Memorial Day Reflections

DL65

Reaction score
Hello all! It’s been a long time since I made my last post on Gopherhole. So, on this solemn holiday weekend, I’ve decided to make a post about Gopher football history, family history, Iowa Hawkeye football history, military history, and heroism. I posted this piece two years ago on Facebook. (A little long, but I hope you read this piece to its end.) DL65 – Harv Sprafka

In 1915, my dad’s oldest brother, Joseph M. Sprafka, was a student at the University of Minnesota and a member of the school’s track team. In his junior year, he was encouraged to try out for the football team, a sport he had not played while growing up in Perham, MN. When he met legendary College Football Hall of Fame coach Dr. Henry L. Williams (136-33-11), he told Williams he hadn’t played football and Williams reportedly said, “Good! I won’t have to unlearn you from bad habits.”

Because of his athleticism, smarts, and can-do attitude, he soon worked his way up to back-up to future Hall of Fame football coach Bernie Bierman. Prior to their game with Illinois Bierman suffered a leg injury and my uncle was named the starter at halfback. Minnesota and Illinois played to a six-six tie. My uncle scored the Gophers touchdown on a long run. The 1915 team finished 6-0-1 and were conference champs.

The 1916 team was a very dominant team; they scored 348 points and allowed 28 in seven games. My uncle was a starting halfback and had a very productive season. As an example, he scored four touchdowns against the Iowa Hawkeyes in a 67-0 win. This is not a dig at my Hawkeye friends, you’ll see why I picked the Iowa game, later.

The following week Minnesota was heavily favored against the Fighting Illini. Sportswriters from the east coast were present, for there was talk of a possible national championship for Minnesota. But, alas, it wasn’t the Gophers day for whatever reason. Williams said, simply, he was out coached. The Gophers were upset 14-9. My uncle scored Minnesota’s touchdown. The following week Minnesota beat Wisconsin 55-0 and then a week later they defeated Chicago 49-0.

The following spring my uncle was awarded the Big Ten Conference Medal (the conference at that time was called the Western Conference). Each spring, conference schools select a senior athlete that had excelled athletically and academically. In 1982, women athletes were added. So, each school now selects both. (Staying with football, recently Minnesota selected outside linebacker Carter Coughlin; the Hawkeyes selected quarterback Nate Stanley.)

When you look at the group photo of the 1916 team, you’ll see my uncle is second in on the left side in the second row. (Carpe Diem – Dead Poets Society moment.) I would like you to look at the player to my uncle’s right, James “Jimmy” Ballentine. Not only were they football teammates, but they also were teammates on the Gophers track team. More importantly, however, they were best friends.

After the U.S. entered World War I on April 6, 1917, many young men enlisted, including Ballentine. He was an officer and was killed in action while he was rescuing a wounded soldier. He was awarded the Purple Heart, posthumously. He died on October 9, 1918, 33 days before the signing of the Armistice that ended World War I. In 1919, VFW Post #246 in the Uptown district honored Minneapolis native James Ballentine and named the post after him. He was a good student and of great promise. He had planned to have a career in law.

When the two teams met on the gridiron in 1916, Iowa had an outstanding tackle, Fred Becker. Becker was sophomore and played only one season. He was named All-American, Iowa’s first in any sport. The following spring, Becker enlisted as an officer and was a highly decorated war hero. He was awarded a Silver Star for valor, Distinguished Service Cross – second to the Congressional Medal of Honor – and France’s Croix de Guerre, their highest military award for valor. Becker had taken out an enemy machine gun nest by himself; a few weeks later he was leading a platoon toward another machine gun nest when he was cut down by a bullet and died on July 18, 1918. Becker was an excellent student, of great promise, and had planned to be a surgeon.

Many players on both teams fought in Europe. My uncle was in the Medical Corps while in medical school, but he was not sent overseas. He went on to enjoy a successful career as a surgeon in St. Paul for many years.

On Monday we remember and honor the men and women who died in service to their country. RIP James Ballentine, Fred Becker, and all the brave warriors who made the ultimate sacrifice! God Bless them all!

Attachments

• football pic 2.jpg
    football pic 2.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 4

Thank you for telling this story. You have enriched everyone's lives by doing so and I for one am thankful for and proud of the veterans that have served this great country!

Top Bottom