Mike Farrell: Rivalry Comparison: Minnesota vs Iowa

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Farrell:

Big Ten: Iowa (667-563-39) vs. Minnesota (706-524-44)

Head-to-Head: Minnesota leads 62-50-2

One of the most played rivalries in college football history for one of the great trophies (the Floyd of Rosedale), these bitter rivals have two distinct eras of dominance - Minnesota was 26-9 against Iowa before World War II, but the Hawkeyes have gone 28-12 in their past 40 matchups. A lot of people forget just how good Minnesota's teams were under Bernie Bierman in the 1930s and 40s - of the Gophers' seven claimed national titles came during a span from 1934-1941. Of the Hawkeyes' five national titles, three came under Forest Evashevski in the late 50s. Iowa has outpaced its rivals in bowl appearances (33-21), weeks ranked (341-174) and first round picks (23-18), but the Gophers have more consensus All-Americans (34-29), weeks at No. 1 in the polls (18-11) and conference titles (18-13).

Verdict: Iowa. This is another close one, but Iowa's dominance in the polls really shows how consistent of a program its been, especially over the past 40 years.

Go Gophers!!

IOWA!
Also for those with Athletic subscription. Pretty good read on Floyd of Rosedale.

This. So much this.

No dinks in this thread.

Go Gophers!!

I was at a game at Kinnick. Hawkeye fans yelled "Gophers suck." I was deeply disappointed. Not at smack talk, I'm totally cool with that, I was just hoping for some quality smack. That was like ordering your smack talk on Wish.com.

Top Bottom