Marcus Fuller blog: Stoudermire soon to be a Big Ten record-holder

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Stoudermire soon to be a Big Ten record-holder
By Marcus Fuller

If Troy Stoudermire never returned to the Gophers after posting on his Facebook page earlier this month that he was planning to leave, then he wouldn't have a chance to break the Big Ten record for career kickoff return yards this week at Purdue.

The junior from Dallas now knows that he needs just 45 yards to surpass former Michigan State standout Derrick Mason's record of 2,575 yards.

"The record doesn't mean anything to me," Stoudermire said. "It's just a record to break. I'm pretty sure I'll break it soon."

Stoudermire, who is No. 2 on the depth chart behind freshman cornerback Brock Vereen, hasn't played defense in a game since switching positions from wide receiver when he was reinstated from a suspension. He said the coaches didn't feel he was ready yet. But he could get an opportunity Saturday to help the secondary.

"It's kind of hard to sit back and watch," Stoudermire said. "I think I'm out because I have to get the defense down. It's not really a complicated defense. But it's complicated enough for me just to go out there and learn it, to get the feeling of it. I think they want me to practice more before I get a lot of game reps."

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/2010/10/stoudermire-soon-to-be-big-ten.html

Go Gophers!!

This is one of the problems I have with Brewster. He raves about Troy being a playmaker and even talks to the Vikings looking for ideas of how to get him even more involved in the offense, then he switches him to defense where he sits. Everybody says how much Brewster cares for his players, but I think Troy got the shaft.

yet he's never housed one....

This record means about as much as Weber's all-time passing records at the U.

This is one of the problems I have with Brewster. He raves about Troy being a playmaker and even talks to the Vikings looking for ideas of how to get him even more involved in the offense, then he switches him to defense where he sits. Everybody says how much Brewster cares for his players, but I think Troy got the shaft.

The error with Troy "Stonehands" Stoudermire was ever taking him off defense in the first place.

yet he's never housed one....

This record means about as much as Weber's all-time passing records at the U.

Weber's yards are significant. But all leading in kick returns tells you is that you had lots and lots of opportunities to return kickoffs.

Weber's yards are significant. But all leading in kick returns tells you is that you had lots and lots of opportunities to return kickoffs.

It means more than just lots of opportunities. It means you typically gave your team good to great field position with those returns.

Stoudamire will get a look to be an NFL kick returner (I doubt he sticks). The record doesn't mean he is one of the best ever, it means he has had a lot of chances, but he is a very solid KR.

The error with Troy "Stonehands" Stoudermire was ever taking him off defense in the first place.

Agreed. Allen clearly surpassed him on offense.

Troy's a good football player and hopefully he can do what Sam Shields did at Miami (FL).

Top Bottom