Minnesota football: Ibrahim proved himself when given the ball

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Megan:

At the start of every week, the routine is the same: Running back Mohamed Ibrahim will stop by Gophers coach P.J. Fleck’s office for a gab session.

Nicknamed “Mo Mondays,” sometimes these chats are lively debates, sometimes they’re story-swapping, and sometimes they’re even a little bit like therapy.

“We talk about everything. Financial, relationships, religion, anything of that nature. So anything but football,” Ibrahim said. “I can learn from his mistakes. I can learn from what he did. He can give me tips, like, ‘I’ve seen, you’ve been doing this, you probably want to do that.’ … It’s definitely a learning relationship.”

Learning could be the theme of Ibrahim’s tenure with the Gophers so far. The sophomore running back learned how anything could happen during his redshirt year in 2017 when third-stringer Kobe McCrary ended up as the No. 2 back following an injury to Shannon Brooks.

The next season, Ibrahim knew he would be playing as a backup, giving starter Rodney Smith some breaks, with the Gophers planning on playing the recovering Brooks only four games. But then when Smith’s season was cut short by an injury, and when Brooks only returned for one game before more injury woes, Ibrahim was suddenly the guy.

“OK, it’s my turn,” is what Ibrahim told himself. He went on to rush 202 times for 1,160 yards and nine touchdowns as a freshman, including a single-game freshman record of 224 yards in the Quick Lane Bowl that earned him game MVP honors.

https://www.winonadailynews.com/min...cle_2768733e-f760-50c8-9843-ee13468916ac.html

Go Gophers!!

Our RBs are gunna so fun to watch this year.

We all hope Brooks and Smith can finish out their Gopher careers with a year of good health but if their health once again fails them it is awesome to know we have Mo in the mix.

Top Bottom