Mertz enters the portal

While it is funny that he's transferring after spurning the Gophers for the Badgers, but I really feel like Wisco is going to have a Russell Wilson 2.0 type transfer that immediately makes them much better

We have AK as starter, with Knuth to push him as backup, and true freshman Viotto coming in next fall (or maybe enrolls early for spring) to run the scout team.

We're good at QB.

His dad, Ron Mertz was an offensive lineman for the Gophs from 1989-1992.
I suspect that the legacy angle is the only reason Minnesota was on this “schools to watch” list. He’s going to transfer somewhere he has a decent chance of playing and that just isn’t Minnesota.

I cannot believe MN is on his watch list. I mean he would probably be more than good enough to be on our roster, but I would think this is AK's team next year.

Whoops, yep! Just seems like he got passed over this year, so would seem like a transfer candidate. Or position change candidate if he wants to stay.

It's one thing to let a walk-on stick around, but to have a guy who's likely never coming off the bench going forward eating up a scholarship ...

Top Bottom