Maxx Williams

Indi1006

Banned
Reaction score
Some info on Maxx. Maxx is playing the H back position or sometimes also called the U position. Within this offense, the H back or U is going to be on the field no more than 33% of the time. Goodger is the tight end or the Y and he's probably going to be on the field about 66% to maybe 75% of the time. Goodger is a blocker and isn't going to be much of a threat. As long as Kill sticks with the O that he's running and Maxx is the U then he's going to be on the field about 20 to 25 plays a game maximum which means he is generally not going to be getting targeted the 5-10 times a game as those on here are calling for. Until and unless Maxx becomes the Y or Kill changes his overall O philosophy there will be a few plays a game where Maxx may be a factor but overall he won't be because for most of the game he'lll be standing over by Jerry most of the game; or when he's in the game he'll be a glorified OT.

That's interesting info Indi. Some guys in my section and I were wondering why the best receiver we have wasn't on the field more often and I don't think he was even a target on a pass (though maybe he was covered on 1 or 2 plays so Nelson didn't throw his way). They've got to find a way to get him more involved. Every fan in the stadium could see the Maxx's talent. It's a shame.

Every time Maxx is targeted something good happens. He is too big for most DBs to cover and has great hands. I would like to hear the explanation for why he is ignored.

Every time Maxx is targeted something good happens. He is too big for most DBs to cover and has great hands. I would like to hear the explanation for why he is ignored.

Because within this "system" the H back or U isn't a primary target; it's as simple as that. Kill and Limegrover play their system and that is just the way it is and as long as Maxx plays the position he is at he won't be a target. He could be Tony Gonzales but within this system that position isn't going to be option 1, 2, 3 or 4 in most packages and he wouldn't be anything other than an afterthought. Goodger is not full speed, either, with his knee injury but our TEs have been non-existent.

No excuses for not getting him touches, except poor, unimaginative coaching.

He needs to be targeted more regardless where he lines up.

You got to open it up on ist down and keep the defense guessing. Can't try to run all the time on ist down Iowa play calling had us guessing. We haven't done any trick plays all year

Maxx Williams is playing the H back out of necessity

Some info on Maxx. Maxx is playing the H back position or sometimes also called the U position. Within this offense, the H back or U is going to be on the field no more than 33% of the time. Goodger is the tight end or the Y and he's probably going to be on the field about 66% to maybe 75% of the time. Goodger is a blocker and isn't going to be much of a threat. .

Williams appears to have been playing the H kind of as a sacrifice for losing Mike Henry to injury against Iowa, the only thing I can think of here is that the coaches think Williams has a better chance of being a lead blocker and opening up the running game for the tailback than Goodger can. Goodger seems like a plugger and that he would be good at blocking but so far that doesn't appear to be the case.
When the offense is predicated on running the football, they are going to want an H back that can take on linebackers and hopefully knock them off the ball.
I'm not saying it is the way to go but it is pretty clear the coaches seem to think playing Maxx at the H back spot can help win football games. With our offensive line not being as strong up front as it needs to be like you said Maxx is going to be a glorified OT, they will be keeping Maxx in for extra protection as to not get the Quarterback killed every game.
I like Maxx with the ball in his hands but there is something to be said for a guy that can block well.
You don't always need the ball in your hands to make an impact on a football game. On that last interception play Nelso was targeting Maxx Williams on that play.

Like so many threads...half info being elevated to a sacrilage that should result in one or more of our coaches being burned at the stake.

In the end, if you had listened to Kill's last couple pressers or read the newspaper, you would have known that Mazz is our backup H back and because of Henry's injury, he starting at that position.

Like so many threads...half info being elevated to a sacrilage that should result in one or more of our coaches being burned at the stake.

In the end, if you had listened to Kill's last couple pressers or read the newspaper, you would have known that Mazz is our backup H back and because of Henry's injury, he starting at that position.

