Makur Maker to Howard

Ski U Mah Gopher

Member of the Tribe
Reaction score
Five Star recruit.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I was the 1st to announce my visit to Howard &amp; other started to dream “what if”. I need to make the HBCU movement real so that others will follow. I hope I inspire guys like Mikey Williams to join me on this journey. I am committing to Howard U &amp; coach Kenny Blakeney <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MakerMob?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#MakerMob</a></p>&mdash; Makur Maker (@MakurMaker) <a href="">July 3, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

According to a lot of the “experts”, Maker isn’t expected to play in college. It’s too bad, would be fun to see a player of his supposed caliber (I know nothing about him other than that he’s a 5 star) play at that level.

Why Howard ...why not play for a great winning program and coach....like the gophs, Duke, or Kentucky

I'm a little confused as to what the "HBCU movement" is. I haven't really heard anything about it - can someone shed some light on the topic? But hey, he can play where he wants to play. I personally wouldn't recommend forsaking nationally broadcasted games, better facilities, and more competitive conferences for an HBCU but that's entirely his choice.

I'm a little confused as to what the "HBCU movement" is. I haven't really heard anything about it - can someone shed some light on the topic? But hey, he can play where he wants to play. I personally wouldn't recommend forsaking nationally broadcasted games, better facilities, and more competitive conferences for an HBCU but that's entirely his choice.
A top prospect in 2023 initially signalled some interest as the BLM protests started and it seemed to gain some momentum after that.

A top prospect in 2023 initially signalled some interest as the BLM protests started and it seemed to gain some momentum after that.

Interesting, the original prospect was Mike Williams who said he was interested in the HBCU schools and wanted to seriously be recruited by them, if it gains momentum it could change college basketball.

Interesting, the original prospect was Mike Williams who said he was interested in the HBCU schools and wanted to seriously be recruited by them, if it gains momentum it could change college basketball.
Shout out to what Don Haskins did at Texas Western

It's cool that you ask this question and hope that it inspires you, and all of us, to explore those gaps in our learning. Here's a documentary on HBCU's - Tell Them We Are Rising. Same filmmaker produced a film Boss: The Black Experience in Business which tells some important stories like the Tulsa's Black Wall Street.

I think of it as if a player was choosing Harvard. Has a lot of the same aspects. Great school. HBCU tradition. Lot of lifetime appeal in that Howard degree and that Howard sweatshirt. That has a lot of meaning in a lot of places.

A friend of my in higher Ed and with life long connections in the Chicago basketball circles told me that increasingly Black moms and increasingly Black college educated moms are playing a strong role in the recruiting process. Whether that's going to Duke to get into the NBA, or going to Stanford to get into law school, or that holding the coach to getting her child their degree, he said those moms are not messing around and are done having their kids used and discarded.

Yeah he is a top prospect in 2023 class lol

Would love to see a bunch of these guys pick HBCU's. Would spread out the talent and then those that have built a program on fundamentals, experience, precision and defense will thrive even more.

LeVelle Moton is really good already. If top guys go to him they will be a powerhouse.

According to a lot of the “experts”, Maker isn’t expected to play in college. It’s too bad, would be fun to see a player of his supposed caliber (I know nothing about him other than that he’s a 5 star) play at that level.
He's a class of 2020 kid so I don't think he'd commit to a program this late if he was going pro. Would be different if he was a 21 or 22 guy.

The thinking is that predominantly white colleges make millions off of tons of black athletes so instead, African Americans would like to see black colleges and surrounding communities also be able to benefit from black student athletes.

The thinking is that predominantly white colleges make millions off of tons of black athletes so instead, African Americans would like to see black colleges and surrounding communities also be able to benefit from black student athletes.
Would be awesome to see a top HBCU program evolve into something similar to Gonzaga. Not sure if it could get into the Big East, but maybe A10 one day?

I love this and really want it to become a thing. If it does, it’ll be tough going for the trail blazers. But worth it if some schools move into significant conferences.

Not sure if it could get into the Big East, but maybe A10 one day?

I was thinking the NCAA could be pressured. They’re going to need a lot of good will in the coming years if they’re going to survive at all. But then of course I realized the NCAA isn’t the only interest involved, and the teams themselves have a financial imperative to push for a big market team. Yet if Howard got the next Zion, and then the next, it would quickly become must-see sports television. And ESPN could just run the Zion model.

Howard might be the best HBCU academically?
But wondering which hoops program would be best poised to try to make a jump to high-major ball?

I like it when the top recruits opt to go the road less traveled.

I didn't recall hearing anything about this kid in a long time so I just looked him up.

He played two games and was shut down with a groin injury and Howard canceled the remainder of their season several games after.

He averaged 11.5 ppg, 6 rpg, and 4.5 TO per game in his two games, losses to Belmont and Quinnipiac.

Top Bottom