Mason stories please on why you hate him

Ralph_Wiggum

Banned
Reaction score
I thought it was a mistake to fire Mason but you hear that he was a jerk. Well do any of you have stories that are true? What did he do besides blow big leads that caused so many of you to dislike him?

Mason clearly had a fake Ohio accent. What a phoney!

He does not sound anything like the people from New Jersey that I work with, even though Glen grew up in New Jersey. Oh wait...l...

Didn't give a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# about recruiting.
Wouldn't know what a defense is if you beat him with Jerry Sandusky.
10 years without a Special Teams coach, which never once hurt us.
Didn't give a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# about traditions here. (Trinket games?)
Had an outstanding running game, but was pathetic when it came to developing a passing game.

Did I miss anything?

Well, he was kinda surly if you weren't a VIP. I met him at the State Fair. It was the summer of 2001 when you will recall he was in major trouble with the public for campaigning so hard for the Ohio St job the previous season. He did not look happy to be there. I think some people had been zinging him all day in our lovely Minnesota passive aggressive way.

glenn is a snarky clown but look, it's not about diskiking him, it is about winning. He had a couple good yrs and then tanked. Nothing more, nothing less. Believe me, we'll put up with a lot if the team is winning 10 or more a year and playing in Jan. Nuff said.

Why to Like Him

I have a friend who had a brother who was a back-up for Mason...the young man sadly died of a heart defect...no one saw it coming...Mason loaded up a bus with team members and drove to the young man's funeral...he spoke at the funeral and was awesome with the grieving family...my freind always says "Glen mason is alright in my book." He's alright in mine too.

Had an outstanding running game, but was pathetic when it came to developing a passing game.

Did I miss anything?[/QUOTE]

Well you sort of missed the part about Mason offenses having nearly the same number of passing yards as the brewster offenses with many few attempts, but OK.

Didn't give a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# about recruiting.
Wouldn't know what a defense is if you beat him with Jerry Sandusky.
10 years without a Special Teams coach, which never once hurt us.
Didn't give a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# about traditions here. (Trinket games?)

Did I miss anything?

Yes, those are NOT stories on why so many thought he was a jerk. That's coaching which he wasn't that bad at when you look at him compared to others in the big ten while he was coach like Bobby Williams or Gerry Dinardo.

I think Mason's Offense has spoiled us & we were pretty much willing to accept a mediocre Offense if it came with a good Defense...

But this season? Yuck...

After having the huge meltdown against Texas Tech (biggest bowl meltdown I think), he was caught laughing and smiling in the locker room by Maturi and and Bruininks.

That's all I needed to hear to come to the conclusion that the guy was a 'jerk'.

Didn't hate him, but very much resented that, after his third - and first successful - season, he flirted with both LSU and Michigan State. Later, he openly courted the Ohio State job. Didn't seem to have much loyalty to Minnesota. The late game collapses didn't help, either. Nevertheless, he did for us pretty much what he had done for Kansas: took a losing program, became a winner (though just above .500), got into bowls, developed some All-Americans, had a couple of really good seasons and knocked off some of the big boys on their home turf. No one since Warmath had done that.

After 2003 we got a little worse each year. Our defense kept getting worse and the highly touted running game quietly turned from excellent to average. We went from rushing for 3,800 yards in 2003 to 2,100 in 2006 in a slow steady decline. Somehow this seems to have been ignored by most fans that yearn for Mason. I'm not saying Brewster was the answer but firing Mason was the right move.

he had zero relationship with the local high school coaches, and was ok with 3rd tier ohio recruits.

He couldn't recruit locally, although Brewster can't get the top recruits, either. He seemed to rub a lot of people the wrong way with his somewhat arrogant personality. He couldn't recruit defensive talent to save his life, either. The defensive talent on this team is MUCH better than Mason teams, Brewster just can't coach.

They need to hire a coach like Leach who has credibility and recognition on a national level so that some of the 4* kids actually want to stay here.

Top Bottom