Michigan had a wet dream game. Accept it, move on

Ogee Ogilthorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
You're going to win a lot of games when you knock down 13 3-pointers. Why not just give Michigan the nod for playing their best conference game of the year and move on? Unlike the Gophers, they had at LEAST 4 (usually 5) SHOOTERS on the floor at any given time. Some nights, some guys will get hot.

Yes, the Gophers gave up too many open looks. That's coaching, without question? You're sure that it's not players just not being able to cover their man?

Michigan got hot at home, period. I'm not happy about it, I'd bet my paycheck it doesn't happen at the Barn the next time around, so we'll see what happens.

I just have two frustrations really:

> leaving shooters open too often
> lazy passes (ones by Nolen and Westbrook stick out) by players who should know better.

I don't know how long it's going to take some of you to figure out: this team isn't blessed with a great deal of offensive firepower. How hard is that to understand?

When you aren't blessed with great scorers or shooters, you're an easy team to defend and right now, that's just what the Rodents are. I'm not sure I'd WANT to be Tubby right now. What do you do? Put your best defensive team on the floor and hope to get some unexpected offense or offense off your defense? Or sacrifice some defense in HOPES that somebody will get hot offensively?

Well, you could maybe press for an extended period of time before the team is down by 20.

You could also keep JAS and Busch on the bench, they provide nothing.

This game reminded me A LOT of our home game against Penn State. We couldn't miss that day. Michigan couldn't miss tonight.

Things will be much, much different when they come to The Barn.

Well, you could maybe press for an extended period of time before the team is down by 20.

You could also keep JAS and Busch on the bench, they provide nothing.

I disagree with your assessment of Busch. He understands the game, is a decent shooter (including 3's), and is fundamentally sound. He may not look the smoothest at all times, but he is solid. Play him more. I agree on JAS, when not hitting 3's is average, at best, and does not offer much.

You're going to win a lot of games when you knock down 13 3-pointers. Why not just give Michigan the nod for playing their best conference game of the year and move on? Unlike the Gophers, they had at LEAST 4 (usually 5) SHOOTERS on the floor at any given time. Some nights, some guys will get hot.

Yes, the Gophers gave up too many open looks. That's coaching, without question? You're sure that it's not players just not being able to cover their man?

Michigan got hot at home, period. I'm not happy about it, I'd bet my paycheck it doesn't happen at the Barn the next time around, so we'll see what happens.

> lazy passes (ones by Nolen and Westbrook stick out) by players who should know better.

I don't know how long it's going to take some of you to figure out: this team isn't blessed with a great deal of offensive firepower. How hard is that to understand?

When you aren't blessed with great scorers or shooters, you're an easy team to defend and right now, that's just what the Rodents are. I'm not sure I'd WANT to be Tubby right now. What do you do? Put your best defensive team on the floor and hope to get some unexpected offense or offense off your defense? Or sacrifice some defense in HOPES that somebody will get hot offensively?[/QUOTE]

Sounds eerily like excuses for not winning.

There are a few teams in the b10 with the same issues. Gophers have no sense of offense at all, and the D is weak as well. That is coaching.

When you aren't blessed with great scorers or shooters, you're an easy team to defend and right now, that's just what the Rodents are. I'm not sure I'd WANT to be Tubby right now. What do you do? Put your best defensive team on the floor and hope to get some unexpected offense or offense off your defense? Or sacrifice some defense in HOPES that somebody will get hot offensively?

Play a lot of guys and press and run as much as possible- avoid the half court sets.

OR

Play less guys and develop cohesive units that work together well for extended minutes.

I was watching Big 10 Tonight last night (I didn't see the game) and they commentators were questioning the Gophers heart and effort. They also said that Tubby feels that the teams confidence is low.

Sounds eerily like excuses for not winning.

There are a few teams in the b10 with the same issues. Gophers have no sense of offense at all, and the D is weak as well. That is coaching.
You're consistent, TT/ZTA. You've been criticizing Tubby shortly after he arrived and are still grieving the loss of Monson. Bygones, ZTA, bygones.

You're consistent, TT/ZTA. You've been criticizing Tubby shortly after he arrived and are still grieving the loss of Monson. Bygones, ZTA, bygones.

Not sure what you are talking about, snowman. Why do you continue to call me zta?

The former coach is the former coach. Nothing more, nothing less - why do I care? The goal is to win the big 10 title and the ncaa title. I did not criticize Tubby, simply pointed out that the current problems being experienced by the Gophers relate directly to coaching.

By the way, it looks like Monson has his team in first place in their league.

Let me explain, TT

I agree with Snowman.
But on the very outside chance, let me explain Mr. Truth. Someone who posted in the same content and style used to post here, and in irritation, most people used the ignore option and ceased to respond to him. So you're not the same person? Could be, but once people get accustomed to the new board's features you could suffer the same fate.

I agree with Snowman.
But on the very outside chance, let me explain Mr. Truth. Someone who posted in the same content and style used to post here, and in irritation, most people used the ignore option and ceased to respond to him. So you're not the same person? Could be, but once people get accustomed to the new board's features you could suffer the same fate.

No need to respond at all Moonlight and whomever else - unnecessary. Those posters willing to be rational and converse - great.

There is no way - NO WAY - you can write that off as a hot night for Michigan. They had open look after open look all night long. Trying to to call it a "wet dream game" is not only wrong, but just flat out stupid. The Gophers need to fix the defense now, along with the offense. The team of earlier this year is gone, for whatever reason. The incarnation taking the floor now wouldn't even win an NIT game.

Top Bottom