Media Prediction Thread: Michigan at Minnesota

Who will win?

• Gophers

Votes: 73 94.8%
  • Wolverines

Votes: 4 5.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Gophers tend to start slow and Michigan reportedly has a great new QB, plus its defense is generally very good and ours is questionable given all the losses there. So, Michigan would be a sensible favorite, but Gopher offense may keep it close.

If the Gophers can use creative pass rushing schemes and deception on defense, as SDSU did last year against us in the opener, they might be able to counter the great athleticism of Joe Milton in his first Big Ten start. But SDSU had a veteran defense; we’re green. I think our offense will score some points, but the play of our young defense will probably determine the outcome.

PJ's teams improve, they don't regress.

This is the one time i feel pretty comfortable about saying a Gophers team is going to not only prove last year wasn't just a fluke, they are going to wow some people more than most probably expect. There will be some youth hiccups, but it's exciting to look forward for this team. Last year was great, but don't blink - cuz what's best is yet to come.

Gophers tend to start slow and Michigan reportedly has a great new QB, plus its defense is generally very good and ours is questionable given all the losses there. So, Michigan would be a sensible favorite, but Gopher offense may keep it close.
You're pessimistic about the Gophers' chances of winning a game?!?! Get right the hell out of town!!!

Were gonna beat em and Harbaugh is gonna have a terrible year, throw a lot of sideline tantrums, and get fired.

If the Gophers can use creative pass rushing schemes and deception on defense, as SDSU did last year against us in the opener, they might be able to counter the great athleticism of Joe Milton in his first Big Ten start. But SDSU had a veteran defense; we’re green. I think our offense will score some points, but the play of our young defense will probably determine the outcome.
That's probably going to be the story of the season, regardless.

Their very own faithful predicted a win for us! 😆

TWO MORE WEEKS!!! LETS GO!!! #alreadypregaming

Attachments

• 48104735-15A0-4758-ABB6-6EF395B9BE43.jpeg
    48104735-15A0-4758-ABB6-6EF395B9BE43.jpeg
    941.6 KB · Views: 35

At College Football News, five contributors are taking Minnesota while eight picked Michigan.

Picks and Parlays are taking the Gophers
The game here will be a battle but with Minnesota returning so many starters on the offensive side of the ball it will be difficult to see Michigan with a young defense really coming into the game and stopping the offense for Minnesota. The offense for Michigan will be a mess as well as the quarterback has to be replaced and that is a big transition. Final Score Prediction, Minnesota Golden Gophers win and cover ATS 34-21.

Odd Shark is going with Minnesota
The Golden Gophers’ continuity on offense should give them an advantage against a Michigan team rolling out a new quarterback and offensive line. I like Minnesota to improve to 20-11 ATS in its last 31 games as a home underdog.

Sports Chat Place is picking Michigan
I’m going Michigan here. The Wolverines have some interesting pieces to work with this year, even after the departures of impact players like Tarik Black and Donovan Peoples-Jones. Michigan will most likely attempt to take advantage of their receiver speed, and we should see plenty of shots downfield. This one’s going to be a battle and more than likely a pretty tight game, so in reality I’m staying away until we get a better idea of each team’s 2020 philosophy on the field.

I really don't know what to expect. I am happy we have the offense we do. Been so out of touch I am not sure what our O-line looks like.

Just saw something on cbs sports network and all 4 picked the gopher

Sports Betting Dime is taking Minnesota
While series history favors the road team, I’m fading Michigan in this spot. When Minnesota beat then-No. 5 Penn State at TCF last year in early November, I became a believer in Fleck. I’m taking the home dogs here based on the intangibles and Morgan’s ability to find a way to win at home.

College Football News has a full prediction, taking Michigan, 26-17
Michigan won’t be remotely sharp, and Minnesota will hang around and control the tempo throughout, but the Wolverine offensive line will find its groove midway through the second half.
Minnesota has several amazing pieces, but the lines won’t be able to get the job done in the opener. This will look like a game between two teams that needed a few tune-up games, but it’ll still be entertaining as Michigan keeps the Little Brown Jug.

Winners and Whiners has a Minnesota win predicted
P.J. Fleck has a veteran team, especially on the offensive side of the ball, and Minnesota also has arguably one of the conference’s top quarterback-wide receiver duos in Stanley Morgan and Rashod Bateman. With the Wolverines thin in the secondary, I’ll take my chances with the Golden Gophers covering the number at home here. Take Minnesota to cover the spread in this Big Ten battle between ranked teams on Saturday night. Prediction: Minnesota Golden Gophers +3

Stat Salt has a Minnesota prediction.
With the team losing their top two cornerbacks from last season and their starting defensive tackles, expect them to struggle against the Golden Gophers. Despite their losses, the Wolverines still have enough talent to keep the game close, but the Gophers will pick up the win.

At 247 Sports, both contributors are leaning toward Minnesota
Tanner Morgan is the best QB in this game and I have some questions about the Michigan secondary... If Minnesota's o-line can hold up, and it's a big if, I like the Gophers to pull the upset. Minn 31, Mich 28.

It's a big game for both programs, but since I've taken the Golden Gophers to start the season with several victories... I have to stay accurate here. Minn 23, Mich 20.

Sports Betting Dime is taking Minnesota
While series history favors the road team, I’m fading Michigan in this spot. When Minnesota beat then-No. 5 Penn State at TCF last year in early November, I became a believer in Fleck. I’m taking the home dogs here based on the intangibles and Morgan’s ability to find a way to win at home.

College Football News has a full prediction, taking Michigan, 26-17
Michigan won’t be remotely sharp, and Minnesota will hang around and control the tempo throughout, but the Wolverine offensive line will find its groove midway through the second half.
Minnesota has several amazing pieces, but the lines won’t be able to get the job done in the opener. This will look like a game between two teams that needed a few tune-up games, but it’ll still be entertaining as Michigan keeps the Little Brown Jug.

Winners and Whiners has a Minnesota win predicted
P.J. Fleck has a veteran team, especially on the offensive side of the ball, and Minnesota also has arguably one of the conference’s top quarterback-wide receiver duos in Stanley Morgan and Rashod Bateman. With the Wolverines thin in the secondary, I’ll take my chances with the Golden Gophers covering the number at home here. Take Minnesota to cover the spread in this Big Ten battle between ranked teams on Saturday night. Prediction: Minnesota Golden Gophers +3

Stat Salt has a Minnesota prediction.
With the team losing their top two cornerbacks from last season and their starting defensive tackles, expect them to struggle against the Golden Gophers. Despite their losses, the Wolverines still have enough talent to keep the game close, but the Gophers will pick up the win.

At 247 Sports, both contributors are leaning toward Minnesota
Tanner Morgan is the best QB in this game and I have some questions about the Michigan secondary... If Minnesota's o-line can hold up, and it's a big if, I like the Gophers to pull the upset. Minn 31, Mich 28.

It's a big game for both programs, but since I've taken the Golden Gophers to start the season with several victories... I have to stay accurate here. Minn 23, Mich 20.

Stanley will lead us to victory!

Okay. From now on Tanner is Stanley. And I'm on Stanley island!

The Athletic's Mandel picks against the spread:

No. 18 Michigan at No. 21 Minnesota (+3) | 6:30 p.m. (ABC)
At this point, Michigan is a program with enough talent to field a Top 25 team, but not enough elite talent to play with the Ohio States and Alabamas. Minnesota under P.J. Fleck is now right around the same vicinity, only with a veteran QB (Tanner Morgan) and elite WR (Rashod Bateman) that can win games like these. Minnesota 30, Michigan 27

OddsShark predicts a final score of:

Gophers - 35.0
Wolverines - 30.4

Collegefootballnews.com Predicts:

Gophers - 17
Wolverines - 26

At Athlon Sports, two contributors are taking Minnesota while one picks Michigan.

Saturday Blitz (FanSided) is going with Minnesota, 24-20.
The problem for Michigan in this game will be the inexperience after cornerback. It’s going to be difficult at best to contain Rashod Bateman and if the Wolverines decide to throw double coverage his way, Tanner Morgan is smart enough to make some plays with other dependable receivers. Expect a good, close Big Ten style game here.

