Marcus Fuller blog: Offense fine with Stoudermire switching sides?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Offense fine with Stoudermire switching sides?
By Marcus Fuller

Gophers offensive coordinator Jeff Horton lost one of his more dynamic playmakers last week when junior receiver Troy Stoudermire was suspended for Saturday's 34-23 loss to Northern Illinois.

Stoudermire was reinstated Tuesday, but Horton lost him again when he was moved to help the defense at cornerback. Horton said the offense should have enough weapons to make up for the loss of the Gophers' third-leading receiver through the first three games.

"I think we have plenty of guys on our side of the ball," said Horton, who expects sophomore Bryant Allen to continue to develop with Stoudermire gone.

Allen had three catches for 37 yards against the Huskies in his second game this season. Horton also expressed confidence in receivers MarQueis Gray and Da'Jon McKnight being the go-to threats for quarterback Adam Weber. They combined to catch 15 passes for 189 yards and two touchdowns last week.

"But we left a lot of short-yardage situations on the field," he said. "That would have allowed us to keep the ball longer and have more chances to score. I'm disappointed where we're at in the red zone. Our percentage is high scoring points, but we want to score touchdowns first."

-- Gray said he's getting enough reps in practice at quarterback to feel comfortable if he has to step in for Weber this season, although he doesn't expect it to be soon.

In only four games, Gray said he already feels like he can be "unstoppable" at times as a receiver. He said that receivers coach Steve Watson built confidence in him.

Watson gave his players a laugh when he tried to run a route on Gophers defensive backs coach Ronnie Lee while catching a pass from Weber.

"He almost looked like he's still got it," Gray said, referring to Watson's playing days in the NFL with the Denver Broncos in the 1980s.

-- Senior tackle Dom Alford wasn't competing in drills with his offensive line teammates to start Tuesday's practice. Alford appeared to be recovering from a leg injury.

-- Junior tailback Duane Bennett tweaked his ankle a bit again in the last game, but he seemed fine taking handoffs with the first-team offense Tuesday.

-- Junior receiver Brandon Green said his knee was feeling better, but his status for this week is uncertain. He didn't practice Tuesday.

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/2010/09/offense-fine-with-stoudermire.html

Go Gophers!!

If you watch the post-practice interview with Coach Brew on FBT, he indicates that Stoudemire will see time at DB on the field this Saturday "If we need him..."

Curious to see if we actually see him on the field as a DB com Saturday. I can't imagine this was a move by Brewster to appease Stoudemire's apparent idle threat to walk out on the Gophers, given that he had the 3rd WR slot pretty much locked up, and will now be down a ways on the DB depth chart. But if this is a long-term move, then I can see this panning out.

It sounds like Stoudemire wanted this. And I can see it. I think he'll be one of the better DB's in the big ten once he gets his game back, and I think he would have always been the third WR with some breakaways, but few receptions.

So with one he has a shot at an NFL camp, with the other not a chance in hell. It's a sound move.

For the team, it's almost meaningless on the offense side. We are very deep with that type of reciever. I think Allen has better hands too, so maybe that is what Horton alluded to with the short passing game.

I really like this move he was originally recruited as a corner and it clearly wasn't working out at reciever. I think he could make an imediate impact at DB.

This move begs an answer to the question: What happened to Carter??

I thought he had all world potential with man coverage?

Carter, Vareen, Henderson, Collado, and now Stoudemire. We only need two cornerbacks and we have at least 5 candidates. And this going into a game where the secondary will be exposed.
"If we need him..." that's rich.

I thought Bryant Allen did well the other night. He seems to fit the slot receiver role to a "T." Better hands than Troy and looks to run very tight routes.

Stoudermire is a great talent, but he may be more suited for returning kicks and playing DB. No question Troy has ability though and I'm glad he's back on the team and will be contributing somewhere.

I know I say this a lot, but Stoudermire is another guy who could have used a red-shirt season. Not that he didn't have the ability to compete at this level right off the bat, but an extra year would have given the staff an idea of where he would have been a stronger player. Brewster's coaching obit should probably include a line or two about his relative impatience. He'd have been better off not going to a bowl his second year and building a foundation instead of blowing kids' eligibility for a short-term tick that supposedly proved the team was already where it had been under Mason. I know many will disagree with me and I'm ready to take my lumps.

-- Junior receiver Brandon Green said his knee was feeling better, but his status for this week is uncertain. He didn't practice Tuesday.
Go Gophers!!

Is it time to consider a red-shirt for Brandon Green?

This move begs an answer to the question: What happened to Carter??

I thought he had all world potential with man coverage?

