Mack Brown Press Conference Notes.

NoelarBear

Reaction score

Watched Mack Brown's Weekly Press Conference ahead of the Minnesota game.
Here are some notes from the 44 minute press conference. Apologies for any grammar mistakes. Wrote this up quickly. Here are my notes from it below...

• Offers his thoughts and prayers on 9/11. Shares a story about his experience at the University of Texas when it happened.
  • Talks about how tough Appalachian State was/is. How they are a team that loves to beat Power 5 teams.
  • UNC is 2-0 for the fourth time in five years.
  • “We need our fans to be loud this Saturday”
  • UNC made twice as many mistakes against APP State than they did against South Carolina
  • Complimented the running game against App State.
  • Compliments his coaches against App State
  • They were 0-4 in overtime games until this past Saturday.
  • Proud of his offense on third down, 8 for 13 on Saturday.
  • Defense needs to do a better job playing tighter coverage.
  • Penalties on defense “killed us” against App. State
  • Defense let App State stay on the field too much.
  • Thinks the kickoff return could be more aggressive.
  • Shares that MN blocked a punt against Eastern Michigan
  • “Minnesota is a really physical team, they are huge on both lines of scrimmage”
  • “They are playing great defense, Fleck is a friend of mine. He has done a tremendous job”
  • Mentions how good MN defense is on third down. One of the best in the country last year
  • “Their team competes like P.J. competes, he is a competitor, high energy”
  • Mentions how good the MN defense was against EMU in the second half.
  • “I’ve never seen a modern day football team not make a first down in a half”
  • Mentions how Minnesota likes to keep the ball. Just like App. State
  • “They are playing great defense, playing complimentary football”
  • Mentions how the UNC Board of Trustees are meeting regarding the Tez Walker situation. Talked at length about that.
  • All the above was his opening statement, 20 minute opening statement.
  • “We’re letting people get too wide open” on defense
  • “Minnesota is going to be very similar to App State” – comparing offenses and time of possession.
  • Talked about how the UNC defense needs to improve on how they “disguise their looks”
  • Talked more about the Tez Walker situation.
  • Talked about the growth of UNC young cornerbacks.
  • Got asked if Tez Walkers reps in practice affected other players. Coach didn’t think so.
  • Talked about combinations on the offensive line. Talked about injuries on the OL.
  • ‘We have to figure out the receiving, defensive back and OL groups” Talked about injuries and depth being tested.
  • Interesting exchange between Brown and reporter. Reporter basically was wondering why they didn’t throw more when your best player is the QB. Brown said they didn’t need to throw because the running game was going great.
  • Brown says Minnesota’s defense is the best defense they will face so far this season
  • “We need to be more consistent” – regarding the kicking game
  • “I was hoping it would be hot this week but it won’t” – Joked about how the weather gods aren’t helping UNC early on in the season.
  • “We need more explosive plays”
  • “We can’t extend drives with self inflicted wounds”
  • "Thank goodness we didn't play our best and still won." - regarding last week.

Thanks for the notes.

Did he have any new insights into the Tez Walker situation or is just more of the same bitching about the NCAA?

Summary: old man barks at the moon

Just get over it and move on. Please, please kick their butts all over the filed this weekend, boys…

Great recap. With this crowd mentions, I'm thinking he knows that a lot of Gopher fans will be there. Can't wait to see the ratio of MN to UNC fans!

UNC will use its political muscle to get Tez Waker eligible. He will play.

Top Bottom