Mashburn, Ihnen, and Williams Ask for More PT

Kind of strange they had to specifically ask for that role, but it absolutely paid off last night.
Not necessarily. It can all be interrelated. The coach needs to have confidence and part of that is the payers showing they have the confidence by stepping up into that role. The team needed a spark and these player said they could do it. Pitino gave them a shot and they responded by taking control of the game. Pitino tells the players to make him play them, they proved last night that he needs to play them.

Kind of strange they had to specifically ask for that role, but it absolutely paid off last night.
I'm guessing that most of the team will have a similar conversation...

"play me more"
"get me the ball more"
"let me shoot more"

My guess is the coach asks what more he can do for the players etc. and that is probably a typical response.

Well darn. I think the boys are tired of clanking and banging.

I may be wrong but seems like the title to this thread could be a little misleading. The title could be misconstrued as the players being belligerent/selfish and/or Pitino being out of touch. This is not the sense at all that I get from the comments of the players or coach.

Ihnen makes impactful plays. He had a massive O board last night. He had a steal at the top of the key due to his length. Made a couple shots. Closed out on shooters and disrupted them without fouling. His length is crazy. I remember seeing him in person last year and thinking it was Oturu.

Not necessarily. It can all be interrelated. The coach needs to have confidence and part of that is the payers showing they have the confidence by stepping up into that role. The team needed a spark and these player said they could do it. Pitino gave them a shot and they responded by taking control of the game. Pitino tells the players to make him play them, they proved last night that he needs to play them.
Agree.

Really? So all of a sudden Mash, Tre and Ihnen deserve more PT just because they asked? Hmmmm. Either the players play in practice and on the floor warrants more PT or not. Has RP ignored them and stubbornly hangs with his top 5 and majority of the minutes in spite of the talents of other players?

Anyone with an eye for hoops can see the potential of Mash, Tre, and even Ihnen. So what about Freeman? What has he done in practice? Does he deserve some PT?

This makes me wonder as Curry, bless his heart, and Omersa have received plenty of PT as well as Gabe who is not even close to the players he can be.

Yet, they have to ask RP for more court time????? Something does not add up with this story.

Yes, and Pitino may sense that this team more than his others could be player led . That make up leads to the best teams.

Really? So all of a sudden Mash, Tre and Ihnen deserve more PT just because they asked? Hmmmm. Either the players play in practice and on the floor warrants more PT or not. Has RP ignored them and stubbornly hangs with his top 5 and majority of the minutes in spite of the talents of other players?

Anyone with an eye for hoops can see the potential of Mash, Tre, and even Ihnen. So what about Freeman? What has he done in practice? Does he deserve some PT?

This makes me wonder as Curry, bless his heart, and Omersa have received plenty of PT as well as Gabe who is not even close to the players he can be.

Yet, they have to ask RP for more court time????? Something does not add up with this story.

Would be disappointed if those 3 thought their play before last night merited more playing time. I would guess their feeling was some combination of disappointment in their own play and wanting direction from their Coach going forward. Pitino appreciated that they didnt want to settle for becoming afterthoughts and said make me play you.

Certainly we are all reading between the lines somewhat here, but after listening to the interviews this seems like a situation to me of players taking a mature approach and a Coach pressing the right buttons to get the most out of his guys.

Last edited:

All three need to play more. At whose expense? There are several obvious candidates.

I don't think these conversations are uncommon. I agree with a poster earlier that the thread title is a little misleading. I'd venture to say every player is asking for more time. It's good to hear Richard is meeting with players more and developing relationships. That being said, when your job and livelihood is on the line, it's hard to not play people you trust. Richard has shown this for many years that he requires your trust to play you. Hopefully this trio continues to earn his trust like they did against BC.

Pitino had mentioned in his post game presser that he had meetings with his players(dont even know if it was recently or 2 weeks ago) just as I'm sure every coach does, and I think all 3 of those guys said they wanted to play more. I'm sure 5 other guys said that too. Basically, i think reporter put his own spin on this to get readers.

Players should be asking for more PT all the time. Or I wouldn't want them on my team.

Coaches needing to have players ask to actually give it to them or responding to the request, run the tricky slope of being a weak coach who can be controlled by the players.

I remember asking my coach for more PT. His response, "My grandmother wants more PT, show me that you deserve it."

These guys look to have shown they do deserve it.

Yes, and Pitino may sense that this team more than his others could be player led . That make up leads to the best teams.
Hopefully their elite how will allow them to live a hyppr life thus allowing this teams latent nektonlike qualities to show through

Players should be asking for more PT all the time. Or I wouldn't want them on my team.

Coaches needing to have players ask to actually give it to them or responding to the request, run the tricky slope of being a weak coach who can be controlled by the players.

I remember asking my coach for more PT. His response, "My grandmother wants more PT, show me that you deserve it."

These guys look to have shown they do deserve it.

Yes, it can be tricky. Inmates cant run the asylum. But if memory serves those 3 didnt play much the first half. I believe ihnen and williams came in at about the 15 minute mark of the second half and mashburn about a minute later. They continued playing then because they earned it. At least that is the sense I got.

Yes, it can be tricky. Inmates cant run the asylum. But if memory serves those 3 didnt play much the first half. I believe ihnen and williams came in at about the 15 minute mark of the second half and mashburn about a minute later. They continued playing then because they earned it. At least that is the sense I got.

Ihnen played 7 total minutes combined the two games previously. Body language was very poor in the UND game.

With Johnson hurt, Ihnen should get some good run. He might be able to cement a big role.

535.6 Carr
533.2 Gach
524.6 Robbins
529.4 Kalscheur
519.8 Johnson
514.4 Curry
511.6 Mashburn
412.8 Williams
511.2 Omersa
513.4 Ihnen
Here are the average minutes for the season. 10 guys averaging over 10 minutes is pretty good distribution. My OP was just posting the article without my opinion. It's early and it will likely play out with injuries and as Pitino becomes more comfortable with rotation. If the guys looking for more time improve defense they will see more time. Carr is going to skew the offense toward him all season with his talent.

I have my concerns with Pitino, I think you're a little harsh on him (at times rightfully so)

This is about closest to a compliment I've seen you give :)

535.6 Carr
533.2 Gach
524.6 Robbins
529.4 Kalscheur
519.8 Johnson
514.4 Curry
511.6 Mashburn
412.8 Williams
511.2 Omersa
513.4 Ihnen
Here are the average minutes for the season. 10 guys averaging over 10 minutes is pretty good distribution. My OP was just posting the article without my opinion. It's early and it will likely play out with injuries and as Pitino becomes more comfortable with rotation. If the guys looking for more time improve defense they will see more time. Carr is going to skew the offense toward him all season with his talent.

Looks about right. Ihnen & Mashburn should play more as the season progresses, but they'll have to earn it. Hat tip to Ihnen, for a nice performance against UMKC. He was really, really bad on defense against Green Bay & LMU. So bad that I thought he might have played himself out of the rotation. UMKC was a nice match-up for him and he did really well. Hoping that by the end of the season he can figure it out enough to be our full-time 4. Mashburn also has skills, but his defense is still really bad. He looked like a bullfighter against UMKC.

All we need now is Omersa to ask to play less and we might crack the top 25.

Top Bottom