Mapping Every College Football Player's Hometown

hungan1

Reaction score
Interesting read from a poster at angrybeavs.com:

"Good morning,

Hope you’re doing well. I’m a data and content manager here at Rukkus, we’re a secondary ticket marketplace for sports and concerts.

I took the time to put together an analysis of all 128 FBS rosters for the 2016 season using Google Maps to place each player (more than 13,000 in total) in their hometown and it created a very interesting visual of the college football landscape, especially when it comes to Oregon State, who has the 4th broadest recruiting reach in CFB.

You can check out a larger interactive version of the gif above here that allows for zooming and sorting by conference.

We hear about teams recruiting talent from local hot beds but I was curious to see what teams expand their radius of recruitment to find players further from campus. The results proved to be pretty eye opening:

The average Pac 12 recruit comes from 836 miles away, almost double that of any other Power 5 conference
The average distance from hometown to school is 128 miles for USF players, lowest in CFB
The average distance from hometown to school is 1,881 miles for Hawaii players, highest in CFB (Stanford has the highest average of any mainland school at 1,243 miles)
The average FBS player hails from 446 miles away from their school
More than a third of all FBS players come from either Texas, Florida, or California and Vermont is the only state without an FBS homegrown player
I compiled a few more heat maps and charts that highlight popular recruitment regions and a breakdown of the states that players come from and can share high res images or embeds for those.

I’d love to hear your thoughts and I’d also be happy to send over some more specific data for another team or conference if you’re interested. Here is a link to the post and one to just the interactive map.

The average distance from hometown to school for Minnesota players is 484.47 miles.

Where Gophers football players on the full roster (108) come from:
1. Minnesota 34
2. Illinois 10
3. Texas 9
4. Wisconsin 8
5. Florida 7
6. Georgia 7
7. Michigan 5
8. Iowa 4
9. Ohio 4
10. Alabama 3
11. Louisiana 3
12. California 2
13. Canada 2
14. Arkansas 1
15. Indiana 1
16. Maryland 1
17. Missouri 1
18. North Dakota 1
19. South Dakota 1
20. Virginia 1

Check out the differences in recruiting reach heat map for each of the P5 conferences. PAC12 has the farthest reach; SEC has the shortest.

Top ten states that produce the most talent:
1. Texas 13.44% (1846)
2. Florida 11.22% (1541)
3. California 10.33% (1419
4. Georgia 7.60% (760)
5. Ohio 5.37% (738)
6. Louisiana 3.61% (496)
7. North Carolina 3.40% (467)
8. Alabama 2.96% (406)
9. Michigan 2.90% (399)
10. Illinois 2.83% (389)

http://rukkus.com/blog/college-football-player-hometowns/"

Phillip Nelson getting no love from this sight apparently.

Edit: Looks like he's claiming his hometown is Deforest, WI on the ECU roster profile. I guess I wouldn't blame him for doing so.

How terrible that we can't claim PN9 as one of our own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure he was born in wisconsin

Pretty sure he was living in Mankato when he went to high school. That would be one hell of a commute from the Madison, WI area. For the most part, a player's hometown is the city they lived in while in high school. That's how it was listed when he was at the U. But I'm sure you knew that and just wanted to be an ass.

Pretty sure he was living in Mankato when he went to high school. That would be one hell of a commute from the Madison, WI area. For the most part, a player's hometown is the city they lived in while in high school. That's how it was listed when he was at the U. But I'm sure you knew that and just wanted to be an ass.
Not necessarily.
For the most part it probably depends on when someone moves. I moved in 6th grade and would consider my k-5 my hometown

Top Bottom