Media to erect Bowling Green statue commemorating Gophers’ loss

Don’t get me wrong it was an horrendous loss, and some gopher fans need to be reminded of it. Such as the one who created “can gophers still make CFP thread”! Gophers have turned a corner and we do control our destiny so let’s see what they do with it

“You can’t just lose to a team like Bowling Green and then move on with your life. There have to be consequences, and that’s why we’re building this statue.”

I don't think this was the thought in mind when they came up with the phrase "Remember the Alamo." (kidding)

Following up on Bowling Green, last week they did get their first win since visiting The Bank, in a shoot out against Buffalo 56-44. Ups their record to 3-6.

So, I guess that helps out the Gophers SOS.

They have three games left, so they could finish 6-6 and go to a bowl game. Would look better.

Probably not going to win the @ Miami (OH) game. But we'll see

Last edited:

Don’t get me wrong it was an horrendous loss, and some gopher fans need to be reminded of it. Such as the one who created “can gophers still make CFP thread”! Gophers have turned a corner and we do control our destiny so let’s see what they do with it
We’re Winning the rest of our regular season games this season - there’s a nifty thread on it😉.
Therefore we win The West while beating both Iowa and Wisconsin. That should be an acceptable outcome for ANY & ALL Gopher Fans!!!

The Twins may have won the 1987 World Series, but I prefer to focus on the 77 games they lost in the regular season.

EXACTLY! Any doofus can focus on the obvious stuff, like winning the championship. The smart folks are the ones who can see the ominous cloud that surrounds every silver lining.

Some of those losses were really, really ugly losses, too — to teams far inferior to the Twins. Tom Kelly should have been fired on the spot, and Kirby Puckett deserved to be benched. I mean, why not try someone else, since the season was basically over?

Last edited:

That was one of the worst, most unexpected losses I can recall. Sometimes an unexpected loss makes more sense later after more games have been played, but this one just causes more head scratching the more time progresses.

The sarcastic article about the media putting up a statue to commemorate that loss is on point though (and funny). They will return to that well until it is dry, all the way to Pasadena if necessary. Must. Belittle. Gophers.

They know their reader base.

Probably a lot of UW system grads have to come to the Twin Cities for work. Just sayin

They have three games left, so they could finish 6-6 and go to a bowl game. Would look better.

Probably not going to win the @ Miami (OH) game. But we'll see
If they had beat hapless Akron (just axed their HC), they would be at 4-5 making .500 at least realistic.

As for BG/Minn, I'll own my share of the blame. 1st home game (in which fans were allowed to attend) that I missed since NDSU in 2011. My bad.

When the B1G Network people talk about Minnesota these days, they get that certain facial expression and that note of tired resignation in their voices... like a guy who had the seafood buffet for lunch, and it's beginning to dawn on him that the crab legs may have been "off", and he is almost certainly coming down with a bout of food poisoning.

We went full Leidner.
...and full Jerry Kill....and Tracy Claeys.
Unfortunately, I can tell my grandkids I was there on the day that the hapless Falcons came in and let Minnesota crap all over themselves.

...and full Jerry Kill....and Tracy Claeys.
Unfortunately, I can tell my grandkids I was there on the day that the hapless Falcons came in and let Minnesota crap all over themselves.

You won't have to tell them about. Just take then on a trip to see the statue that the media built to commemorate it. And don't forget to buy the kids an ice cream.

Pretty much sums up my feelings about the BG game (in this clip BG = Bob)

In all seriousness though, the loss to BG is a big part of the reason why I am less worried about us having a letdown against a team like Illinois or Indiana. Well past time to shift the narrative on that game from "Gophers are a good team, but they lost to Bowling Green so they can't be that good." to "Gophers are doing what they are doing now because of the loss to Bowling Green and the wakeup call it provided."

Top Bottom