Marcus Jones...

Cobra

former west banker
Reaction score
Is anyone else getting the feeling that Marcus Jones might be a game changer for the Gophers?
I hate to put undue pressure & expectations on this young player, but I have a hunch his contribution will start early, & be significant.

Hopefully he becomes a desean jackson type impact player in the future for us. An undersized gamebreaker that can change a game in just one play. I hope he can keep developing and growing as a player!

Is anyone else getting the feeling that Marcus Jones might be a game changer for the Gophers?
I hate to put undue pressure & expectations on this young player, but I have a hunch his contribution will start early, & be significant.

Fortunately, you and I do not have the ability to put "undue pressure & expectations on this young player".

Any kid that graduates high school 6 months ahead of time can shrug us off like a crumb.

Go Marcus, Go Gophers.

Marcus.

During the first 3 days of practice recap he seemingly has been tagged with "bad hands" on pass routes. Not good.

If I had to guess I'd say that this is Johnny Johnson syndrome. Lots of good reports in the spring and not much come fall. Let's see how he does with pads on.

Jones was not a highly ranked HS football player down here. The fact that Coach Kill likes what he sees so far in SP is very good news for the Gophers. It means can locate and develop talent at a level we need to succeed.

Early graduation to attend SP is not unusual down here either. It is something big time football programs do. Another very good sign. It will benefit Jones immensely. BT level training, coaching, and diet pays huge dividends early on.

If I had to guess I'd say that this is Johnny Johnson syndrome. Lots of good reports in the spring and not much come fall. Let's see how he does with pads on.

Any reason why you think that?

Jones is small, like 5-6 or 5-7 small. Could he be the next Tutu Atwell? Of course, but there are not many WR's that succeed at that size.

As far as I can tell, he played almost exclusively on defense in HS, but did manage 24 yards receiving last year. He's an early enrollee so he probably isn't as ready to contribute as the rest of the guys already on campus due to his age and lack of experience at the position.

He is from NC which has plenty of colleges recruiting that area and he didn't draw much interest. He camped at East Carolina and didn't earn an offer, which happens, but he didn't earn an offer when he camped at Memphis. The same Memphis team that has finished 1-11 and 2-10 the last two years playing in the Sun Belt Conference.

But Jones has what Kill seems to want in every one of his players, speed. Speed can be the great equalizer. Will that be the case here? Time will tell. I just wanted to state a projection without being overly negative towards the player.

Hopefully he becomes a desean jackson type impact player in the future for us. An undersized gamebreaker that can change a game in just one play. I hope he can keep developing and growing as a player!

Yeah hopefully he ends up being as fast as one of the fastest players in the nfl...I don't expect a ton from him to be honest, hopefully I'm wrong. I'd be happy if he turns out to be a competent punt returner and a guy that can make some plays on jet sweeps and screens and plays of that sort.

Yeah hopefully he ends up being as fast as one of the fastest players in the nfl...I don't expect a ton from him to be honest, hopefully I'm wrong. I'd be happy if he turns out to be a competent punt returner and a guy that can make some plays on jet sweeps and screens and plays of that sort.

Kill recruited a few Marcus Jones types at NIU, you're right on. He's a HB/slotback type who can run the fly sweep and catch short passes/slot screens and take them for some gains with YAC.
I think he might even move to defense someday, but right now he might be the only player on the team with the speed for that position.

MV has a video recapping today. He said Michael Carter absolutely crushed Marcus Jones. He also said Brendan Beal laid a huge hit on Lamonte Edwards.

I watched practice last Saturday. He is really quick but he dropped a lot of balls. I'd wait until he shows up on Saturdays in the fall before you annoint him anything.

Top Bottom