Michigan State Football: 3 most impactful transfers for 2021 season (ITAYVION BROWN, MINNESOTA)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Connor:

This choice might be a bit of a surprise given the fact that he’s one of the least talked-about additions to the 2021 roster, but people don’t realize that Itayvion Brown was PJ Fleck’s top 2020 prospect at Minnesota and he held over a dozen impressive offers out of high school.

But Brown didn’t see the field in 2020 and decided to hit the portal. He wanted to pick a school that would give him a real shot to see the field and Michigan State is a perfect fit.

Although the new defensive look is a 4-2-5, the Spartans still lacked linebacker depth and he should see the field immediately. He stands 6-3 and 218 pounds and the former four-star prospect from Saint Louis should help the Spartans’ linebacking corps go from desolate to somewhat comfortable in 2021.

Yes, I believe he’ll be a more impactful transfer than Ben VanSumeren. But the Spartans could land an even more impactful linebacker in the portal as the offseason progresses.

Go Gophers!!

Disappointing that Brown can be a one and done, transfer within the conference, and then be eligible to play right away. Should've had to give us two years before getting to use the portal, assuming the coaching staff that recruited him here is still here (Fleck obviously still is).

At least we don't play them this year. But starting in 2022, they'll be our every year cross-over from the East (replacing Maryland).

Getting the Ohio State & Indiana rotation this year is certainly no treat. Along with P5 Colorado, going to be a very difficult schedule.

No sitting out a year anymore Big Ten to Big Ten? Or is this a covid rule thing? I thought you had to sitout a year unless it is a grad transfer

Disappointing that Brown can be a one and done, transfer within the conference, and then be eligible to play right away. Should've had to give us two years before getting to use the portal, assuming the coaching staff that recruited him here is still here (Fleck obviously still is).

At least we don't play them this year. But starting in 2022, they'll be our every year cross-over from the East (replacing Maryland).

Getting the Ohio State & Indiana rotation this year is certainly no treat. Along with P5 Colorado, going to be a very difficult schedule.
I agree, should at least have to go out of the conference. But, I’m not too worried about it in this case. I don’t know the backstory on why Mr. Brown transferred, but my hunch is it will not be smooth sailing for him at his new location.

MSU hit the transfer portal hard with 11 guys coming in. Story makes it seem like he hasn't actually seen any of these guys in action and is just making some assumptions based on where they were ranked out of high school. Maybe Brown will be big time for them but only time will tell. Shame he transferred in conference but it is what it is at this piont.

per Connor:

This choice might be a bit of a surprise given the fact that he’s one of the least talked-about additions to the 2021 roster, but people don’t realize that Itayvion Brown was PJ Fleck’s top 2020 prospect at Minnesota and he held over a dozen impressive offers out of high school.

But Brown didn’t see the field in 2020 and decided to hit the portal. He wanted to pick a school that would give him a real shot to see the field and Michigan State is a perfect fit.

Although the new defensive look is a 4-2-5, the Spartans still lacked linebacker depth and he should see the field immediately. He stands 6-3 and 218 pounds and the former four-star prospect from Saint Louis should help the Spartans’ linebacking corps go from desolate to somewhat comfortable in 2021.

Yes, I believe he’ll be a more impactful transfer than Ben VanSumeren. But the Spartans could land an even more impactful linebacker in the portal as the offseason progresses.

Go Gophers!!
At MS Itavion is 6’3” 218. At Minn, before his transfer, he was 6’4” 235. He shrunk quickly.

It is disappointing to see a top class recruit enter the portal and then land on a future cross-over opponent.

We may never know the reason. It is still disappointing. I think every recruiting class have more substantial attrition than we envision. Maybe someone can map every Fleck recruiting class, and see how many are still on the team after four years. The attrition rate may surprise. It is the reality of college football. Career changing injuries, deaths, academic fallout, disciplinary issues, lack of playing time, homesickness, family health issues, etc...

The Transfer Portal may be a new weapon to mitigate losses. I throw caution into the wind. What may look like a delicious sweet pie behind the counter might be a bitter pie.

"Brown didn't see the field in 2020".

Hmmmmm... our 2020 defense was less than spectacular, as I recall. Yet he didn't play. Is it possible Brown simply isn't as good a player as we once thought?

"Brown didn't see the field in 2020".

Hmmmmm... our 2020 defense was less than spectacular, as I recall. Yet he didn't play. Is it possible Brown simply isn't as good a player as we once thought?
Maybe he doesn't take well to teaching and to new adjustments in a team scheme given he was the top recruit, purely speculative.

There is no 'i" in Gopher.

The comments above (RememberMurray and Hungan1) probably tell the real story. Somebody earlier had speculated that players like Brown don't play in their initial season (not even on special teams, where you would expect a super-athlete to see time) because they are "academic" red-shirts. I don't know exactly what that means, but I assume it refers to what is essentially an initial remedial year in which promising athletes are tasked to bring up (1) academic performance to the University's minimum and (2) commitment to academic life to PJ's minimum. Maybe Brown was having a problem with this and got cross-wise with the coaches. This might have led to some off-the-field behavior that was outside expected norms. He probably needed a fresh start, where he would have no baggage. I wish him the best of luck in his new spot, and in life, even though he will play for one of our opponents.

Last edited:

That makes a lot more sense. With PJ Fleck, you don't see much playing time until you take care of school business first.

Top Bottom