Major concern (among many) in recruiting Seantrel...

Reaction score
One of the increasingly important factors many big-time recruits consider as they prepare to make their college decisions...seems to be who is going to 'challenge' them during practice.

Whether it's WR's going up against DB's, or OL going up against DL...

For example, as the Gophers, Buckeyes, Gators, Trojans, Hurricanes, and Fighting Irish attempt to land a certain big-time Offensive Tackle, Seantrel might ask himself, "Who will I block during practice? And how will I improve over time while blocking this individual?"

By Brewster so far securing the verbal commitments of a handful of 1-and-2 star defensive linemen, I'm not sure the challenge Seantrel craves is to be found locally this year.:eek:

In a similar sense, it's possible the 1-and-2 star guys would prefer NOT to have to be blocked/pancaked by the Big Fella every day during practice? I mean, being outweighed by 100+ pounds, and giving up a bunch in physical strength...that would not be pleasant/fun duty for the so-called 'projects.'

If they don't want to beat the best there's no point in them showing up.

Ra'Shede, KGM, Garin and Wilhite all say hai.

One of the increasingly important factors many big-time recruits consider as they prepare to make their college decisions...seems to be who is going to 'challenge' them during practice.

Whether it's WR's going up against DB's, or OL going up against DL...

For example, as the Gophers, Buckeyes, Gators, Trojans, Hurricanes, and Fighting Irish attempt to land a certain big-time Offensive Tackle, Seantrel might ask himself, "Who will I block during practice? And how will I improve over time while blocking this individual?"

By Brewster so far securing the verbal commitments of a handful of 1-and-2 star defensive linemen, I'm not sure the challenge Seantrel craves is to be found locally this year.:eek:

In a similar sense, it's possible the 1-and-2 star guys would prefer NOT to have to be blocked/pancaked by the Big Fella every day during practice? I mean, being outweighed by 100+ pounds, and giving up a bunch in physical strength...that would not be pleasant/fun duty for the so-called 'projects.'

Just once, I dare you to come up with a positive post about our squad. Just once. Every single thing I've ever seen you post is somehow either ripping Brew or ripping the squad. What's your purpose on this board?

Just once, I dare you to come up with a positive post about our squad. Just once. Every single thing I've ever seen you post is somehow either ripping Brew or ripping the squad. What's your purpose on this board?

So, ust4life, you don't agree that a student-athlete, with the highest aspirations, wants to be 'pushed' in practice, in the film room, in summer conditioning, in the weight room, etc.:rolleyes:

His purpose is clear, and clearly pathetic. I agree with grunkiejr. Hageman, Garin, KMG, and Wilhite should all be able to challenge SH in due time if he does choose to be a Gopher. I'm especially high on Hageman due to his size and offer list. I really hope he turns into a beast for y'all.

It's really kind of funny how the OP asserts the notion that this class will include the only players SH could practice against and play with. What an absurdly stupid idea.

Congrats ConferenceChamp, on your big bowl of fail. You may redeem it in either Wisconsin or Iowa. Just print out this thread and show it to the nearest myopic rival of the Gophers and they might even give you seconds. Think of it as a coupon.

:clap:

So, ust4life, you don't agree that a student-athlete, with the highest aspirations, wants to be 'pushed' in practice, in the film room, in summer conditioning, in the weight room, etc.:rolleyes:

Wow. The dumb just gets more impressive. In the film room? Yeah, that depends on the other D-linemen in the same class as him. Try again. The weight room? Again... I can see your point on not bringing in five-star D-linemen playing a role here. Try again. And summer conditioning? Again, you hit the nail right on the head. SH's conditioning is clearly dependent upon what D-linemen might come in with him with the 2010 class if he does become a Gopher. Hopefully you caught on to the sarcasm.

And why did you ignore grunkiejr's post and valid answer to your idiotic at best "concern"? Oh that's right, that would make too much sense and not allow you to babble on about subjects like conditioning, and weight and film room instruction. 3 of the 4 things you've babbled about in your last post depend primarily on the player. Does he have the desire to get better? Does he have the will? Will he do what it takes to make it to the NFL? No matter what school SH chooses, those are the main concerns anyone should have with regard to his future. It doesn't matter if he goes to tOSU, Notre Dame, Miami, or Minnesota. Most of it depends on what he brings to the table. You can have the best coaches in the world, and no desire and get nothing out of it. Or you can have a coach with NFL experience, bring an excellent attitude and desire to succeed to the table and do great things no matter the location.

You are seriously concerned about the D-linemen in the same class as SH having a negative effect on his recruitment? Get a clue.

Cute. Care to comment on any of the above posts that refute your idiotic "concern"? Or will you just ignore them and wait to spout off more stupid ideas?

Negative posts are one thing. Insanely stupid negative posts are another. I'm glad you are having fun with this. It would be a shame for you to make yourself look so stupid without you getting any entertainment out of it.

;)

You know what's funny? For some reason the sound of crickets make me very sleepy. I guess it is late, but damn do they really get my eyelids heavy. Time to go to sleep. Maybe I'll check in on this thread tomorrow to see if you have a valid retort, but I won't be betting on it.

