Minnesota Defacto Option Team?

noamfromm

Reaction score
The only 3 teams that run the ball a higher percentage than we do are Air Force, Army and Navy. We have run 455 plays which leaves us at 108th nationally. Additionally when looking at adjusted tempo we are second to last with only Air Force being slower than us.

The only 3 teams that run the ball a higher percentage than we do are Air Force, Army and Navy. We have run 455 plays which leaves us at 108th nationally. Additionally when looking at adjusted tempo we are second to last with only Air Force being slower than us.
There's that Jim Tressel influence...

We don't actually run the option, so, no — we're not an option team.

My question: why are people seemingly still surprised that Minnesota is a run-first team? It seems like every time I hear our head coach speak, he has stated quite clearly what his philosophy is on offense:

Recruit and develop a big, strong offensive line. Run first. Protect the football. Control the clock, shorten the game.

We don't run the option, so, no; not an option team.

My question: why are people still surprised that Minnesota is a run-first team? It seems like every time I hear our head coach speak, he has stated quite clearly what his philosophy is on offense.
Is anyone surprised that we are run first? Run first doesn't mean we have to be in the same tier as option teams

Is anyone surprised that we are run first? Run first doesn't mean we have to be in the same tier as option teams

You seem surprised — to me at least.

We are "in the same tier" in rushing attempts and "tempo" as those teams because our coach loves to run the football, and chew the clock. And it seems to be quite effective.

You seem surprised — to me at least.

We are "in the same tier" in rushing attempts and "tempo" as those teams because our coach loves to run the football, and chew the clock. And it seems to be quite effective.
We are only in the same tier this year. It's not as if all years with Fleck have looked like this.

Jeez, I had no idea the Gophers were running it this much. I knew it was a lot, but the most of any non-service academy?

I doubt it changes much today since Northwestern is worst in the Big Ten vs the run.

I stand by my original bet (which remains sadly unsettled) on Mo Ibrahim at 150:1 to win the Heisman. Had he not gotten injured, and given the poor performance of the other top QB contenders - Mo Ibrahim could have won it this year.

OK - here are average plays per game for Head Coach PJ Fleck-

1st at Western Michigan:

2013 - pass att 36.5 - rush att 32.4

2014 - pass att 28.6 - rush att 38.7

2015 - pass att 31.1 - rush att 40.5

2016 - pass att 27.0 - rush att 45.3

and now - at Minnesota:

2017 - pass att 19.4 - rush att 43.8

2018 - pass att 26.6 - rush att 40.2

2019 - pass att 24.8 - rush att 43.1

2020 - pass att 26.3 - rush att 43.0

2021 - pass att 18.3 - rush att 46.4

So 2021 is the fewest pass att per game in Fleck's head-coaching career

OK - here are average plays per game for Head Coach PJ Fleck-

1st at Western Michigan:

2013 - pass att 36.5 - rush att 32.4

2014 - pass att 28.6 - rush att 38.7

2015 - pass att 31.1 - rush att 40.5

2016 - pass att 27.0 - rush att 45.3

and now - at Minnesota:

2017 - pass att 19.4 - rush att 43.8

2018 - pass att 26.6 - rush att 40.2

2019 - pass att 24.8 - rush att 43.1

2020 - pass att 26.3 - rush att 43.0

2021 - pass att 18.3 - rush att 46.4

So 2021 is the fewest pass att per game in Fleck's head-coaching career
Thanks for the data SON

This could be a reaction to personnel - the Gophers have an old and huge OL that is a little sketchy in pass protection. They have the best blocking TE in America. Only 1 WR on the team consistently makes plays and he's been injured.

The pendulum could swing back again if healthy NFL caliber WRs emerge and the blitz pickups stay sound.

The running percentage will go down by the end of the season. Fleck's teams have always passed more when required against better BG10 competition.

This could be a reaction to personnel - the Gophers have an old and huge OL that is a little sketchy in pass protection. They have the best blocking TE in America. Only 1 WR on the team consistently makes plays and he's been injured.

The pendulum could swing back again if healthy NFL caliber WRs emerge and the blitz pickups stay sound.
This is likely the right answer.

Top Bottom