Might Kevin Coble's injury be the best thing for Northwestern?

coolhandgopher

Reaction score
Obviously not for this year-if not for Iowa, it seems likely Northwestern would finish in the BT cellar. However, let's assume that Coble comes back to play next season for Northwestern and is healthy. A few things to consider:
* Even with Coble healthy, the consensus seemed to be that the Wildcats would finish eighth, maybe seventh in the strong Big Ten this season; finishing eighth would likely but them on the wrong side of the NCAA bubble.
* While the Big Ten is arguably at its strongest since the glory days of the '80s, many stalwarts will be using up their eligibility at Michigan St (Morgan), Minnesota (Westbrook, DJ), Wisconsin (Hughes, Bohannon), Michigan (Sims); in addition some very talented underclassmen such as Evan Turner, Manny Harris, Jajuan Johnson, Robbie Hummel, E'Twuan Moore, Talor Battle, William Buford and Kalin Lucas could be early entry candidates for the NBA draft. It's unlikely that next season the Big 10 will be as strong overall as this year.
* Besides Coble, the other two seniors on Northwestern are Jeremy Nash and Jeff Ryan who didn't contribute much to this point and who each seem to be facing their own health issues. The nucleus of Michael Thompson and John Shurna and the rest of the team along with a highly regarded wing recruit (name escapes me) should be on board next season for the Wildcats.

So, if Coble returns and returns healthy, he would join senior Thompson, junior Shurna, most of the rest of the Wildcats with at least one talented freshman joining the fold to take their shot in a still challenging, but not nearly as daunting Big Ten as this season. Although the talent level for many of the other teams will be replenished with wonderful talent, the Wildcats will be one of the more veteran teams and their style should frustrate that youth and perhaps sneak out a few unexpected wins in Big Ten play. And then, perhaps Northwestern will finally break their NCAA cherry.

(On another note. . .Gopher fans may be excited about '10-11, but Illinois fans are probably already looking into reserving tickets for the Final Four site. They lose virtually no one off this year's team and they welcome on board a really solid freshman group, on top of a stellar freshman class this year. The future looks bright in Champaign).

(On another note. . .Gopher fans may be excited about '10-11, but Illinois fans are probably already looking into reserving tickets for the Final Four site. They lose virtually no one off this year's team and they welcome on board a really solid freshman group, on top of a stellar freshman class this year. The future looks bright in Champaign).

Do you also post under the moniker "Combes"? :D

Seriously, I was thinking the same thing. I think NW would have been competitive this year, but NCAAs were still looking tough. At this point they might actually be an odds on favorite to make the Tourney next year.

This is like the 3rd thread about something called "coble" from Northwestern...Nobody cares about some no-count on a big ten bottom feeder

Apparently there are at least a few people (myself included) who do care about matters related to Big 10 basketball. So saying "nobody cares" wouldn't be accurate. Why don't you just say, "I don't care" and leave it at that. Or, better yet, don't open any threads about Coble if it bothers you that much.

No, I'm not doubling for Combes, but boy does that Illinois team look imposing over the next few seasons. Don't know if they'll be back to the DeronWilliams/Dee Brown/Luther Head glory days, but they'll be strong. Certainly not a shill for the Illini though :)

I've moved to the point of bemusement when some poster comes on the board and throws down mandates about what we can and should be talking about, and for some how it's sacrilege to discuss anything not Gopher related. I've been on this board a long time and I've loved college basketball since I was a pup. The Gophers are first in my heart, but I find the entire scene fascinating-the games, the programs, the coaches, the recruiting, the players, the seedy underbelly. I believe the board is a better place when there is a variety of topics being discussed and let's face it, the mileage on the Royce White, Trevor M. and Cory Joseph storylines have reached saturation until something new actually occurs. I'm a strong believer in "if the headline doesn't interest you, don't read the thread" and pretty much leave it at that. Might be a good idea to do the same yourself.

Top Bottom