Miami (OH) HC on facing OSU: It's like going to recess & they have the first 85 picks

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Miami (OH) HC on facing OSU: It's like going to recess & they have the first 85 picks

Go Gophers!!

That's one way to slam your own players. I mean he's not wrong but probably isn't something I'd say publicly.

That's one way to slam your own players. I mean he's not wrong but probably isn't something I'd say publicly.

This is where controlled release of anger, etc. comes into play. Miami of OH players just need to go out and play. Stating the obvious, they have absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain. We've seen the flipside of this the last three weeks! The coaches comments take all of the pressure off of his players, and should p!$$ the the players off royally behind the scenes. Nothing would be sweeter to those players (I'm assuming that the majority are Ohio natives) then to upstage the Buckeyes. Even if only for a few plays!

To quote Khalid El-Amin (and others) "Shock the World"

Meh,

I think his team knows that OSU definitely has more talent and OSU didn't offer any of them out of HS. Plenty of coaches play the "They didn't want you coming out of HS, go prove them wrong" angle or the angle that your own guys got overlooked and have a chip on their shoulder. He didn't say they can't win.

Meh,

I think his team knows that OSU definitely has more talent and OSU didn't offer any of them out of HS. Plenty of coaches play the "They didn't want you coming out of HS, go prove them wrong" angle or the angle that your own guys got overlooked and have a chip on their shoulder. He didn't say they can't win.

Yes, but that's not the point here.

Of course Miami (OH) players are "less talented". So are the players on 99% of the teams in the country.

So... why bother playing the games, then? Let's just grade each team by composite recruitment rankings and hand out the trophy to the team with the most stars/dots. We could save a lot of time and effort that way.

I agree with GophersInIowa. Crapping on your own players is a poor motivational tool. He should be telling them, "Let's show the world we can play with these guys". Instead, he's saying in effect, "You guys are far from the pick of the litter."

At least that's what I got from the quote.

Last edited:

Yes, but that's not the point here.

Of course Miami (OH) players are "less talented". So are the players on 99% of the teams in the country.

So... why bother playing the games, then? Let's just grade each team by composite recruitment rankings and hand out the trophy to the team with the most stars/dots. We could save a lot of time and effort that way.

I agree with GophersInIowa. Crapping on your own players is a poor motivational tool. He should be telling them, "Let's show the world we can play with these guys". Instead, he's saying in effect, "You guys are far from the pick of the litter."

At least that's what I got from the quote.

I bet the message to the players is totally different.

I bet the message to the players is totally different.

It may have been completely different.

We can speculate freely. We have no way of knowing one way or the other. All we have is the direct quote.

The quote alone just comes off as if he doesn't want his players but only recruited them because he had no choice. Again, it's technically not wrong but it sends the wrong message in my opinion. Not a big deal, just an observation.

Took the train to the game Saturday. Talked with a Georgia Southern fan. I told him any team can win on a given Saturday... unless you’re playing Ohio State! He laughed and agreed.

It may have been completely different.

We can speculate freely. We have no way of knowing one way or the other. All we have is the direct quote.

I can accept that. I just don't think it is all that big of a deal to the Miami of Ohio players. I think they will be motivated to play in Ohio Stadium vs the team they probably dreamed of being on.

Like someone else stated, it is Lou Holtz-ish.

The quote alone just comes off as if he doesn't want his players but only recruited them because he had no choice. Again, it's technically not wrong but it sends the wrong message in my opinion. Not a big deal, just an observation.

I agree.

This coach should be aware that the same "logic" applies to head coaches as well.

He's not the head coach at some helmet school, and maybe that's because he's not exactly the pick of the litter himself.

It made me laugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meh,

Agreed. Non issue.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

It's also incredibly (and blatantly) self-serving, in my eyes.

"Hey, we'll probably get blown out, but you sure can't blame me. After all, those OSU coaches have all that talent to work with. All we have is their rejects. How can you expect us poor Miami (OH) coaches to compete with that?"

I mean, that's not far from the truth.

It's also incredibly (and blatantly) self-serving, in my eyes.

"Hey, we'll probably get blown out, but you sure can't blame me. After all, those OSU coaches have all that talent to work with. All we have is their rejects. How can you expect us poor Miami (OH) coaches to compete with that?"

WTF?

Not at all. Sensitive much?

Nope. Just wondering why you posted "WTF". That stands for "what the .....", yes? So... was there something you need clarified in what I posted?

Last edited:

Nope. Just wondering why you posted "WTF". That stands for "what the .....", yes? So... was there something you need clarified in what I posted?

Yes. Why do you care so much? This is a coach from another team. His players suck compared to tOSU players... Why do you CARE? WTF?

Miami almost certainly has a few guys who would get reps for Ohio State. Their best 2-4 guys would probably start for this current OSU team. But none of them were probably offered by Ohio State out of HS, which makes it an apt analogy.

Yes. Why do you care so much? This is a coach from another team. His players suck compared to tOSU players... Why do you CARE? WTF?

If you check the thread title, this thread is a discussion of the Miami (OH) coach, and especially his comments about his team. Everyone here is talking about that, not just me. Was there something about my posts in particular you found puzzling? If so, maybe you could copy and paste an example of whatever it was...?

Last edited:

Top Bottom