Maturi Response to Ticket Prices Rant

Southpaw

Reaction score
Got a response from Mr. Maturi today which, considering all the things he's got on his plate, is pretty impressive - here's what he had to say:

Thanks for the email. I apologize for the delay in responding. As you may know I am coming off of Achilles surgery and needed to look into some of the numbers to be as accurate as I can be.

When I arrived in 2002 the Gopher Men’s Basketball Season ticket price was $30 per ticket. Today it is $31. I do not disagree that it is high, probably as high as any in the League. Tough to go backwards, especially since we added Tubby Smith to the program. The other component that needs to be considered, however, is the donation level required to sit in certain sections, seats. As we have done in football (and anticipate doing in the future in basketball and hockey) almost all schools require an annual donation to even purchase the seats. At Wisconsin, for example, all seats between the baselines in the lower level require a Preferred seating fee per ticket of $150 plus an annual donation of $2,000. At Illinois, the very best seats require an annual donation of $10,000 to even purchase the tickets. Michigan State does the same. When you add those numbers our total ticket cost for most seats is actually in the lower half of the League. The advantage of doing the donation model is that much of that is tax deductible. As mentioned, we anticipate going in that direction and our future ticket price will reflect the change.

Again, thanks for your patience and understanding.

Joel Maturi

Not Good News

We are going the way of preferred tickets. Your rant's questions about all games/seats being priced the same was not responded to, and he responded with anecdotes but very few real details. Something to the effect of "when you add in required donations, the average ticket price is...." would have been helpful.

I wonder what the IRS would rule on the deducitibility of mandatory "donations" if the question ever came before them. These "donations" are nothing but fees designed to be deductible as anyone can see.

Actually, the ticket value is the amount on the ticket.

Any donation to have the right to purchase a premium ticket is 80% deductible to the donor, instead of a 50% entertainment deduction. So instead of charging $41 per ticket for a great seat, they charge to same $31 and have a mandatory donation.

The 80% donation is in the regulations.

$35 Face Value

Moonlight, here's what I posted on the original thread:

The season ticket price for BB this year is $558 (excluding p/h). That equates to $31 per game for 18 games. There are actually 19 games on the schedule, but I believe the 2 exhibition games are counted as 2-for-1. A few years ago they were charging full price for the exhibition games as well. I posted a similar rant (under a different user name) complaining that we were paying full price to what amounts to glorified pickup games (I believe one of the opponents may have been Athletes in Action or something like that). The rant struck a cord with many members of this board and at least one of them said he had forwarded it to Maturi. The very next season the exhibition games were half price (which is still too high). Coincidence? Maybe, but I like to think that common sense complaints occasionally pay off.

By putting a higher face value on the individual tickets ($35 vs $31), the Gopher Athletic Dept can claim that they ARE giving the season ticket holder a price break - it sure doesn't feel like it to me when compared to what other B10 schools are charging. I agree with you about putting a higher price on the B10 games than on the NC games.

Sadly, Mr. Maturi does not address the concerns of longtime BB supporters. The exhibition games did not used to be against such pseudo-two-for-one-opponents either. I'd give this as the sort of "no new taxes" approach we got from our state which has led to an increase in every kind of service and "fee" and yet somehow we can claim we aren't charging more for our product. Everyone who has paid for this product in the past past feels concerned that they are paying more for less - even with Tubby. Even if Maturi can explain it away, the fact that his most loyal fan base is feeling skimmed he ought to be concerned. Yet, I somehow know he will not be. He has the idea that the BB ticket is primo this year and cares not for the long time supporter - yet we will be expected to support the team the next time (and there will be a next time!!!) the program is in need.

Sadly, Mr. Maturi does not address the concerns of longtime BB supporters. The exhibition games did not used to be against such pseudo-two-for-one-opponents either. I'd give this as the sort of "no new taxes" approach we got from our state which has led to an increase in every kind of service and "fee" and yet somehow we can claim we aren't charging more for our product. Everyone who has paid for this product in the past past feels concerned that they are paying more for less - even with Tubby. Even if Maturi can explain it away, the fact that his most loyal fan base is feeling skimmed he ought to be concerned. Yet, I somehow know he will not be. He has the idea that the BB ticket is primo this year and cares not for the long time supporter - yet we will be expected to support the team the next time (and there will be a next time!!!) the program is in need.

Well stated, Moonlight

I got the impression that Maturi "cherry-picked" the details from other schools' pricing policies to "spin" his response towards justification for an expansion of preferred seating. Wisconsin fans have to pay $150 for lower level seats between the baselines - that's our current policy as well, with $250-$500 premiums required for those types of seats - his response doesn't mention anything about the rest of the seats because, I strongly suspect, there is no premium attached to those seats. At Illinois, $10,000 is required for the "very best seats" - I bet that amounts to just a handful of seats in the entire arena.