Covers is going with a Minnesota win.
P.J. Fleck proved this team will show up in big games, with wins versus Penn State and Auburn as underdogs. Minnesota shouldn’t be getting three points at home in this matchup, as Michigan is just dealing with too much turnover. The Gophers have a very good chance to win this and take home the Little Brown Jug. Row the boat. PREDICTION: Minnesota +3 (-110)

At MLive, both writers have picked Minnesota
This also is a chance for P.J. Fleck to knock off one of the Big Ten’s top programs, and you can bet the Gophers will be amped up. Maybe the wintry weather will neutralize Minnesota’s passing attack a bit, but Tanner Morgan and Rashod Bateman are tough to stop in any conditions. Minnesota 34, Michigan 20

New QB, new offensive line, plus unproven players in the secondary. I think the Minnesota offense is too explosive and wins out here. Minnesota 31, Michigan 27

CBS Sports is going with Minnesota.
The line is small and the home dogs certainly have a chance to pull the outright win. If Michigan's new-look offense can going early, that would be a great sign. If they have to play from behind, it could be a frustrating day for Harbaugh's team. Pick: Minnesota +3

Sporting News goes with the Wolverines.
Minnesota upset Penn State at home last season, and did it with the help of the big-play passing game. Bateman scored early, and he'll do the same in this game. Michigan will stay patient with the running game despite trailing at halftime, and Milton will match some wow plays with some inconsistency. The Wolverines, however, will tighten up enough on defense in the second half. Michigan emerges with a good start to 2020. Michigan 31, Minnesota 24

The Daily Gopher (SB Nation) predicts a close Minnesota win.
With so many variables in play, I hesitate to classify this as anything other than a toss-up, in which case I have no choice but to go with the homer pick. Minnesota 24, Michigan 21.

M-Live Beat Writers chyme in:

MICHIGAN at MINNESOTA
JS: Michigan QB Joe Milton might be great, but this is his first start. And it would be unlike Jim Harbaugh to turn his inexperienced QB loose right out of the gate. This also is a chance for P.J. Fleck to knock off one of the Big Ten’s top programs, and you can bet the Gophers will be amped up. Maybe the wintry weather will neutralize Minnesota’s passing attack a bit, but Tanner Morgan and Rashod Bateman are tough to stop in any conditions. Minnesota 34, Michigan 20
Aaron McMann:
This is a tough one, and for me comes down to the unknowns. There’s too many on the offensive side of the ball for Michigan. New QB, new offensive line, plus unproven players in the secondary. I think the Minnesota offense is too explosive and wins out here. Minnesota 31, Michigan 27

Greder chimes in:

No. 18 MICHIGAN at No. 21 GOPHERS, 6:30 p.m. ABC
P.J. Fleck doesn’t like to look back at the 33-10 blowout loss his first Minnesota team suffered at the Big House in 2017. This is his chance for some redemption in Year 4. Gophers, 28-25

Go Gophers!!

Gopher Illustrated (247 Sports) is going with a close MN win.
I think Minnesota's offensive line does just enough to give Morgan time and Rossi's defense comes up stout in the red zone to force some field goals for the Wolverines. Minn 28, Mich 27.

Both writers at Wolverines Wire are going with Michigan wins
The first half of this game will be close as teams are trying to figure out what works and what doesn’t, but the second half is when we see the lights go on and Michigan pull away from Minnesota. Michigan 42, Minnesota 28

Traveling to battle a team fresh off an 11-win season, especially when the forecast is calling for inclement weather, is no easy task, but the Wolverines will respond to the challenge and do enough to head back home with a victory. Michigan 31, Minnesota 27

At The Wolverine (Rivals), three writers are taking Minnesota and four predict a Michigan win.
This one won’t be easy for U-M, no matter how many hundreds of pounds of linemen the Golden Gophers are down. It’s gonna be a cold one in Minneapolis, 27 degrees at kickoff; fortunately, there will be 800 or so rabid Gophers (fans) in the stands to warm it up. It won’t be enough. Michigan 24, Minnesota 20

Michigan’s defense shows up, its offense grows up (just enough), and the Wolverines hang on as Minny hell freezes over. Michigan 27, Minnesota 24

A new quarterback and four new starters on the offensive line makes Michigan a very difficult team to predict, especially in the season-opener. It’s Joe Milton’s time to shine, but is he ready for the moment? This one could go either way. Minnesota 31, Michigan 27

Jim Harbaugh will have his team ready to play in the opener, and if Milton can stay away from making big mistakes and the defense can avoid allowing chunk plays to Minnesota's lethal passing attack, the Maize and Blue should come out victorious. Michigan 34, Minnesota 25

The margins seem slim in what likely will be a sloppy game due to the pandemic in sloppy weather... Just like 2018, the Wolverines drop their road opener against a ranked team before they start rattling off their wins. Minnesota 27, Michigan 24

Michigan will row the boat better than the Gophers in a tight one. Michigan 34, Boat Rowers 28

In this Covid-impacted season, a returning QB with experience matters... unless a loaded offense is missing some key players ... are they? Minnesota 27, Michigan 17

Top Bottom