Luke McAvoy & Crawford-Tufts now 3 stars

Handsome Pete

Wartime Hero Fool
Reaction score
Not the biggest blockbuster news, but Rivals has increased Luke McAvoy from 2 to 3 stars, and Devin Crawford-Tufts from unrated to 3 stars. Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

I'll take it! 20 3* or better commits is my goal!

Does that mean that you think that Luke McAvoy and Crawford-Tufts just got better because rivals moved them to three stars? Would you have not wanted either one if they were both below three stars then?

Does that mean that you think that Luke McAvoy and Crawford-Tufts just got better because rivals moved them to three stars? Would you have not wanted either one if they were both below three stars then?

Not to be rude but I think many people haven't seen many recruits play except for maybe a highlight reel so when they are rated higher in stars from people that get paid to do it (even though they are far from always being right) they tend to get excited when that player gets a higher rating from someone that's seen them play.

Granted I get more excited about what other schools offer the players but that too is far from perfect. As for your last question I think most gopher fans want every student athlete that the coaching staff offers to attend the best University in the United States be it 5 stars or no stars just that'd most would get a little more excited if they were a 5 star with an offer from every other college in the United States.

Plus getting confirmation from other sources that a kid is as good as you think he is is a a good thing.

Of course that doesn't mean he's a different athlete than he was before the change.

Can't see as how it's a bad thing though, and certainly good for perception value.

No, you're absolutely right. In fact, I'm such a Gopher fan and so into "real football" and not "just recruiting" that I hope all of our recruits get downgraded.

Truth is, it doesn't matter what players I want... or in some cases what players the team wants. That said, I'd rather have the little reinforcement that comes with a higher Rivals ranking than not... Crawford-Tufts was unranked until now, meaning the U of MN scholarship was one of our sole indicators about his playing ability.

Now, will you stop being a *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#?

Star System

The way that it works with Scout and Rivals is that any publisher can enter a player in the database. However, one of the national recruiting guys (football or basketball) have to give them a projected position and raise their star rating. Obviously, no person can see every player in the country, so it sometimes takes time for a player to get stars or to have his star rating raised. I did a story on Josh Colville today. I had previously put him in the Scout database, but since no national person has ever done a story on him, he remains a No star. Crawford-Tufts was another player I put in the database and when he committed to Minnesota, he was given a two-star rating, even though it is likely no had ever really seen him play. You could argue that if he had committed to a USC, Florida or Notre Dame, he would be a three or four star. The Colorado duo of A.J. Battle and Devonte Johnson are not in any database, which means no stars for either player. Those under the radar types obviously look bad when fans get fixated on the number of stars they have. They are getting looks from Colorado State, Utah and Kansas State, which would make them at least a two-star player.

I put players like Seantrel Henderson, Royce White and Rodney Williams into the database and eventually they were given the right amount of stars

The point is that you can never get get too excited about stars, especially with football. Basketball is easier to see most of the top players with all the AAU Tournaments and top camps, so I think the rankings and stars are a bit more accurate in that sport.

Just my two (maybe one and half) cents.

Chris Monter

The way that it works with Scout and Rivals is that any publisher can enter a player in the database. However, one of the national recruiting guys (football or basketball) have to give them a projected position and raise their star rating. Obviously, no person can see every player in the country, so it sometimes takes time for a player to get stars or to have his star rating raised. I did a story on Josh Colville today. I had previously put him in the Scout database, but since no national person has ever done a story on him, he remains a No star. Crawford-Tufts was another player I put in the database and when he committed to Minnesota, he was given a two-star rating, even though it is likely no had ever really seen him play. You could argue that if he had committed to a USC, Florida or Notre Dame, he would be a three or four star. The Colorado duo of A.J. Battle and Devonte Johnson are not in any database, which means no stars for either player. Those under the radar types obviously look bad when fans get fixated on the number of stars they have. They are getting looks from Colorado State, Utah and Kansas State, which would make them at least a two-star player.

I put players like Seantrel Henderson, Royce White and Rodney Williams into the database and eventually they were given the right amount of stars

The point is that you can never get get too excited about stars, especially with football. Basketball is easier to see most of the top players with all the AAU Tournaments and top camps, so I think the rankings and stars are a bit more accurate in that sport.

Just my two (maybe one and half) cents.

Chris Monter

So...can you put my 5 year old son in the database? He's never played organized football, and shows little interest, but I'd like to start the buzz early, you know, just in case.

Nope, it makes you more excited about a guy that most of us have never seen play. I think it's safe to say that none of us have any real info on most of these guys, so it is good news that other people who have seen these kids have decent opinions of them. You see, they didn't get better or worse (yet, but it's possible during the season), but our perception of them of them might get better or worse.

FWIW several of the Gophers commits have been upgraded on the Scout board as well, from 2 stars to three stars. A few I noticed are Moore, Rohr and L McAvoy. Regardless of what the recuriting sites rate them I am happy with their commitmint to the U.

Thanks for the insight Chris. That's kind of been the impression I have gotten watching the star rankings go up or down for various players. I've always thought that perhaps the closest correlation for star rankings would be the number of "high-level" offers a recruit has received.

Unregistered User

Get me your son's name and will get him in the database. Then, we'll spread a rumor that he has already committed as a member of the Class of 2022 (wow, that makes me feel really old).

Chris Monter

Get me your son's name and will get him in the database. Then, we'll spread a rumor that he has already committed as a member of the Class of 2022 (wow, that makes me feel really old).

Chris Monter

As soon as I can get you accurate measurables (which I should inflate, right?) I'll get that over to you. But I'm not sure I can get him to concentrate long enough to run 40 yards.

Do you enter Best Times for completing "World 4-Level 5" for Super Mario World on the Wii?

How about some credit to the coaching staff for discovering these kids and locking them down before they're even on the scouting services radar. The previous regime, was always chasing the left overs, which is not the way to win at any significant level.

Looks like quite a few of our guys got some evals over the weekend, as all but Sam Oyenuga have a rating.

Top Bottom