I think the seat selection/ pricing process utilized for the TCF Bank Stadium was very fair. The high rollers got the best seats and that's understandable but seat premiums were required for only about 25% of the stadium, leaving plenty of room for the "normal" fan. By contrast, the proposed BB preffered seating expansion would require premiums and/or donations from about 75% of the fans - many of the rest of us would be priced out of the arena. The atmosphere at Williams Arena, which makes that venue special, would take a huge hit as more and more tickets get into the hands of corporate-types rather than the true life-long fan. So my major objection is not that the U of M has premium seating for BB (many schools have some form of that for the "good" seats) but that the premium donations would be required for such a high percentage of the seats in the arena - I don't see any evidence of that at any of the other B10 schools.

Seriously guys, we have a 12-deep roster and Tubby Smith as our coach, and you're bi!ching about ticket prices that have gone up $1 per game in the last 7 years?

I wonder what the IRS would rule on the deducitibility of mandatory "donations" if the question ever came before them. These "donations" are nothing but fees designed to be deductible as anyone can see.

Right now, it's ok because Publication 526 says that as long the donation goes toward a non-profit school, which the University of Minnesota is, than it is deductible. However, at some point I'm willing to bet that either the IRS is going to try to argue that mandatory ticket dues fall along the lines of "Dues, fees, or bills paid to country clubs, lodges, fraternal orders, or other similar groups," which is not deductable. It probably won't stand up, but that also might lead to legislative change.

Seriously guys, we have a 12-deep roster and Tubby Smith as our coach, and you're bi!ching about ticket prices that have gone up $1 per game in the last 7 years?

True - perhaps my timing is not the best cuz we're all excited about Tubby elevating the Gopher BB program to new heights after enduring years of mediocre basketball.

Even though I still contend that our BB ticket prices are currently among the highest in the B10, the point I was trying to make has more to do with next season than this season. Expansion of premium seating, combined with a crappy home NC schedule will make the tickets for "good" games very expensive (many of us endure the NC "throwaway" games while looking forward to the B10 games). Most of us who haven't had to pony up a premium/ donation in the past will be required to do so as early as next season. A $250 "donation" pro-rated over 18 games amounts to a $14 increase (or 45%) per game on top of already high current prices; a $500 donation would result in a $28 increase (or 90%). Many of us who are paying $31 per game to see the likes of Utah Valley, Brown and Northern Illinois will be paying at least $46 for that privilege next season.

As Gopher Lady, anonymous and others have pointed out, the U of M is instituting this new pricing policy with a degree of arrogance - there are a number of little things they could be doing for their loyal fans to make the BB experience even better, but they've chosen to ignore them.

Go Gophers - beat those hated UMD Bulldogs !!!

Preferred seating

Question for anyone who might know. ...

Is the preferred seating expected to be end line to end line (lower deck only), or will it include those on the end of the floor (behind the basket, i.e. Section 101) in the lower level?

Thanks in advance.

Question for anyone who might know. ...

Is the preferred seating expected to be end line to end line (lower deck only), or will it include those on the end of the floor (behind the basket, i.e. Section 101) in the lower level?

Thanks in advance.

SS, if I recall correctly, the draft plan reported by those who mistakenly received it in their season ticket renewal notices, is that the entire lower level plus the first 4 rows of the upper level would require a preferred seating mandatory "donation".

"and our future ticket price will reflect the change"

We all seem to be assuming that the donation would be in addition to current ticket prices. I would agree that it may be the most likely outcome but isn't it possible that the tix would be cheaper (say $20) and the donation would be in addition to the lower ticket prices? Would that be more fair?

Isn't there already some type of charge for the really good seats? I thought you had to pay extra for seats that are actually chairs instead of benches.

Thanks Southpaw.

Yikes. This is the first time I'll seriously have to consider giving up my tickets (and that's saying something considering I hung with it through the Monson years) or, at minimum, go back to getting just 1 ticket. If the donation is required, more than ever, who the Gophers schedule at home in November and December will be an important factor in my decision.

If I'm required to pay the $250 (per ticket) donation (which I'm OK with because average per-game ticket prices have held the line for quite a few years), my minimum expectation will be that we get 1-2 home games to get excited about in November & December.

Tough on the Family Budget

During the TCF seating process I moved from the 37 yard line (upper) to the 20 yard line (lower) in an effort to maintain quality tickets at what is an affordable price for my family (55 years of continuous tickets). I did not complain and am very happy with my new seats. That said my seniority for BB is only 15 years....so I likely won't be so lucky when the "re-seat" Williams. We will have to make some tough choices at the Swaggerson abode...unfortunately it may include dropping football in order to "donate" to BB to maintain a non-obstructed seat...we will see, I feel like we suffered long enough in obstructed seats through the Monson years (oh, by the way Dan, thanks for the crappy years of hoops...it improved my seat placement dramatically).

Rant over.

I wish I was in Minneapolis so I could try this.

Given that the non-conference tickets are pricey and not good value. I am almost certain that someone could buy scalpers tickets for every game and get better seats at a better price.