The fatal flaw in SH's thoughts and yours

The thrust of the argument originally posited is that one would join a top tier program to become immersed in talent on a daily basis and thus become themselves better. Well much could be be said about this theory, in the end we are still talking about practice, and as Mr Allen Iverson once so eloquently proffered, that is not the same as a game.
<object width="320" height="265"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eGDBR2L5kzI&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eGDBR2L5kzI&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="320" height="265"></embed></object>

And as much as I hate to admit it he is right. Games trump all. And as toward player development I think in the end game-time experience is a much better tool to ready a player for the next level. That being said, isn't it better to play against the best opponents? Sure playing for the best team in the land is great to stroke one's ego with shared sense of victory, but face it, as a lineman you are forever thrust into a bit part in that play. Everybody loves to win, but much more can be learned from playing against winners. If you face the Ohio States, the elites of the nation, lined up across the field from you for four years I am hard pressed to think that you will feel unchallenged.

And as toward surrounding yourself with elite talent, it doesn't do much to let your own talent shine, and one must always ask their self, do I succeed on my merit or my teammates'? One need not look further than the recent struggles of USC's quarterbacks in the League. Sure they looked great in college throwing to receivers who were always open and more athletic than the defensive backs they opposed, but once thrust into the bottom third of the NFL they failed to rise to the challenge. If Seantrel maintains his elite tackle status for the next four years, he very well may find himself a high draft choice and on a similarly sub-par team. To that end, why not rise to the challenge now and take the risk of being on a less talented squad?

If you are really an All-American in the waiting you will get to the league from just about anywhere, and contrary to what so many young linemen think, not necessarily from the big name schools. Take a glance at some of the linemen named in some of the mock drafts out there right now. Where are they from? Sure one of the top ones is from Oklahoma, but the top is from Oklahoma State which hardly is in the same perennially-BCS-bound stratosphere as OU. Skim down the list of potential NFL bound offensive tackles, and you might see (depending on your prognosticator) such powerhouses as Rutgers, Maryland and Massachusets all listed ahead of the top tackle prospect out of USC. Nor, I will add, was the top lineman chosen last year any less filthy rich for being from lowly Baylor. Yet Seantrel Henderson, and perhaps more telling Sean Henderson, will remain star struck and seek out the glories of BCS games, 100K+ crowds, and ESPN coverage rather than stay and be a home town hero. Too bad, because if the kid thinks he will be a hero on a campus at USC or OSU or Notre Dame to the degree he would be if he stays home, he is sorely mistaken. A little buzz will be gotten from snagging such a highly vetted freshman, but then he becomes 'just another five star'.

I posted this once before, but my feeling is it is most important to play against great competition in games.

If you are an offensive tackle and you want to play AGAINST the best defensive ends in the country, then the data shows you want to play in the Big Ten.

Since 2000, Penn State has had 4 DEs drafted in the first round, Ohio State 3 DEs in the first round. No other school in the country has more than 2 in that time frame.

Year Name Team School
2008 Vernon Gholston Jets Ohio State
2004 Will Smith Saints Ohio State
2001 Ryan Pickett Rams Ohio State
2009 Aaron Maybin Bills Penn State
2006 Tamba Hali Chiefs Penn State
2003 Michael Haynes Bears Penn State
2000 Courtney Brown Browns Penn State

Most of the time, no matter where he goes, he will be practicing against the scout team or 2nd team defense. What you're saying is definitely not going through his head.

Edwards, Kirksey, Wilhite, and Hageman are all more than capable of giving Seantrel Henderson competition during practice.

Why do you guys respond to Conference? His agenda is clear.

Mr. Henenderson is not coming here, he is going to OSU!

The next time I start a thread, let's have near silence. The next time conference chump starts one, let's make the silence deafening. It's the only way to stop the nonsense.

Long as we get Henderson, tOSU can have Henenderson. Just as long as he doesn't go to Ylae, Brom or Darmouth. OMG!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!! Bobby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Long as we get Henderson, tOSU can have Henenderson. Just as long as he doesn't go to Ylae, Brom or Darmouth. OMG!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!! Bobby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

I agree. Henenderson to the Crunkeyes. They can have Hanrahan, also. I remember when he tried to fight Reg Dunlap, but just ended up losing to the Charlestown Chiefs 1-0.

He can play for the OSU pucksters. BTW, we'll keep the Hanson Brothers as well. Good linebacker types.

Sorry, I love Slapshot....

ConferenceChamp
"a student-athlete, with the highest aspirations, wants to be 'pushed' in practice, in the film room, in summer conditioning, in the weight room"

I didn't know that the Gopher's were so far behind with their new film room, weight room, and summer conditioning program.

Thanks for the update.

Rudy's right he will not go against the 1st team def more than 20% of his practice time when he is a starter. But he will probably be redshirted his 1st yr. no matter where he goes So he will be going against the 1st D then.

Why does anyone respond to this moron? Its pretty clear that he is an Iowa fan just trying to screw with people. Ignore him.

Rudy's right he will not go against the 1st team def more than 20% of his practice time when he is a starter. But he will probably be redshirted his 1st yr. no matter where he goes So he will be going against the 1st D then.

His dad has stated that nobody that is recruiting him plans to redshirt him.

Top Bottom