Marcus shows just how in touch he is...

Unregistered User

Wild animal with a keyboard
Reaction score
~Edwards said the defensive line will be a lot better this season, because the Gophers have more "wild players." I didn't really understand what that meant, even after he explained it.

"We might not have as many technique type players, but we have more players that are greedy for tackles," he said. "(Hageman) is more like me as a player, because he's really wild and doesn't care about getting hurt. We're going to be more nasty as a line."~
-------------------------------------------------------------
What's not to understand about that statement?

Is this going to be similar to the "junkyard dogs" defense we heard so much about a couple years ago?

To sum up

They will be playing with their hair on fire. Remember that?

Is this going to be similar to the "junkyard dogs" defense we heard so much about a couple years ago?

I love it. Defenses need a bit of swagger and a mean streak to be good.
Kirksey and Edwards have both shown to play with emotion, if they are indeed becoming leaders of the defense then it bodes well for the aggressiveness and overall tenacity of our front 7.
Watch Nebraska's dline last year with Suh in the lead, that whole group was impressive and played angry. We could do worse than have QB's and RB's feeling pain in the backfield.

Great, 2007 revisited! Wild = undisiplined. Wild is fine for the playground. Wild = getting burned on counters, rollouts and traps...can't wait.

They will be playing with their hair on fire. Remember that?

Never could figure that one out. How easy would it be to focus on making your read then squaring up to make a tackle with your hair on fire????

~Edwards said the defensive line will be a lot better this season, because the Gophers have more "wild players." I didn't really understand what that meant, even after he explained it.

"We might not have as many technique type players, but we have more players that are greedy for tackles," he said. "(Hageman) is more like me as a player, because he's really wild and doesn't care about getting hurt. We're going to be more nasty as a line."~
-------------------------------------------------------------
What's not to understand about that statement?

I dont buy this statement one bit. I do think that this line will be better then last years line, but not because they are more "nasty" and "dont care about getting hurt". Eric Small and Garrett Brown were beasts! I think this line will be better because they are more athletic players. It will take a few games to be better, but they should hit there stride by BIG10 play.

I dont buy this statement one bit. I do think that this line will be better then last years line, but not because they are more "nasty" and "dont care about getting hurt". Eric Small and Garrett Brown were beasts! I think this line will be better because they are more athletic players. It will take a few games to be better, but they should hit there stride by BIG10 play.

Brown and Small were solid Big Ten DTs...but Kirksey and Edwards were arguably better last season.

Kirksey, in particular, could turn into an absolute beast...

Those were 2 guys. Our 3 main DEs were Moen, McKinnley and DO. None came off as 'emotion' guys

Brown and Small were solid Big Ten DTs...but Kirksey and Edwards were arguably better last season.

Kirksey, in particular, could turn into an absolute beast...

I agree, but after seeing Edwards in the spring game, he could stand to lose 15-20lbs.

Never could figure that one out. How easy would it be to focus on making your read then squaring up to make a tackle with your hair on fire????

You really can't figure it out?

It means you play fast. This play wild, greedy for tackles, etc. gets down to the players not having to think and just go play. When you have to think about what you're doing, you play slower. Coaches just like trying to say it in cool cliches. It is coach speak.

So what's the over/under on defensive 15 yard Personal Fouls for the year? Anyone have a guess?

Top Bottom