I am willing to bet you could average $10 a ticket for non-conference and then get face for most of conference play. If you take these savings into account, you then pay double for a few marquee games and you win in the process. Addtionally you don't have any guilt about not using your tickets if you decide to skip a few snoozers.

I know my plan isn't good for the U but as shown, the U is not terribly concerned with the "average" fan- if they go donation they are pricing themselves for corporations/ wealthy anyway.

Caveat Emptor

Thanks Southpaw.

Yikes. This is the first time I'll seriously have to consider giving up my tickets (and that's saying something considering I hung with it through the Monson years) or, at minimum, go back to getting just 1 ticket. If the donation is required, more than ever, who the Gophers schedule at home in November and December will be an important factor in my decision.

If I'm required to pay the $250 (per ticket) donation (which I'm OK with because average per-game ticket prices have held the line for quite a few years), my minimum expectation will be that we get 1-2 home games to get excited about in November & December.

Selection, the real down side of your circumstance is that if recent patterns are repeated, you won't know the schedule before you have to commit to your tickets. That has always miffed me.

The bright side for all who are used to lower level tickets is that seats on the end in the upper deck are not bad and not obstructed. We have been in 212 row 8-9 since the mid 90's remodel, and the seats are not as bad as one might expect. We have never been able to move because we have a group too large en masse.

Holy Man, especially next year, if I get word my section will require a donation, I will pay extra special attention finding out who'll be on the Gophers' home schedule in November & December. There will be an extra amount of time perusing various (BCS) schools' web sites to see if there are any reports of playing in Minnesota.

I'm definitely curious to see where they'd offer me seats if I take a pass on the donation. I can accept taking lesser seats for the betterment of the program, but it they offer complete nosebleeds, that would not interest me. I do have some semblance of pride for the 18 years I've put in as a season-ticket holder.

Exactly, Winnipeg

I wish I was in Minneapolis so I could try this.

Given that the non-conference tickets are pricey and not good value. I am almost certain that someone could buy scalpers tickets for every game and get better seats at a better price.

I am willing to bet you could average $10 a ticket for non-conference and then get face for most of conference play. If you take these savings into account, you then pay double for a few marquee games and you win in the process. Addtionally you don't have any guilt about not using your tickets if you decide to skip a few snoozers.

I know my plan isn't good for the U but as shown, the U is not terribly concerned with the "average" fan- if they go donation they are pricing themselves for corporations/ wealthy anyway.
The challenging thing is knowing that it all could be had for less. That is exactly why we have pointed out that honoring the season ticket holders in some way should be attended to.

The bright side for all who are used to lower level tickets is that seats on the end in the upper deck are not bad and not obstructed. We have been in 212 row 8-9 since the mid 90's remodel, and the seats are not as bad as one might expect. We have never been able to move because we have a group too large en masse.

Holy Man, you're right, those are decent seats. I also have seats in the upper deck, but on the side instead of the end. Under the plan that was leaked to some season ticket holders, my seats would not be affected because I'm higher than Row 4. However (and this is a BIG however), I'm worried that my seats (and yours) will be subject to bumping by those with greater seniority and/ or donation history who don't want to pay the premium required to retain their current seat.

If forced into a donation, I'll likely suck it up and pay at least in the short term - I've waited too long and invested too much time and money to bail now, just when the program is about to turn the corner. However, depending on my financial situation, I may consider the strategy outlined by Winniegopher.

We're in the 4th row of the upper level, but we do not have seat backs. I refuse to pay a premium price for a backache!

Holy Man, you're right, those are decent seats. I also have seats in the upper deck, but on the side instead of the end. Under the plan that was leaked to some season ticket holders, my seats would not be affected because I'm higher than Row 4. However (and this is a BIG however), I'm worried that my seats (and yours) will be subject to bumping by those with greater seniority and/ or donation history who don't want to pay the premium required to retain their current seat.

If forced into a donation, I'll likely suck it up and pay at least in the short term - I've waited too long and invested too much time and money to bail now, just when the program is about to turn the corner. However, depending on my financial situation, I may consider the strategy outlined by Winniegopher.

My fear exactly is that we might be bumped in favor of longer tenured ticket holders and end up higher. The decency factor should allow us to keep the seats we have had for 20 years if they are not charging a premiium for them, but who knows. I suspect people getting bumped off of lower level tickets for donors will be pretty ticked, and not likely "settle" for upper deck and no backs. It's a good thing I am satisfied with them.

Regarding Winnie's method, economically it makes sense, but I am risk averse when it comes to time, and I don't like the idea of heading to the arena without a ticket. The leisure time is too precious for me to take that risk.

I am getting more irritated by the minute thinking about the possibilities.

Holy Man,

What you have to remember that when other season ticket holders might bump you out of your seats they are giving there old seats up leaving them open to you or another season ticket holder with comparable seats. So in the end it will all work out. Until they have a press release saying they are going to a preferred seating model I wouldn' worry about it too much.

Top Bottom