hesitant on the ice, but the thought had to cross his mind.

- Missing Ben Marshall, Michael Brodzinski & Tommy Serratore really hurt the Gophers tonight. Serratore is such a big part of the Minnesota game plan, between playing on a line with Seth Ambroz & Travis Boyd, playing on special teams, being physical, and blocking shots.

- The Gophers attempted 74 shots to Michigan State’s 43, in regulation. But the puck just wasn’t bouncing their way tonight.

- I’m going to keep complaining about these stupid shootouts, as long as the Gophers keep getting into them. I don’t like them at any level. I don’t think they’re entertaining. That’s the best thing about playoff hockey, you keep playing until somebody loses. These are pathetic.

Here are the post game comments:

Michigan State Head Coach Tom Anastos:

Regarding the game…. “I was unhappy with the approach to our game last weekend. I think we learned some lessons during the course of the week. We talked about growing up. I think we’ve taken a step forward in growing up, and like how we prepared for the week. And I think we competed pretty hard tonight. Our goaltender has been outstanding, and we’ve scored some timely goals. I guess you never know when you go into a shootout. I don’t want to jinx myself, but it certainly feels better to feel on that side of it, than the losing side. Our team’s getting better. I like that we competed hard”

Regarding the rivalries with Big Ten play…. “You know, the competition in the Big Ten is really going to build into something special. It’s premature to say too much, too soon. But you can feel the momentum building. We were excited to come here. We’re playing for points, and these are meaningful games in your conference. I think that dynamic in itself is going to add to the attention and the importance of the games. I think that’s the fun part of the Big Ten. I hope we build rivalries with Minnesota and the other schools. I think it would be good for college hockey”

Regarding the controversial shootout non-goal for MSU…. “They told me that the net was not in it’s place when the puck crossed the line… I think it’d be best that I not comment”

Minnesota Head Coach Don Lucia:

Regarding the game…. “I thought we had some good end zone time early in the first period. Then the goals that they had, two guys ran into each other in the corner and freed up a guy. And the second one, I think (Justin) Kloos lost an edge and fell in the corner. Then they rolled out and put in a good shot. It was a hard fought game like we expected it to be. I thought both goaltenders were sharp, and made some good plays. They make it difficult trying to get pucks through, and they do a good job blocking shots. It was just a hard fought game. We didn’t give up a lot. I think we had seventy some attempts to their forty, or something. But we gave up a couple of grade A’s. But I thought the kids played hard. They were into the game, you could hear it on the bench. Michigan State played well. They’ve been playing pretty good since christmas time, their goaltenders on a good run for them right now, and their healthier than what we saw there in December. They get around the rink well, and they’re a good team. We had chances. They did a good job deflecting us away from their net, and clogging the middle. Sometimes you hold onto it a little too much. But at that point, it’s a one shot game, and can go either way”

Regarding the controversial shootout non-goal for MSU…. “It didn’t have any bearing on the game ultimately, since they won it”

Regarding the power play…. “It’s good to have the power play. They scored another one tonight. Now we’ve got to get back to scoring a few goals five on five. I thought we had a few guys that had real good energy tonight, and hopefully they will tomorrow too”

Regarding Hudson Fasching…. “He’s putting himself in a position to score goals, when you’re around the blue paint, especially off rebounds. And that’s the type of player he is. We talked about it about a week and a half ago, that all of a sudden he was trying to play fancy, and play one on one hockey, and that’s not him. That’s not anyone at this level. Be a power forward, get in front, use your strength wide, and make plays that way“

Regarding Michigan State’s success against the Gophers in shootouts…. “Well, they’ve had it for years in the CCHA, so they’re used to it”

Regarding the rivalries with Big Ten play…. “I think that’s the great thing about the Big Ten conference, is they assure you that you play everyone home & home. So it’s going to be a true championship come the end of the year, because you have to play everybody four times, which I think is a good thing”

Regarding adjustments on Defense…. “I thought the five D held in there pretty good. I think there were some periods during the game I could see that they got a little fatigued. Especially when they got caught on the ice. When you get fatigued, you tend to make mental mistakes. But they held in their pretty good tonight. And Jake (Parenteau) is still coming back from his injury, and he’s not at one hundred percent yet as far as the physical part of it. It’ll be good to get Ben (Marshall) back in the lineup tomorrow night. It’s not adjustments, it will just be better for the other guys back there, that they won’t have to play as many minutes. If anyone can play a lot of minutes tomorrow it’ll be Marsh (Ben Marshall), because he’ll only play one game here this weekend”

Hudson Fasching:

Regarding the game…. “They’re a good team. They’re hard working, they block shots, and going forward we have to be smarter about it. I mean, we’ve gotta respect them, but we’ve gotta play our game. They were definitely trying to clog up the middle and block a lot of shots there. We’re trying to work it to the flanks. We weren’t as successful with it as we wanted to be. I think that’ll be more of a focus for us tomorrow, kicking it to the flanks and looking for those shots. We don’t take this as a win at all. We’re going to come out tomorrow and I think we’re going to be really strong. We’re going to be more motivated to beat these guys. They’ve taken points away from us in conference, and we’re not happy about that. We’re going to come out tomorrow and get the job done”

Regarding him regaining his scoring touch…. “I think I’ve focused on being in front of the net, and trying to find pucks. I’m making sure I’m using my body, trying to box guys out, and trying to bang home rebounds. Use my reflexes as best I can. They’ve all been rebound goals…we’ll take em”

Regarding shootouts…. “I think we enjoy it. It’s kind of a little bit of fun, but it’s also a little bit stressful, to be honest. But it’s a good way to get some finality in the game”

Regarding playing with Travis Boyd…. “I think Boyder’s really kind of found his groove on that side, and I’ve just been able to find the pucks that he’s been firing in. His shots really been coming in good, and I’m just bangin’ home rebounds”

Regarding missing players…. "Obviously, with Tom (Tommy Serratore) out, he’s kind of the heart and soul of our team. Having him out, there’s a hole in our team. And Marsh (Ben Marshall) and Brods (Michael Brodzinski) are great defenseman. It’s tough, but we’re going to have to battle through it”

The Gophers will take on the Spartans again tomorrow night. Game time is 7:00 PM (Central), with the game being broadcast on FSN-Plus.

Shootouts are terrible. However, whatever you and I think about them, they are part of the game and our shooters need to get it together. If Wilcox is able to blank them for the 3 regulation shots, our shooters really need to bury one.

Shootouts are terrible. However, whatever you and I think about them, they are part of the game and our shooters need to get it together. If Wilcox is able to blank them for the 3 regulation shots, our shooters really need to bury one.

How about they go through three shooters on each team, and if nobody scores, they go to another five minute overtime?? Yeah, I like where I'm going with this!

Top Bottom