Martice Mitchell committed to Minnesota!!

Thanks!
He is skinny but with great ability and potential. I like that he played in the tough Chicago leagues, that should speed his transition. He needs strength but wow, I like him!

Thanks!
He is skinny but with great ability and potential. I like that he played in the tough Chicago leagues, that should speed his transition. He needs strength but wow, I like him!
Hes got great upside. His stats arent there because he plays with 4 other division 1 guys. Hes from south suburbs of chicago. Really good basketball around there.

He's the 4th ranked recruit from Illinois in the 2020 class, I wouldn't get too concerned about stats

odd, that he is from ILL and the badgers didn't get him. oh wait.

Just coincidence that they have mostly white players.... hahahahahhahahahaha.

Just coincidence that they have mostly white players.... hahahahahhahahahaha.
J. Taylor,K. Taylor, Hayes, the Davis twins and more than a dozen others think that talk is foolish. Gard recruits players that win, he does not care about the color of someones skin. Are we scholarship inferior players because they have dark pigmentation.

J. Taylor,K. Taylor, Hayes, the Davis twins and more than a dozen others think that talk is foolish. Gard recruits players that win, he does not care about the color of someones skin. Are we scholarship inferior players because they have dark pigmentation.

Madison is a campus that is very appealing to affluent Midwest suburban kids (who are typically more white). That’s why they end up with more white kids. Gard recruits that group of kids. He also gets inner city kids too, but it’s where his bread and butter is. People who look at the cove sadly miss the best part of the book.

You don't find it at least somewhat interesting/odd that WI is virtually the opposite race mix of the rest of college basketball year-over-year? I'm not saying Bo/Gard are racist, but it's really interesting to me that their teams are continually on the white side.

You don't find it at least somewhat interesting/odd that WI is virtually the opposite race mix of the rest of college basketball year-over-year? I'm not saying Bo/Gard are racist, but it's really interesting to me that their teams are continually on the white side.
Especially with their (relative) proximity to Chicago.

It may be interesting but I don't think that in any way they are racist. They are favoring learned skill over athleticism as they recruit and if they can get both, they do. Let's face it, black athletes as a group have higher end athleticism. The higher your athleticism the more you are likely to want to play fast paced ball, because it is to your advantage to do so.

On the other hand white players often realize that their route to playing basketball is going to be practicing skills and fitting in a system that may slow things down a bit to their advantage. It's just reality. It doesn't mean that it holds for all black players or white players or that black players don't work hard at what they do.

Wisconsin chooses players that fit their system and want to play in it. They have good athletes, sometimes really good, but they are all skilled players. I can't stand Wisconsin, but I can respect their system. I hope that this is the last nice thing I say about Wisconsin basketball for a long while. :)

It may be interesting but I don't think that in any way they are racist. They are favoring learned skill over athleticism as they recruit and if they can get both, they do. Let's face it, black athletes as a group have higher end athleticism. The higher your athleticism the more you are likely to want to play fast paced ball, because it is to your advantage to do so.

On the other hand white players often realize that their route to playing basketball is going to be practicing skills and fitting in a system that may slow things down a bit to their advantage. It's just reality. It doesn't mean that it holds for all black players or white players or that black players don't work hard at what they do.

Wisconsin chooses players that fit their system and want to play in it. They have good athletes, sometimes really good, but they are all skilled players. I can't stand Wisconsin, but I can respect their system. I hope that this is the last nice thing I say about Wisconsin basketball for a long while. :)
I agree with most of what you are saying, especially the bolded.

As a person of color i do not find it remotely interesting. They go for what fits, what they look for and take the best they can get no matter the race. Like UVA, Salt was from New Zealand, Badocchi-Italy, Perrantes latino, Gill mixed, Jerome mixed, Clark-Phillipino. everyone is mixed. The list goes on and on. They want kids that can actually take a regular academic path at UVA, fIt what they look for. They look to win no matter the skin color or nationality. Same here. We just have had a run of suburban white kids that do not want to play here.

Methinks someone mixes up their "we's" and "they's".

But lets get back to talking about Martice Mitchell in this thread.
Sorry to fall into the built trap. I'm very excited for Martice coming in next year. Like Ihnen, needs to put on some weight but a very exciting prospect - who had some other nice options/offers (Xavier, Oregon, Maryland, Iowa - at least per 247)...).

For Martice next year, I could see him giving the Gophers what Reuvers gave Wisky in his frosh year when Reuvers was thin as a rail. That year Reuvers averaged 16 minutes, 5 points and 2 boards. I think that the 4th ranked player in Illinois has that within his capability easily- perhaps more.

Pitino may never get to see it happen, (and shouldn't if this year is not good) but I like what he has built for two years out with potentially
Mitchell, Ihnen and Freeman along with Gabe, Carr and Mashburn as a core. Lot's of length in the 3,4 and 5 positions.

so you are saying blacks are more athletic than whites? What is this 1970?

Top Bottom