Michigan

Michigan is just plain sick the way they are playing right now.

Get ready for a double digit home loss this weekend.

100% this. I don't where he lost it, but Gabe plays without any passion whatsoever. He works his ass off and plays hard and we all admire that. But, for some reason, there is no happiness in his play.

He took a charge a few games ago, his teammates rush to help him up, high five him, congratulate him, and Gabe gets up with no reaction at all like he just found out he flunked a final exam. His teammates have to be wondering what is up.

We need "air guitar" Gabe back, have some fun Gabe. Its a game!

It is almost like this self-imposed pressure and he can't set himself free.
Some people are wired that way and its one of those things that needs to be overcome, meaning they put a lot of pressure on themselves. I think last year was hard on Gabe, because he took on a lot of the pressure to carry the load, but really wasn't given good opportunities to succeed. He had to shoot, but his shots had to be taken on the move or he had guys in his face. Lower success rates due to difficulty then compounded into more and more mental pressure. I see evidence that this is the case due to claims of him still shooting well in practice. Practice is a much lower pressure environment, especially if you feel responsibility to carry the team.

Last edited:

Michigan is just plain sick the way they are playing right now.

Get ready for a double digit home loss this weekend.
Looks that way, but michigan not gonna blow everyone out every game. They've been rolling, but they have been at home last 3 games too. If I had a gun to my head I would have to play Michigan, but it wouldnt shock me if we keep it close.

Looks that way, but michigan not gonna blow everyone out every game. They've been rolling, but they have been at home last 3 games too. If I had a gun to my head I would have to play Michigan, but it wouldnt shock me if we keep it close.
Would not shock me if we won.

Some people are wired that way and its one of those things that needs to be overcome, meaning they put a lot of pressure on themselves. I think last year was hard on Gabe, because he took on a lot of the pressure to carry the load, but really wasn't given good opportunities to succeed. He had to shoot, but his shots had to be taken on the move or he had guys in his face. Lower success rates due to difficulty then compounded into more and more mental pressure. I see evidence that this is the case due to claims of him still shooting well in practice. Practice is a much lower pressure environment, especially if you feel responsibility to carry the team.

Yeah, my observation wasn't meant as a knock on Gabe at all. It was more of a hope that he breaks out of the shooting woes. I agree, I think he is wired that way and it'd be nice for him to free himself from the pressure somehow. I hope he does. Either way, he is a hard worker and a top defender and deserving of every minute he gets, period.

Last edited:

Play defense and get to the free-throw line, 6 of 6 last game not gonna cut it this time around either. Not a good enough shooting team to win without getting to the line more.

Also please avoid the turnovers that lead to immediate points seems like we had 5 or 6 last time we played them that went for uncontested layups.

I think the King of "Lets not get too crazy about anything" was Tim Duncan. Maybe Gabe emulates that. I used to love it when a player used to make a nice play and act like "Look at Me, That was Totally Awesome", and then watch Duncan make a far greater play in a bigger moment and act like "Yeah, I can do that pretty much anytime I feel like it, so what's the big deal?".

Also made him on of the best all-time The Onion characters. Headlines like: "Tim Duncan Urges All-Stars To Use Inside Voice During Game", "Citing Battle Of Agincourt, Tim Duncan Urges Lakers Not To Get Too Discouraged By Game 1 Loss", "Tim Duncan Encourages Teammates To Be Fathers First, Basketball Players Second", "Tim Duncan Urges Teammates To Be Patient With Frequent-Flyer Miles", "Tim Duncan Sternly Reminds Spurs About Maximum Occupancy Limit Of Locker Room", and, at the end of his playing career, "Retiring Tim Duncan Provides Spurs With Forwarding Address For His Subscription To ‘The Economist’".

Yeah, my observation wasn't meant as a knock on Gabe at all. It was more of a hope that he breaks out of the shooting woes. I agree, I think he is wired that way and it'd be nice for him to free himself from the pressure somehow. I hope he does. Either way, he is a hard worker and a top defender and deserving of every minute he gets, period.

All true. I just am not at all sure we can have a top half of the big ten type of season without Gabe returning to freshman form with his shooting. We dont have the talent to consistently overcome 30% 3 pt shooting. It is what it is.

I think the King of "Lets not get too crazy about anything" was Tim Duncan. Maybe Gabe emulates that. I used to love it when a player used to make a nice play and act like "Look at Me, That was Totally Awesome", and then watch Duncan make a far greater play in a bigger moment and act like "Yeah, I can do that pretty much anytime I feel like it, so what's the big deal?".

Personally, I'm always a little more fearful of a guy who pulls off amazing stuff and acts like "I'm just cruising. Wait until you see what I'll do to you if you actually get me fired up!". It's like, "if he thinks that Jaw-Dropping play was just par for the course, I wonder what he's actually capable of? Better not test him.".

Maybe on that charge, Gabe was thinking "I made the defensive rotation I was supposed to make, got into the spot I was supposed to get into, what's the big deal about just executing my assignment the way I'm supposed to?". Not saying that's what was in his head, but who knows?

If Gabe keeps playing the best and most consistent defense on the team and continues to work on other ways to contribute to the offense if the 3 isn't falling (if you're wide open and it's in rhythm, you've GOT to take it) I'm absolutely fine with him staying on the floor and not smiling.
Tim ran into Bjorn Borg one day and said "Hi". Borg told him to quiet down.

This is Michigans most difficult road game so far and it is not close (Maryland)

This is Michigans most difficult road game so far and it is not close (Maryland)

Yes, agree. This should be a game that we expect to be competitive in. If I am Michigan, I am happy as all get out with a win here.

Top Bottom