Maturi's Waterloo- No One Discussing This Angle

akgopher

Reaction score
This is why Maturi will be gone. Renewal rates at TCF!! A resurgent hockey program won't save him this time. I don't think Maturi is that bad aside from Borton's extension and the Brewster hire, the golf program fiasco could happen anywhere. The baseball stadium and hoops practice facility not happening isn't fair because the economy sucks.

That said, the department got bailed out with Kill's sales pitch and the excitement of the home schedule. I'm going with a minimum 15% non-renewal rate- 10% brokers/Husker fans not being there and 5% giving up. That will put about 20% of the tickets unsold for a poor schedule. How many people will see these street values and not buy in
-New Hampshire- $10
-Western Michigan- $10
-Syracuse- $15
-Northwestern- $15
-Purdue- $15
-Michigan- $30
-Michigan State- $25

There you go $120 value with a $275 price tag. I think I'll be in because I see better days and the potential to upgrade my location. I see us getting back to last year's 4 win record and being in that range for another year, with hopes that year 4 of Kill gets us back to a bowl. Bottom line, I don't see Maturi surviving a bloodbath ticket renewal season in year 4 of a stadium that burned a lot of political capital for the university.

Let's stop beating a dead horse. Everyone in GopherHole understands that Maturi will be retiring next year. The real question is who will Kaler be able to get to replace him, and why would an experienced and ambitious AD want to come to Minnesota given that it will probably take four or more years for them to be able to make a major coaching hire, and at least seven years before any decision will start to yield positive and significant results.

Let's stop beating a dead horse. Everyone in GopherHole understands that Maturi will be retiring next year. The real question is who will Kaler be able to get to replace him, and why would an experienced and ambitious AD want to come to Minnesota given that it will probably take four or more years for them to be able to make a major coaching hire, and at least seven years before any decision will start to yield positive and significant results.

Because they will get paid "bookoo" bucks to oversee the program during a relative period of calm, if Kill is able to develop a recharged football program and the other major coaches stay put for 2 to 4 years, that why. I would expect Kaler to offer the right person a hell of a lot more than Badger Joel is making right now.

Believe it or not, some people like challenges.

Finding an AD isn't as impossible as getting a legitimate football coach to come here. The state of the football program is the big negative, but that is about it. The baseball stadium will be a done deal within the next 12 months and then it will be on to the hoops practice facility, which will be easier when the economy turns around.

The two negatives are:
1. The football mess and paid attendances of under 30,000 next year. That is going to hurt worse than people realize or have acknowledged.
2. Getting the practice facility moving. I think winning and getting the baseball facility in the rearview mirror will make this less daunting when the economy turns around. Maybe Kardashians will be the key contributors.

There are some big positives:
1. Profitable television deal and conference.
2. A big name hoops coach and the potential to replace him when needed with a Ben Jacobson caliber candidate.
3. The ability to fire Lucia this year and Borton after next year, and having the local talent pool to attract quality replacements for both jobs.

In the end, it won't be hard to get someone good. Lots of horrible state budgets and private schools fundraising is down, so there is potential to poach someone looking to get out of a tough spot. I bet there are some talented Associates and men/women in upper levels of pro organizations who would be interested. It is a better job than when we hired Maturi.

And just firing Lucia if he falters and Borton will make them a hero. With TCF looking at 28,000 crowds and a 1-11 team, there is no way but up with the program. They will also get to pose with a shovel early breaking ground for a new baseball stadium. There's a lot of potential to look good quick and appear to be the person cleaning the program up.

Anyone want to predict renewal rates? And how bad does losing 8,000 season ticket holders and crowds in 20,000-30,000 hurt the program fiscally? The legislature stepped up for the athletic department and there hasn't been a return on the investment. I don't see us getting a whole lot of help from St. Paul anytime soon.

It is now up to the administration to make sure that the stadium pays for itself. Ever since prexy b "took the plunge..." and put the University on the hook for the next 25 or 30 years, who ever is prexy will HAVE to make the stadium pay.

It shows what a fool prexy b was to have hired such an incompetent and inexperienced coach when he was invsting 300 million in a new stadium and was risking the state's credit rating in the process. The legislators won't be too thrilled IF the U of M doesn't make this whole stadium thing work out just the way it is supposed to work out.

With leaders like prexy b and badger joel macturi paving the way for him, prexy k had better be PLENTY worried about the renewal of season tickets, contributions and the like. He is on the hook...and the buck stops with him. Better make it all work prexy k...

; 0 )

Anyone want to predict renewal rates? And how bad does losing 8,000 season ticket holders and crowds in 20,000-30,000 hurt the program fiscally? The legislature stepped up for the athletic department and there hasn't been a return on the investment. I don't see us getting a whole lot of help from St. Paul anytime soon.

dude..........please just stop. you are spouting off with all of this ticket sales gibberish as though your crudely done math is somehow truth and correct. again......just stop.

dude..........please just stop. you are spouting off with all of this ticket sales gibberish as though your crudely done math is somehow truth and correct. again......just stop.
Yes, don't confuse the issue with facts :). You ain't seen nothing until you see the drop in season tickets should Maturi be extended. Talk about a disaster.

Winning cures all. If the team goes 3-1 to open up 2012, which they can do, the stadium will be packed.

We don't need an experienced AD at a BCS institution necessarily. There are lots of highly qualified associate AD's at big schools and AD's of small schools who would relish the opportunity. That's a very different ball game than trying to find a "Tubby Smith Type" football coach.

Top Bottom