Mike Stoops Revisted

Duluthguy

Reaction score
The last time there was a thread about Mike Stoops, there were only about five posts and most of them were negative. At the time, I probably would have agreed - mainly because of what several people called his sideline antics. Though, in a way he reminds me of Spurrier, and I kind of like that kind of game day passion - and sometimes anger.

My opinion of Stoops started to change when I recently saw him in a post game interview. He came across very well and very normal compared to how he acts on the sideline. Then I checked out some Youtube videos - same thing, nice, normal guy.

If you approach Stoops with an open mind, at least on paper he looks pretty good:
Raised in mid-west.
Played in Big Ten (Do we discount him because it was Iowa? Remember, he beat Iowa this year.)
Assistant at Iowa, Kansas State, Oklahoma.
Big name in a big coaching family.
Right age range - around 48 or so.
Started at Arizona in 2004 at 3-8 and has built it up to currently #18 in the country.
We can easily top his salary. A couple of regents had a fit when they raised it to slightly over $1mil.

I'm not saying Stoops is the right guy for the job, but I see some things to like, especially when compared to many second tier candidates being mentioned with less experience at non-BCS schools. Take a seond, open look at him. Where would he fit on your list? Right now, I think I might put him right in between first and second tier candidates. Am I off base?

The last time there was a thread about Mike Stoops, there were only about five posts and most of them were negative. At the time, I probably would have agreed - mainly because of what several people called his sideline antics. Though, in a way he reminds me of Spurrier, and I kind of like that kind of game day passion - and sometimes anger.

My opinion of Stoops started to change when I recently saw him in a post game interview. He came across very well and very normal compared to how he acts on the sideline. Then I checked out some Youtube videos - same thing, nice, normal guy.

If you approach Stoops with an open mind, at least on paper he looks pretty good:
Raised in mid-west.
Played in Big Ten (Do we discount him because it was Iowa? Remember, he beat Iowa this year.)
Assistant at Iowa, Kansas State, Oklahoma.
Big name in a big coaching family.
Right age range - around 48 or so.
Started at Arizona in 2004 at 3-8 and has built it up to currently #18 in the country.
We can easily top his salary. A couple of regents had a fit when they raised it to slightly over $1mil.

I'm not saying Stoops is the right guy for the job, but I see some things to like, especially when compared to many second tier candidates being mentioned with less experience at non-BCS schools. Take a seond, open look at him. Where would he fit on your list? Right now, I think I might put him right in between first and second tier candidates. Am I off base?

He would be in my top 5.

i love the energy and passion Stoops brings. it was one of the few things i liked about brewster

I was hoping Stoops would be considered. He builds on defense (like Fry), but has a good offense, too. He's Midwestern, doing well in a tough league, and would be a good fit for the Big Ten. I hope he's in the mix. Depends on him, I suppose.

I was hoping Stoops would be considered. He builds on defense (like Fry), but has a good offense, too. He's Midwestern, doing well in a tough league, and would be a good fit for the Big Ten. I hope he's in the mix. Depends on him, I suppose.

Is he really doing well? until last years success, he was considered a pretty big bust by most.
he screams at his players, just like his brother. throws them under the bus in the media, just like his brother. he's got a boatload of personal issues.

with the talent they have had, especially defensively, they have underachieved.

Is he really doing well? until last years success, he was considered a pretty big bust by most.
he screams at his players, just like his brother. throws them under the bus in the media, just like his brother. he's got a boatload of personal issues.

with the talent they have had, especially defensively, they have underachieved.

They shown a steady improvement in record every year. What do you compare him against for success? I you think you are getting Bob Stoops, then yeah it will probably be a bust. He didn't turn that program around overnight, but it has trended upward ever since he arrived.

The Stoops brothers are the first coaches to scream at players? I was unaware.

Actually, I'm beginning to believe we need a coach that yells at players.

He is 40-40....not the winning coach that it grew the program from scratch....but he has improved recently....so he has almost the qualities that Bruininks and Maturi have said are important requirements for the new fb coach.

Harbaugh beat him soundly last week..... back up the $ truck and bring Harbaugh to Mpls.

GM

He is 40-40....not the winning coach that it grew the program from scratch....but he has improved recently....so he has almost the qualities that Bruininks and Maturi have said are important requirements for the new fb coach.

Harbaugh beat him soundly last week..... back up the $ truck and bring Harbaugh to Mpls.

GM

Not that I don't want Harbaugh to be considered, but we base our hiring preference off of one game? Lets also not forget that although a double edged sword, Harbaugh currently has a recruiting tool that can be used to his advantage that he wouldn't have at the U, academics.

Arizona has beaten Iowa more recently than we have. I like Stoops.

gyi0061722764.jpg

Not that I don't want Harbaugh to be considered, but we base our hiring preference off of one game? Lets also not forget that although a double edged sword, Harbaugh currently has a recruiting tool that can be used to his advantage that he wouldn't have at the U, academics.

I'm not advocating Harbaugh based on one game. Just pointing out he was whipped by someone who I think is better.

Are you serious on academics??? The U is highly ranked in a LOT of degrees. Not all outrank Stanford but many do. Chem E for example is top notch nationwide. So is the bone marrow transplant trials office in the medical college.

The U isn't like Alabama....thank goodness. :)

GM

The U is strong in academics, Stanford is elite (Ivy League level).

I'm not sure that is neccesarily a recruiting tool or if it is a hinderance, but there is a large difference in the level of academics between the two schools.

stoops is a nice choice. a darker than dark horse that i like is the navy coach. he runs the triple option (georgia tech coach brought it there), is a great offensive mind. MN would be only team in conf with that offense. hard to prepare for in one week and requires the least amount of talent (something MN is known for!). he's a great motivator and class act.

Top Bottom