Lunardi's initial 2009-10 Bracketology

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Lunardi projects Gophers as a #9 seed playing #8 (you guessed it) Kentucky in Oklahoma City. A Gopher win would likely earn them a second-round Midwest Region matchup vs. (you guessed it) Kansas & Cole Aldrich.

Lunardi has 6 teams making it from the Big 10. ... all the same teams minus Wisconsin.

Surprises? Two most glaring to me were Marquette and Arizona State making the field. Both those teams lost an awful lot, and I'm not sure they have enough returning to get back.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

Count me as one person that would be disappointed if we only ascended from a 10 seed to a 9 seed.

I would second that. Taking off any maroon-and-gold colored glasses I may have, my general expectation next season is about a #6 seed. Knowing who our coach is, the players we have returning, the recruits we have coming in, what should be an improved nonconference schedule (a better ACC pairing + the Anaheim Classic, not even considering who else we might add), I expect the Gophers to be a borderline top 18-25 team for most of the season. My other main expectation is that we will not be playing on Thursday at the Big Ten Tournament.

I would second that. Taking off any maroon-and-gold colored glasses I may have, my general expectation next season is about a #6 seed. Knowing who our coach is, the players we have returning, the recruits we have coming in, what should be an improved nonconference schedule (a better ACC pairing + the Anaheim Classic, not even considering who else we might add), I expect the Gophers to be a borderline top 18-25 team for most of the season. My other main expectation is that we will not be playing on Thursday at the Big Ten Tournament.

I have the same expectation, but so does everyone else in the league. EVERYONE thinks they'll be better next year. It will be an absolute dogfight to get a top five seed in the Big Ten Tourney. This Chicago Tribune Big Ten hoops writer has her 2009-2010 predictions out today already. She predicts us as #6 in the Big Ten next year. Better news is she has Wisconsin #9.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/chi-11-big-ten-basketballapr08,0,294638.story

Valid point TJ. It's always a matter of which teams fullfill those expectations and which ones don't. Every year there are teams that surprise (or hit their expectations) and teams that disappoint. I hope we're one of the former, but it's always possible things can go the wrong direction. Thanks for the link from the Chicago Trib. Someone needs to tell her Kalin Lucas will be a junior next season, not a sophomore. Newspapers and their reporters are getting more sloppy with each passing day.

The big 10 will be stacked next year. There should be no one arguing that we are a weak conference, and we should be in consideration for the strongest conference in the country. Just taking a quick glance at the big 10 next year...

MSU - loses Suton and Walton, gets some good recruits and a talented core gets more experienced. I don't see much drop-off here.
Purdue - Loses no one, a very talented core gets older and more experienced. They improve.
Illinois - Loss of Frasier hurts, as evidenced in the NCAA tournament. Meacham was another big contributor. Their bigs were very young though, and they have a very good recruiting class coming in. Not much change.
Penn State - loses Cornley and Pringle. Battle will improve and Babb has talent. They'll drop though.
Ohio State - Lose a disappointing Mullens, but return the very talented combination of Turner, Diebler, Bufford and Lauderdale. They also get Lighty back. If Turner heads to the NBA, they'll drop significantly, otherwise they'll remain roughly the same, though they have a glut of talent on the wings, a mediocre point and only 1 good big.
Wisconsin - Lose Landry and Krabbenhoft. They should get better guard play, but their bigs take a step back and their wings are bad. They should be worse. But never underestimate the power of Bo Ryan's incessant whining to the refs.
Minnesota - Should improve significantly. We lose no real significant players. But our front court should be as good as any in the big 10. Our whole season depends on the improvement we get from our guard play. I have high expectations for Cobbs, and his addition as a backup point should allow Tubby a lot more flexibility with playing Devoe at shooting guard. If Devoe excels there the way I think he can, and Blake gets his shot back and Nolen pulls his head out of his ***, we should be a very good team.
Michigan - Should also take a big step up. They lose no one important, Sims and Manny Harris get another year older, and Lucas-Perry should improve going into his sophomore year. They also have a decent class coming in and another year acclimating to Belein's system. They showed both early and late in the season what they are capable of, they just need to avoid their mid-season swoon from t his year.
Northwestern - The loss of Craig Moore will hurt them a lot. Still, they lose no one else and should come into next season with more confidence than they have for a while. Overall they may slip off slightly, but not much.
Iowa - This program is a mess. They will be Indiana-esque next season.
Indiana - This team loses no one valuable. In fact, next year they won't lose anyone valuable either. They had a talented but young core carrying their program this year (can you call it carrying? still, the freshmen played well). Their incoming class is just as good as the one that kept them in a lot of games until the end this year. Expect this team to be much better, but they can only jump so far in 1 season.

Overall, a few teams stay roughly the same (MSU, Illinois, OSU, Northwestern. All of these teams were already decent)
Only 2 should take a real step back (Iowa, PSU, Northwestern may fall into this cat rather than the stay-the-same category.) None of these made the dance this year anyway.
Every other team should improve, some of them dramatically. I look for the Big 10 to again make a case for most bids in the tourney, and this time hopefully more higher seeds and fewer 9-12 seeds.

I cannot say how much I would love the Big Ten to win the ACC challenge next year. It's high time we won it, and I think we will be strong enough next year. It just depends on the matchups, IMO. Remember, this year we were 2 points away from beating them (thanks Illini)

Lunardi projects Gophers as a #9 seed playing #8 (you guessed it) Kentucky in Oklahoma City. A Gopher win would likely earn them a second-round Midwest Region matchup vs. (you guessed it) Kansas & Cole Aldrich.

Lunardi has 6 teams making it from the Big 10. ... all the same teams minus Wisconsin.

Surprises? Two most glaring to me were Marquette and Arizona State making the field. Both those teams lost an awful lot, and I'm not sure they have enough returning to get back.

I would hope (and expect to some extent) that we'll actually end up higher than this. But the national pundits LOVE that potential Kentucky-Minnesota contest and have been hyping and cheering for it to happen ever since Tubby became our coach.

Seeing as how this is the case, I'm not surprised Lunardi went with it on his post-2009, pre-2010 bracket.

Count me as one person that would be disappointed if we only ascended from a 10 seed to a 9 seed.

i fully concur with that sentiment. would be extremely disappointed if we make it the NCAA's again next year and are only a #8 or #9 seed. realistically i think we can get to around a #5 seed if we don't suffer any major injuries next season.

I dunno. While predicting order of finish in conference and the field of 65 is tough, there's at least some interesting analysis one can do as part of that process (as demonstrated by a bunch of the other entries in this thread.) But putting together a bracket that isn't likely to be much more accurate than if done completely randomly seems like a colossal waste of time.

Of course one could argue that my writing a post about a colossal waste of time is equally wasteful. :)

The difference between an 8 or 9 and a 6 or 7 is seemingly very small. Anywhere between a 6-9 is about where I expect us next year, but the year after that is a different story. That is where I see the real jump.

Top Bottom