Marcus Carr might be just what Kentucky needs. What’s his timeline for a decision?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Ben:

Kentucky could be in search of a veteran point guard for next season, and there’s a veteran point guard in search of a new place to play basketball.

Might Marcus Carr be the perfect fit for the Wildcats’ needs this winter?

The former Minnesota point guard — a 6-foot-2 playmaker from Toronto who has excelled for the Golden Gophers over the past two seasons — announced three weeks ago that he would be entering the NCAA transfer portal. Carr, who will turn 22 years old in June, played one season of college ball at Pittsburgh before transferring to Minnesota, and now he’s deciding whether to play for a third college or attempt a jump to the NBA Draft this year.

“He can score in basically every way you can ask of a guy on the perimeter,” 247Sports analyst Travis Branham told the Herald-Leader. “He’s quick. He’s shifty with the ball. He can score in the pick and roll. He’s a good facilitator and playmaker when he wants to be. Shoots it well from three. He’s just a skilled scorer who also functions as a point guard.

“Wherever he goes — and if that is Kentucky — I think he’ll be a highly productive player.”

Go Gophers!!

I would be curious to see how much his game would change, if at all. He was asked to do a lot for us and I think that led to him playing with little control at some junctures.

Carr is talented, but I don't care for his game. Too much ball domination, a loose handle, and mediocre defense.
Those are all attributes that can be corrected with a coach who has more options and intent. it’s too bad he and Oturu didn’t get a second year together - Carr would have benefitted from some similarly dynamic players on his side.

Those are all attributes that can be corrected with a coach who has more options and intent. it’s too bad he and Oturu didn’t get a second year together - Carr would have benefitted from some similarly dynamic players on his side.
I argue that what Carr needs is to develop toughness. Learn how to adapt his game to circumstances as they present themselves.

He isn’t enough of a star to be featured, so he needs to learn how to adapt to whatever opportunites present themselves. Staying and focusing on defense and whatever the team needs may just be the best way for him to build his actual NBA usefullness vs draft stock.

Carr is talented, but I don't care for his game. Too much ball domination, a loose handle, and mediocre defense.

I really don't like his game that much either, but I wonder if that's a function of Carr or the Pitino offense that is modeled after his father's Louisville approach. I remember Russ Smith played similarly to Carr during his years at Louisville, but Smith fits that offense and I don't think Carr really does. Smith is currently playing overseas, but he is much quicker than Carr, a better shooter, and was surrounded by better players.

I think the only reason Carr would go to Kentucky would be to show people that he can play within a system. I don't think it would mean much either way in his NBA aspirations. Carr has some ability, but he doesn't have a single plus-plus ability and that will put a ceiling on a player.

I really don't like his game that much either, but I wonder if that's a function of Carr or the Pitino offense that is modeled after his father's Louisville approach. I remember Russ Smith played similarly to Carr during his years at Louisville, but Smith fits that offense and I don't think Carr really does. Smith is currently playing overseas, but he is much quicker than Carr, a better shooter, and was surrounded by better players.

I think the only reason Carr would go to Kentucky would be to show people that he can play within a system. I don't think it would mean much either way in his NBA aspirations. Carr has some ability, but he doesn't have a single plus-plus ability and that will put a ceiling on a player.
He was encouraged by Pitino to play that way 110%. I feel he would be much more efficient in an offense that actually put limits on what he was allowed to do. His natural vision as a PG not great. Definitely had good assist numbers here, but I feel he had a lot of missed opportunities as well.

I argue that what Carr needs is to develop toughness. Learn how to adapt his game to circumstances as they present themselves.

He isn’t enough of a star to be featured, so he needs to learn how to adapt to whatever opportunites present themselves. Staying and focusing on defense and whatever the team needs may just be the best way for him to build his actual NBA usefullness vs draft stock.

I always thought Carr was tough. I thought his biggest issue was just that he wasn't a natural point guard and distributor. As others have said, that seemed to be Pitino's system (for worse or worse).

So it might be interesting to see him at a place like Kentucky, but that sort of PG feel for the game is a difficult thing to teach.

If I were Marcus, I'd just go make some money in Europe. If he impresses, he'll get an NBA shot. If not, he'll live a good life in Europe making good money.

I think Carr is good enough to get signed by an NBA after the draft, like Amir Coffey, Naz Reid, etc. did. He'll have to prove he can guard and practice and he most likely has to prove himself in the G league to get minutes at the nba level.

Calipari would definitely coach-out some of his bad tendencies (here's looking at you Coach Pitino) but he's in his athletic prime, has never had a serious injury, and would seem to have little to gain from another year of college ball. Marcus should begin his pro career. Edit: if he does in fact go to UK I will pull for him. Robbins at Iowa: not so much.

Last edited:

per Shooter:

Guard Kellan Grady’s transfer from Davidson to Kentucky could affect Gophers guard Marcus Carr’s transfer chances at Kentucky.

Go Gophers!!

per Shooter:

Guard Kellan Grady’s transfer from Davidson to Kentucky could affect Gophers guard Marcus Carr’s transfer chances at Kentucky.

Go Gophers!!

Interesting. Wonder if he looks at NM?

Interesting. Wonder if he looks at NM?
Totally guessing, I'd say no, at the moment. Richard has recruited two pretty highly rated guards so far. (House and Mashburn) The leading scorer for the last four years is a guard eligible to come back for one more year. He's deciding whether to turn pro or return turn to the Lobos. Maybe if he turned pro it's a possible consideration for Carr. But, Unless Carr graduated, not sure he's eligible to play w/o a waiver. And maybe he could get it because Richard was fired....if he needs it?
Pitino has also recruited a Juco All American big and a Kansas transfer big as well. Both are/were rated highish ...100 to 150 neighborhood at some point. Both 6'10 ish, I think.
They have a bunch of holdovers, so roster spots are scarce right now. Most all guys on the roster were there for spring drills with Pitino coaching. They are fired up.
So, my guess: No other Gophers to New Mexico and Kenny Pohto is leaning elsewhere as well, it appears with the two bigs landed..

As a general rule, I don't like ball dominant point guards. With that said, I think he could do very well with the right kind of coach and teammates.

Totally guessing, I'd say no, at the moment. Richard has recruited two pretty highly rated guards so far. (House and Mashburn) The leading scorer for the last four years is a guard eligible to come back for one more year. He's deciding whether to turn pro or return turn to the Lobos. Maybe if he turned pro it's a possible consideration for Carr. But, Unless Carr graduated, not sure he's eligible to play w/o a waiver. And maybe he could get it because Richard was fired....if he needs it?
Pitino has also recruited a Juco All American big and a Kansas transfer big as well. Both are/were rated highish ...100 to 150 neighborhood at some point. Both 6'10 ish, I think.
They have a bunch of holdovers, so roster spots are scarce right now. Most all guys on the roster were there for spring drills with Pitino coaching. They are fired up.
So, my guess: No other Gophers to New Mexico and Kenny Pohto is leaning elsewhere as well, it appears with the two bigs landed..

Daym. That sounds impressive, especially for the MWC.

If I was him, i'd go.

While Coach Cal may be shadier than a used car salesman, he can coach 'em up!

That would be a perfect situation. Get some pro scout eyeballs on him every game. And just out of curiosity....I'd like to see how he plays on a team like that....with other top talent surrounding him.

Chase your dream young man. I realistically don't see him getting drafted unless he impresses at pre-draft camp. I can definitely see him getting picked up as a free agent and maybe making a roster or definitely G-League/Overseas

Top Bottom