Not so fast, Know-it-all-in-Philly. If you have been paying attention to the depth charts since the beginning of the season you'll note that Maxx and Henry have both been listed as H-Back players. The H back functions both as a full back and a psuedo TE and before Henry got hurt he was running the plays when the H back was running as a full back and Maxx was running the plays when it was geared toward TE play. Now, Maxx is doing both but he'll still not really ever get the ball much as long as he's running in that position and Goodger is running as the actual TE.

Because within this "system" the H back or U isn't a primary target; it's as simple as that. Kill and Limegrover play their system and that is just the way it is and as long as Maxx plays the position he is at he won't be a target. He could be Tony Gonzales but within this system that position isn't going to be option 1, 2, 3 or 4 in most packages and he wouldn't be anything other than an afterthought. Goodger is not full speed, either, with his knee injury but our TEs have been non-existent.
I'm curious about something and hoping someone can elucidate: More than once in the latter part of the game on the Jumbo-tron were shots of Damien Wilson (who had a good outing) rapidly panting for breath. Of course the defense spent an inordinate amount of time on the field, but when a human body is gasping for air it will insist on getting oxygen immediately, which can only mean the player cannot hope to function at 100% capacity. Is it normal for FBS teams to not rest over-worked starters? Or to at least relieve them of their additional special teams duty for a while so they might get catch their breaths? Is that not one of the reasons the depth chart is so important? This is not in any fashion criticism, but my complete ignorance of the subject simply makes me curious. It seemed several of the players could have used a break in the second half and the backups could probably use some experience, as well. Or is it a hard-and-fast Big 10 rule that secondaries are not employed in any manner until starters get injured? I'd just like to know how these things are supposed to function. I also thought the half-time break was used to retool, but I (again probably quite ignorantly) did not detect any obvious elements of that in the second half. Any edification provided would be greatly appreciated.

Man you take any criticism of the coaches or the staff like it something personal.

Nobody is trying to get personal if they offer an opinion or a critique. We all want the same results for the Gophers to get better and have a chance to win some Big 10 football games. A guy sees Maxx Williams as someone that can do more with the football in his hands and that means he want's to crucify a coach.

People were disappointed in Saturdays loss to Iowa, many thought it was a winnable game.
I'm ready to turn the page and hope the teams comes out with a chance to beat Michigan with perahps a more creative game plan than what Studwell described as the training wheels offense we saw in the Non-conference.
I'm not interested in changing coaches or taking there place, just offering honest opinions and critiques, talking with other Gopher fans. When I'm wrong I'm wrong and I don't mind hearing that I am wrong.
Gopher in Philly I generally like your takes but you seem a bit like your on a quest for a rip fest of anything that might be contrary to what the coach says.
Were all just fans man, in another thread someone asked if or what you would want in the Gophers football as a level of success. I for one would like to see the Gophers recruit a player like Borland the linebacker from Wisconsin who stood up Hyde from Ohio State at the goal-line on Saturday night and made an NFL like play. You start getting a few players like that and a sea change happens in the ability of the program to get better.
Yeah he plays for Becky but that was one heck of a football play and is what seperates them from us. Success breeds more success, and talent attracts other talented players to your program. We need more overall talent to Win Big 10 games. Here is hoping coach Kill and his staff are recruiting talent like that. I have been listening and even the coach has said that we are not there yet with depth and talent, we need more classes with better players.

Not so fast, Know-it-all-in-Philly. If you have been paying attention to the depth charts since the beginning of the season you'll note that Maxx and Henry have both been listed as H-Back players. The H back functions both as a full back and a psuedo TE and before Henry got hurt he was running the plays when the H back was running as a full back and Maxx was running the plays when it was geared toward TE play. Now, Maxx is doing both but he'll still not really ever get the ball much as long as he's running in that position and Goodger is running as the actual TE.

Maxx will never see the ball again, he should just quit. Kill obviously wants to lose.

Excellent; let's not target someone who will be playing on Sundays once he graduates!

Maxx will never see the ball again, he should just quit. Kill obviously wants to lose.

Five games, five catches. 25 catches a year out of his spot would be a monster year he will probably end up in the upper teens for catches on maybe 30 looks.

Top Bottom