Local sports personality Dick Jonckowski battles back from near-death experiences

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sherman:

Almost everyone has had a near-death experience that tested will, character and perseverance.

Dick Jonckowski, a Minnesota sports personality and former long-time public address announcer for the Minnesota Golden Gophers, is still going strong after walking away from death’s door on five occasions.

The first challenge he faced was a diagnosis of non-Hodgkins lymphoma in 2014. The cancer went into remission but came back in 2021, which turned out to be the worst year of Jonckowski’s life. His cancer returned and was treated once again with chemotherapy. Shortly after finishing chemo, Jonckowski’s cancer returned. Luckily, it went away again following treatment. Then, in December of 2021, COVID-19 entered Jonckowski’s world and rocked him with a month-long hospital stay. “Once I got out of bed, I had to learn how to walk again,” he said. “I had a terrible time regaining my balance. COVID sure took a lot out of me. I had such a tough time with it.”

A fifth near-death experience Jonckowski faced happened Feb. 7, 2022 when he and his wife Arlene were taking a drive not far from their home in Shakopee. They were traveling through an intersection when another driver ran a stop sign and crashed into their car. It was straight to the hospital for husband and wife. Jonckowski, who will turn 80 on Oct. 22, recovered, as did his wife, who plays tennis and pickleball and bowls in two leagues.

“It was a terrible accident,” said Jonckowski, who has not driven a car since then.

Facing mortality

By now, Jonckowski is accustomed to taking on any challenge he faces. Since 2014, he has had time to reflect on his mortality. “I guess God doesn’t need me yet - and the devil doesn’t want me,” he said with a wink. “Seriously, the reason I continue to survive is the love and support of my family ... and my friends. I couldn’t have made it this long without them.”

So who then is Dick Jonckowski, and what more does he hope to accomplish as he enjoys the autumn of an interesting life?

He has already been inducted into seven halls of fame, and maybe No. 8 is out there somewhere.
“I was the PA announcer for University of Minnesota baseball and basketball for more than 30 years,” Jonckowski said. “And I did the Gopher football games for 10 seasons.”

The late Paul Giel, the U of M athletic director in the 1980s gave Jonckowski his start behind the microphone.
“Paul Giel was a great man,” Jonckowski said. “When Jules Perlt retired after 58 years of calling Gopher basketball, Mr. Giel asked me if I would be interested. He had heard me doing imitations of Jules on occasion and apparently thought I had the right kind of personality for the job. I had done some announcing for Verne Gagne and Wally Karbo with AWA wrestling, and I was the public address announcer for the Minnesota Muskies and Minnesota Pipers pro basketball teams. Announcing at Gopher games was a dream job for me.”

Go Polish Eagle!!

A true gem. We throw around the phrase "one of a kind" quite a bit, but he defines it. Glad to hear he's still kickin' and cracking jokes.

I’m not so sure about that. An interesting opening line.
I don't think many have had near death experiences. Many have serious injuries or sickness that could lead to danger of death, but the sickness or injury isn't near death, per se.

I’m not so sure about that. An interesting opening line.
Yeah, dealt with adversity sure, but I don't think nearly everyone has had a near death experience.

Glad Jonckowski is doing well though. Tough enough to deal with major health scares but adding a serious car accident on top of all that is crazy.

Top Bottom