Minnesota can be successful at basketball and Gabe should have been a 4*

Are you saying Hoffarber was a role player? Cause I beg to differ.

Well when we found our team in a position where he couldn’t be a role player, the whole season melted down

His junior year when he could play the role he was good at the team was good and so was he.

Gabe should be the FEATURED PLAYER in our offense. Pitino has not done a good job getting shots for the guys that can make shots.

We should be using Gabe like UK is using (and featuring) Tyler Herro. It helps that Herro has outstanding talent around him, but he makes them click. Gabe not quite as electric but maybe an even better shooter.

I would tend to agree, but Wisconsin has the same problem of not being able to hold on to blue chip prospects and seems to be able to maintain success. Wojo coaching at Marquette has been a big thorn in Wisconsin's side as he has more of an appeal to blue chippers as he comes from the Duke/Coach K tree. Both the Hauser brothers went to Marquette, Diamond Stone to Maryland, JP Tokoto to UNC, Tyler Herro to Kentucky, Jordan McCabe to WV, etc. Really the only in-state blue chipper that Wisconsin has held on to recently is Sam Dekker. I will concede that Wisconsin does have a larger recruiting pool with Chicago being nearby, especially finding that diamond-in-the-rough like Frank Kaminksy that everyone else passes over.

And maybe this is where coaching comes in a little as well, and the ability to coach up a 3-star like Ethan Happ who only had 3 total offers, the other two from mid-majors, and allowing their system to help make him into an All-American.

I would list Koenig as a blue chipper who they kept in state. I think he had offers from duke and Kansas and Kentucky. Also, I don't think UW recruited McCabe. People fell in love with his mixtape but he's allergic to playing defense.
https://youtu.be/L_CtvSndZ_s

Mn can be on UWs level. They need a coach with an identity and recruits to that identity.

Last edited:

I would list Koenig as a blue chipper who they kept in state. I think he had offers from duke and Kansas and Kentucky. Also, I don't think UW recruited McCabe. People fell in love with his mixtape but he's allergic to playing defense.
https://youtu.be/L_CtvSndZ_s

Although this is true, anyone has to admit that without the 5-star Dekker, they don't go to the National Final. Nor would they have been a national title contender previous to that without Brian Butch. Those players put you over the top.

Top Bottom