Marcus Fuller blog: First practice reveals new competitions on defense

"I think Stoudermire will be the Gophers' best defensive back this season. He definitely showed a lot of athletic ability and instinct Thursday deflecting passes."

I think he has a much better attitude toward DB then WR.

As for which are first and second team players, I am not sure, other then the players ego if it is such a big deal at this point. May be a statement concerning the players being responsible for off season conditioning, but it is also a long way to go before the first game.

First off, Stoudermire ended the season playing really well at DB. He wasn't just better than what we had before, he was playing really well. I have no doubt in my mind that he will be the best DB on this team (no offense to Royston).

As far as the DEs. I can't say that I am overly surprised. Everyone I talked to about the RS players last year was gushing about Botticelli. I tended to think he would end up playing DT (still might in a couple seasons). Now, I think that it is probable that the first unit Dlineman were more like our 1st down (looking to stop the run) unit. The suprise players (Delaney, Botticelli, and KGM) are all guys who are big for their position and probably more thought of as "run stuffers" than "pass rushers".

I guess my point is more that I would expect to see a lot more substitutions along that DL depending upon the situation. In a situation like that, it's a little difficult to call someone a starter or a backup.

First off, Stoudermire ended the season playing really well at DB. He wasn't just better than what we had before, he was playing really well. I have no doubt in my mind that he will be the best DB on this team (no offense to Royston).

As far as the DEs. I can't say that I am overly surprised. Everyone I talked to about the RS players last year was gushing about Botticelli. I tended to think he would end up playing DT (still might in a couple seasons). Now, I think that it is probable that the first unit Dlineman were more like our 1st down (looking to stop the run) unit. The suprise players (Delaney, Botticelli, and KGM) are all guys who are big for their position and probably more thought of as "run stuffers" than "pass rushers".

I guess my point is more that I would expect to see a lot more substitutions along that DL depending upon the situation. In a situation like that, it's a little difficult to call someone a starter or a backup.

Solid, solid post, and I agree 100%.

I thought Stoudermire was great last year at CB. Not the best, but for playing mostly at WR for years prior, he stepped up big time. Add to that, The Fumble the last game last year.. I think he's a lock as a starting B1G CB.

Stoudermire played good football the last 4 games, no matter where he spent the rest of the career. It was not good only for a guy who never played there before, it was good period. He plays hard, he tackles hard and he hates to get beat. Perfect temperament for a CB.

Stoudermire played good football the last 4 games, no matter where he spent the rest of the career. It was not good only for a guy who never played there before, it was good period. He plays hard, he tackles hard and he hates to get beat. Perfect temperament for a CB.

Practiced and played corner in high school and half of his Freshman year...

Top Bottom