Actually, it does not beg the question. It raises the question.

From Wikipedia:

Begging the question (or petitio principii, "assuming the initial point") is a type of logical fallacy in which the proposition to be proved is assumed implicitly or explicitly in the premise.

The fallacy of petitio principii, or "begging the question", is committed "when a proposition which requires proof is assumed without proof."[2] More specifically, petitio principii refers to arguing for a conclusion that has already been assumed in the premise, in effect "begging" any listener to "question" the basis of the logic. The fallacy may be committed in various ways.

Some English speakers assume "beg the question" means "raise the question" and use it so: for example, "this year's deficit is half a trillion dollars, which begs the question: how are we ever going to balance the budget?" Many usage commentators deem such usage incorrect.

I thought Bryant Allen did well the other night. He seems to fit the slot receiver role to a "T." Better hands than Troy and looks to run very tight routes.

Stoudermire is a great talent, but he may be more suited for returning kicks and playing DB. No question Troy has ability though and I'm glad he's back on the team and will be contributing somewhere.

I know I say this a lot, but Stoudermire is another guy who could have used a red-shirt season. Not that he didn't have the ability to compete at this level right off the bat, but an extra year would have given the staff an idea of where he would have been a stronger player. Brewster's coaching obit should probably include a line or two about his relative impatience. He'd have been better off not going to a bowl his second year and building a foundation instead of blowing kids' eligibility for a short-term tick that supposedly proved the team was already where it had been under Mason. I know many will disagree with me and I'm ready to take my lumps.

Meh, a bad record in 08' would have killed the stadium buzz and hurt recruiting, Stoudemire has proven he belongs since he took his first kickoff, just hasn't been consistent as a receiver.
I think this points to the gameplan on Sat, we are going to man up more and try to use guys to contain and shadow Persa, we need dbacks that can hang 1 on 1 if we are going to try that, Stoudemire probably wanted a shot to play more, and to be honest this speaks to Bryant Allen's skills too, he has looked better at WR than Troy did.
I'd be shocked if he still doesn't get a handful of snaps on O here and there.

I am not sure Stoudermire has the hands to be a top reciever in the Big Ten. He has the spead and athleticism that is for sure. I wish he would have switched to defense earlier.

Would you be a grammatical d-bag if you we're having a conversation in person with Bayfield? If not, why do it here?

A d-bag is a hygienic product. I take that as a compliment! Thank you!

In all seriousness, yes I would mention it. A message board under the umbrella of an institution of higher learning is a funny place to discourage education.

A message board under the umbrella of an institution of higher learning is a funny place to discourage education.

That seems like a fine assumption, however let me remind you that you are "educating" us idiots by presenting the source that is Wikipedia; Which begs the question, how can you educate us to a level acceptable to our beloved university while using a source that is not recognized by our university? I look forward to learning from you later.

That seems like a fine assumption, however let me remind you that you are "educating" us idiots by presenting the source that is Wikipedia; Which begs the question, how can you educate us to a level acceptable to our beloved university while using a source that is not recognized by our university? I look forward to learning from you later.

First and foremost, I am not calling any of you idiots nor did I imply such a thing. I am not calling any of you any name for that matter. The term d-bag was used in reference to me and the term idiot was presented by you. Reducing a discussion to elementary name-calling is not of interest to me.

Secondly, I agree with your point about Wikipedia and with the University's stance on not recognizing Wikipedia as an appropriate source. That is both reasonable and understandable. Fortunately, I am not charged with educating anyone to a level acceptable to our beloved university nor am I discouraging learning in any way.

What I find curious, however, is why you and goldengophers are critical of an individual pointing out a common error rather than the individual making the error. Neither of you have even refuted my argument against the common misuse of the phrase "begs the question."

What I find curious, however, is why you and goldengophers are critical of an individual pointing out a common error rather than the individual making the error. Neither of you have even refuted my argument against the common misuse of the phrase "begs the question."

If I am correct, I believe Bayfield said that this move begs an answer to the question of where Carter is. He did not say that this move begs the question of where Carter is; Therefore he did not make your alledged error, hence there is no reason for myself or Goldengophers to be critical of him. Your refutation is not forthcoming only because the error in question was not in fact made and therefore is irrelevant.

That being said, I no longer want to be in an internet pissing match with you. I like the Gophers; you like the Gophers. We are supposed to be utilizing improper grammar to insult our neighboring pedophiles together, not bitching about how someone may or may not have made a mistake in asking where one of our prized recruits is on the depth chart. You seem like an intelligent person, please direct those brain cells towards finding a way to light bucky on fire or something, I will do the same.

Top Bottom