Maturi Needs to Go, Extension was poorly timed

GopherFish

Reaction score
If Maturi was going to extend Brewster he should have done it much earlier. Nine players who were Gopher commitments are no longer Gopher commitments. Brewster is filling those spots with less desirable talent. Unless SH signs, this will go down as a lackluster recruiting class.

Maturi mishandled Monson, Mason and now Brew and he's messed up this year with how he's handled the BB team. Time for Maturi to go.

Dear Mr. Maturi,

Let me make this short and sweet, YOU'RE A DUMBASS!

If Maturi was going to extend Brewer he should have done it much earlier. Nine players who were Gopher commitments are no longer Gopher commitments. Brewer is filling those spots with less desirable talent. Unless SH signs, this will go down as a lackluster recruiting class.

Maturi mishandled Monson, Mason and now Brew and he's messed up this year with how he's handled the BB team. Time for Maturi to go.

100% agree.

I don't understand the connection to our nine decommitments and Brewster's contract extension? The only recruit who said it was a factor was Huff and he's committed to his 4th school this week so I hardly think that counts.

Are we even 100% sure Maturi was the hold up? It may have been Brew looking for more cash or a lower buyout.

I don't understand the connection to our nine decommitments and Brewster's contract extension? The only recruit who said it was a factor was Huff and he's committed to his 4th school this week so I hardly think that counts.

It's hard to say exactly why recruits commit or decommit, but having a contract question lingering doesn't help. Less than 2 years left on a contract is certainly a negative and that is no longer the case. Now it can be used as a positive if it's brought up during recruiting.

If Maturi was going to extend Brewster he should have done it much earlier. Nine players who were Gopher commitments are no longer Gopher commitments. Brewster is filling those spots with less desirable talent. Unless SH signs, this will go down as a lackluster recruiting class.

True, but the extension has been in the works for a longtime and I assure you every recruit we are/were after knew the extension was a done deal. It did not affect this years class.

I agree with your main point in that the timing of the extension was terrible. However, this nine decommits thing has to stop. It's pretty well documented that Minnesota encouraged about half of those kids to look elsewhere. When kids end up at Miami(OH) and Louisiana Monroe, everyone should be able to read between the lines.

I agree with your main point in that the timing of the extension was terrible. However, this nine decommits thing has to stop. It's pretty well documented that Minnesota encouraged about half of those kids to look elsewhere. When kids end up at Miami(OH) and Louisiana Monroe, everyone should be able to read between the lines.

The Brewster haters can read between the lines but don't because it doesn't fit their agenda to do so.

The Brewster haters can read between the lines but don't because it doesn't fit their agenda to do so.

Now we're getting somewhere. Great post and I'm not being sarcastic. I challenge anyone who doesn't agree to go back and read the kind of nonsense posters on here think they know. You'd swear we were fellow board members with half the athletic department and a fleet of expert sports journalists. The truth is, as most of you must realize, well, I'm not going to say it, you all know what the truth is.

extension

I couldn't be more proud of the effort. Without question it was outstanding.

No chance of Maturi being fired now, but I would at least like to see him put on the hot seat, publicly. So we know the University understands that he has done a job worthy of being re-evaluated. I really don't think anything like that would ever happen either. The job is probably his, as long as he wants it.

Isn't Joel talking about retiring when his current contract ends? I think it is in two years but I could be wrong. Anyone know.

Dear Mr. Maturi,

Dear Mr. Maturi,

Thank you for not reading gopher message boards. You would be on your 7th coach in 3 years. You would have hired big names for a lot of money, and up and coming coaches who just happened to be born in Minnesota for little money. You would have given extensions to some, and given only 1 year contracts for others. You would fired coaches who lost games games to teams such as Ohio State becaus they have more talent, but that shouldn't matter because overnight we are expected to win every game at Minnesota. You would have fired coaches because they didn't get every recruit they ever went after, not to mention every in state kid who has any talent. God forbid some kids just don't want to play here. So thank you for not overreacting and having a little faith in the man you hired and sticking behind him. I am sorry that some fans in this state have unrealistic expectations that it doesn't take years to get the talent in the program to win on a more steady basis. So thank you on behalf of all the gopher fans who support the program, and don't only have negative things to say.

For the record, do I think that Brewster has done everything perfectly. Absolutly not, but having stability in a program which I think has more talent in it than I can ever remember on both sides of the ball, I think that is progress. So I think we are going to the Rose Bowl this year or in the next couple years, probably not. But I think we are becoming more competitive with the better teams in the conference. If we would have gotten better QB play last year, I think we could have been a very good team. We have a lot of work to do before we can become part of the elite in the conference but I think it is possible. And lets be honest, sometimes we just need to catch some lucky breaks along the way.

Dear Mr. Maturi,

I would like to make that quote more accurate:

Dear Mr. Maturi,

Let me make this short and sweet, YOU'RE A JOEDIRT!

Are we even 100% sure Maturi was the hold up? It may have been Brew looking for more cash or a lower buyout.

Very probable Khaliq. Most assume Maturi and the UM are always the culprit. Last I checked, contracts involve at least two parties. IMO, Brewster has very little leverage and Maturi has his hand on the handle at this time. I hope there was a minimal buy-out clause. If Brewster gets it done in the next two or three years, then reward him. Now is not the time. If not then show him the exit.

I would like to make that quote more accurate:

Dear Mr. Maturi,

Let me make this short and sweet, YOU'RE A JOEDIRT!

Maturi is no JoeDirt, Doctor. If he was, he would've given an extension a month ago.

For all of you Maturi and Brewster supporters, you must love being irrelevant. No one on this board wants 10 coaches in 5 years or whatever stupid exaggeration.

We want to win. As Steve Spurrier said, "You are your record." And what is Brewster's record? What are the big wins? Exactly.

Honestly, look in the mirror. Do you really think BREWSTER is going to lead the Gophers to the Rose Bowl? Be honest. If not, then why is he here? We could get 4th place every year with Mason.

And Maturi is a just an idiot. Look at how he handled the Mason and Monson issues. When was the last time a basketball coach was fired that early in a season. And sign Mason, then fire him a year later. Wake up to reality.

Honestly, look in the mirror. Do you really think BREWSTER is going to lead the Gophers to the Rose Bowl? Be honest. If not, then why is he here? We could get 4th place every year with Mason.

ORLY?

1997 Minnesota 3-9 1-7 T-9th
1998 Minnesota 5-6 2-6 T-7th
1999 Minnesota 8-4 5-3 T-4th
2000 Minnesota 6-6 4-4 T-5th
2001 Minnesota 4-7 2-6 T-10th
2002 Minnesota 8-5 3-5 7th
2003 Minnesota 10-3 5-3 T-4th
2004 Minnesota 7-5 3-5 8th
2005 Minnesota 7-5 4-4 7th
2006 Minnesota 6-7 3-5 T-6th

2 = 10?

Given where they ended up, the question should be why were they even offered if the best they can do is UL-M, etc.

Shouldn't the evaluation be better up front?

For all of you Maturi and Brewster supporters, you must love being irrelevant. No one on this board wants 10 coaches in 5 years or whatever stupid exaggeration.

We want to win. As Steve Spurrier said, "You are your record." And what is Brewster's record? What are the big wins? Exactly.

And Maturi is a just an idiot. Look at how he handled the Mason and Monson issues. When was the last time a basketball coach was fired that early in a season. And sign Mason, then fire him a year later. Wake up to reality.

Take your own advice and look in the mirror, do you see a Gopher fan? or just a bitter, pessimistic, angry loser?

Go away, if we want to hear angry uninformed information we will just turn on KFAN

Top Bottom