Martice Mitchell committed to Minnesota!!

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Where is this video we waited hours for?

per Marcus:

Before Martice Mitchell leads one of the top high school teams in the state of Illinois his senior season, he wanted to pick a college basketball program best suited to utilize his versatility at 6-10.

The four-star Chicago Heights Bloom High forward announced his decision Monday to be the first commitment in the Gophers’ 2020 recruiting class.

Mitchell, ranked as high as No. 125 in the country and the No. 3 senior in Illinois by 247Sports.com, picked Minnesota over Rutgers. Minnesota coach Richard Pitino has now landed a four-star recruit in six straight recruiting classes, dating back to 2015.

“I think they’re getting a hidden gem,” Mitchell’s mentor, trainer and AAU coach Aubrey DeNard said. “He’s a late bloomer, as far as how good he’s going to be. He’s going to be one of the best guys in the country by the end of this year. He’s very versatile. He can shoot the three, put it on the floor and post up.”

http://www.startribune.com/four-sta...ommits-to-richard-pitino-s-gophers/562475012/

Go Gophers!!

[SUB][/SUB]

Did I miss it? I listened to the video and didn’t hear MN commit once. That said it was tough to hear anything over the music. Does he actually say he’s committed to the U?

The video shows him wearing a Gopher shirt for a few seconds. That's it.

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Love it. A very wise coach once told me that he tells his players that at the end of a offseason can that player say he would crush his old self in a game of one on one. If not, he did not do his job. This kid loves the work, take them every time.

He says "What if I told you I am proud to be a Gopher" then reveals the M.

Very cool. Very nice. Very excited

Welcome. Ski-U-Mah.

Nice start and worth the wait.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I trust the coaching staff. Looks like he'll need to spend time in the weight room. His stroke looks pure. Seems he'll be a kid who will be night and day different by the time he is a senior at UMN. I like watching that progress.

I trust the coaching staff. Looks like he'll need to spend time in the weight room. His stroke looks pure. Seems he'll be a kid who will be night and day different by the time he is a senior at UMN. I like watching that progress.
Meh...The kid's jacked compared to Chet Holmgren

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

tenor.gif

The video shows him wearing a Gopher shirt for a few seconds. That's it.

Go Gophers!!

The video I saw had a big M logo covering the screen at the end. It’s not in the one posted in this thread though.

Welcome Martice! Love the length, movement, and stroke. Congrats to the coaching staff.

Go Gophers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice beginning to 2020. Several nice offers and highly rated. Just from video clips and the stats I’ve seen highlighted on video thumbnails he reminds me of Freeman. Much less physical but more perimeter potential. However, he’s not going to score too often on anything but dunks to begin his Gopher career unless his quickness dramatically improves in his perimeter skills...shot release, ball handling footwork, acceleration etc

But he has over 365 days to accomplish that before playing here. Nice prospect but not presently a scorer. We need Garcia and Walton or I guess Mashburn to commit and add some points to the 2020 group.

He will be good! Just probably not right away.

Last edited:

Nice beginning to 2020. Several nice offers and highly rated. Just from video clips and the stats I’ve seen highlighted on video thumbnails he reminds me of Freeman. Much less physical but more perimeter potential. However, he’s not going to score too often on anything but dunks to begin his Gopher career unless his quickness dramatically improves in his perimeter skills...shot release, ball handling footwork, acceleration etc

But he has over 365 days to accomplish that before playing here. Nice prospect but not presently a scorer. We need Garcia and Walton or I guess Mashburn to commit and add some points to the 2020 group.

Did you watch his workout video? I'd say his ballhandling looks pretty good. Respectfully, I don't think he is like Freeman - who is a defending and rebounding big right now. Mitchell was specifically recruited to play wing. He will add some weight and refine his game this year, but I think this kid is different than other 6'10 players we have had.

Did you watch his workout video? I'd say his ballhandling looks pretty good. Respectfully, I don't think he is like Freeman - who is a defending and rebounding big right now. Mitchell was specifically recruited to play wing. He will add some weight and refine his game this year, but I think this kid is different than other 6'10 players we have had.

Yes, he’s potentially different, I completely agree. Yes, I did watch his ball handling video. He can do it...that’s good but at the speed he is doing it... it’s a layup on the other end versus a quality defender too often that confidence to use isn’t there yet. It may be there in 365 days. Lots of upside! No doubt. Just my coaching opinion/evaluation right now he won’t be a freshman sensation (could progress to that with hours of work) But/and I also don’t know anything about his path to get where he’s presently at in his development.

Happy he is a Gopher!

Last edited:

Yes, he’s potentially different, I completely agree. Yes, I did watch his ball handling video. He can do it...that’s good but at the speed he is doing it... it’s a layup on the other end versus a quality defender too often that confidence to use isn’t there yet. It may be there in 365 days. Lots of upside! No doubt. Just my coaching opinion/evaluation right now he won’t be a freshman sensation. But I also don’t know anything about his path to get where he’s presently at in his development.

That's fair. Not sure he will be a freshman sensation either. Hopefully we are too deep with Garcia and Ihnen and Williams for him to get many minutes in 2020.

Yeah, I don't think he's anything like Freeman. Mitchell is a skilled big with a perimeter oriented game that could benefit from adding strength. Freeman is a more physical big that rebounds better that doesn't have a perimeter game, more the typical type of big we normally get.

4 star? Seen rated 3 star too.

More of a project than an immediate big contributor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom