Louisville (Pitino), UConn (Calhoun), UNC (Williams)

They're all disinterested, don't care, washed up, living off their past.

they need to step it up or go.....

... Just thought I'd save Salem and DaveyJones the trouble of posting.

They're all disinterested, don't care, washed up, living off their past.

they need to step it up or go.....

... Just thought I'd save Salem and DaveyJones the trouble of posting.

they at least have the energy to get out of thier chairs... tubby was looking at his shoes all game.

but i would take tubby over those 3..
no one squanders more talent than ol Roy.
pitino is a greaseball used car salesman.
Calhoun acted like Tony Soprano when they asked him if he should give some salary back (a year or so ago)... i thought he was going to speed-dial a hit right there.

All 13-8 at this point of the 2010 season.

Just like Minnesota (Tubby).

But unlike Tubby:
- NC won the NCAA last year
- UConn made the final four last year, losing to the runner up.
- Louisville was a #1 seed and made the Elite 8, losing to the runner up.

NC was destroyed by the draft. We lost Abu.
Louisville had 2 lottery picks. We lost Williams.
Connecticut had a lottery pick and a 2nd round pick. We lost Payton and told Busch to go away.

But unlike Tubby:

Connecticut had a lottery pick and a 2nd round pick. We lost Payton and told Busch to go away.

All the more reason why UNC, Louisville, and UConn just re-load, year after year. Should be easy for them.

Rick Pitino has Final Fours at three different schools, A National Championship, A National Runner-Up, 5 Final Fours and coached the New York Knicks to a division title.

Roy Williams has taken two different schools to the Final Four, won two National Championships, has two National Runner-Ups and been to the Final Four 7 times.

Jim Calhoun has built the University of Connecticut into a national power, won Two National Championships, been to 3 Final Fours and done it all while playing in the deepest and toughest basketball conference in the country.

Tubby Smith's been to 1 Final Four and won 1 National Championship with a team he didn't recruit or have any role in developing. He did an extremely great job with a group of experienced, gritty players who had gone to back-to-back National Title games but never has, to this point, repeated that same success.

Tubby Smith's a good coach but he's not on the level of those men. There's no shame in that (few are) but until Tubby returns to another Final Four or builds Minnesota into a national power he's just not on those men's level. Each of those men have shown a sustained history of high level success at national powers or built a legacy all their own. Coach Smith has got more in common with Lou Carnesecca (which isn't bad company per se) than a Roy Williams or Rick Pitino.

But unlike Tubby:

This is all nice and dandy, except you completely disregard the fact that all three of those teams have been have top 10 recruiting classes every year for many, many years. Tubby has had two classes at MN, and this most recent one was decimated due to multiple issues (no White or Mbakwe).

So yes, we lost much less talented players than any of those three teams, but those teams also have much more quality depth than we do. They simply reloaded while we are still rebuilding.

Rick Pitino has Final Fours at three different schools, A National Championship, A National Runner-Up, 5 Final Fours and coached the New York Knicks to a division title.

Roy Williams has taken two different schools to the Final Four, won two National Championships, has two National Runner-Ups and been to the Final Four 7 times.

Jim Calhoun has built the University of Connecticut into a national power, won Two National Championships, been to 3 Final Fours and done it all while playing in the deepest and toughest basketball conference in the country.

Tubby Smith's been to 1 Final Four and won 1 National Championship with a team he didn't recruit or have any role in developing. He did an extremely great job with a group of experienced, gritty players who had gone to back-to-back National Title games but never has, to this point, repeated that same success.

Tubby Smith's a good coach but he's not on the level of those men. There's no shame in that (few are) but until Tubby returns to another Final Four or builds Minnesota into a national power he's just not on those men's level. Each of those men have shown a sustained history of high level success at national powers or built a legacy all their own. Coach Smith has got more in common with Lou Carnesecca (which isn't bad company per se) than a Roy Williams or Rick Pitino.

Agree with this. He won at Tulsa and Georgia, and won for a long time at KU, but didn't build a team into a national power or sustain runs at multiple schools or win multiple championships. I give him full credit for the won he won at KU though, no one else seems to, but he had to coach that team, and although they had great talent, many teams with great talent do not win titles. If he can turn U of M into a power, then I would say he would rank up there with the all time greats.

I too will agree with your points.
In science the thing that gives a theory credibility is being able to repeat the task.
Tubby has never been able to return to the Final Four regardless of how good his
recruiting was. All of the people you have mentioned have been able to repeat
their Final Four trips.

I think Pitino's better days are behind him. When he left the Celtics he lost some of
his fire and passion and has not and will not relive the success he had at UK.

While Williams is having a down year he has had 2 titles since taking over at NC
and I am more than confident he will have them back in the top mix within a
couple of years. I think he has one of the best recruiting classes for next year
but I may be mistaken.

Calhoun is also having a down year but if his health can be restored he also will
have UCONN right in the think of things.

As for Tubby
People measure success by production not a bunch of "ifs" that seem to run rampant
on this board. "If we had so and so" " if our unproven players were able to play"
etc.
Tubby has improved the Gophers without a doubt and should be given credit.
I do however wonder if any good coach could have made improvements from the
pre-Tubby tenure. At 9-22 it wouldn't take much to be better.
Regardless of any bad fortune, this is Tubby's 3rd year as head coach and the team
is becoming more his and less Monson's. Going back to Tubby at UK. If you are going
to say that Tubby coached the team in 98 and gets full credit for the Title, then you
also have to say he gets full credit for Minn. now. You can't have it both ways and
give him credit for success yet absolve him for losses. 1st year at UK all Tubby credit
yet 3rd year at Minn and no Tubby blame?, I don't think so.
Sooner or later this is going to be Tubby's full team and responsibility.
Within the next 2 years, regardless of opinions, we will see what the Gophers are doing
and if Tubby can make them a National Power or if they slumber around the middle of
the Big Ten and keep talking about "next year "

I have a question for you, who would you put in the same category as your current coach? I have a few names for you: Tarkanian, Floyd?

You have no idea how pleased the Big Blue Nation is that Minnesota took Tubby off our hands.

Great. Now go back your own f-ing messageboard. We promise to troll it once Calipari and WWW leave your program decimated as they've done twice before.

Top Bottom