List of lessons should have been learned by Pitino (why it’s difficult for team to hire head coaches without experience)

Thymanst

Reaction score
  1. Don’t waste scholarships with players with unknown ability
  2. Balance classes when recruiting
  3. Develop a bench
  4. Expect injuries/ a player to do something stupid / leave
  5. Set expectations for season (better shooting team/ rebuilding, etc)
  6. Hire a shot doctor/ psychologist
  7. Do more things for community/leadership
  8. Have bench players do at least one or two things well - Develop a bench !
  9. Build a network of high school coaches you can rely on
  10. Run offenses that fit players/ recruit players that fit system
  11. Establish identity of team
these are off the top of my head - at some point if you learn from lessons you should have built a successful program - we are still hit and miss every year.

A psychologist! Yes!
A lot of the big programs have sports psychologists that help players visualize successful outcomes. There are football teams that are starting to use virtual reality to help with situational outcomes.

Point #11 is the most important. The coach does nothing if he doesn’t define the identity of his team - otherwise what are they doing?

A few quotes from our guy:
”I don’t know what this team’s identity is going to be. That is one thing that I told them is that you have to develop an identity every time you step out on the court.”

And

“As a team you need to figure out your identity, if you don't have an identity you are probably not a good team. At this point I am not sure just yet."

Ummm Richard, isn’t that YOUR ENTIRE JOB?!?!

No wonder our roster looks so weird, this guy, after seven years, has no idea what he is even trying to build.

Richard's mid-to-lower level recruits (aside from the obvious high-end guys like an Oturu or Carr) are aaaaaaalllllllllllllways painfully one-dimensional (Omersa, Konate) or zero-dimensional (Hurt, Diedhiou).

To develop an NCAA-threat team and a decent bench you need a steady stream of reliability in each class.

This list is funny. You really think he didn’t try to do these things or doesn’t know? Give me a break. It’s hard to be elite in the big ten and some guys will be better than others. Pitino early mistakes were not recruiting strong character kids and poor assistant coaches. He’s upgraded both but it may be too late. His inability to coach an elite defense is also any issue I’ve seen so far. Offensively his teams are fine even if you don’t like the system or isolation style.

For all the talk of Pitino being young and inexperienced - at times I think we forget - or ignore - the fact that he literally grew up watching a successful D1 Coach operate. he later worked with and for that coach, and other successful coaches. He was an assistant coach on teams that played in the Elite 8 and Final Four. One would hope that he picked up a few things along the way about how to run a program.

It's not like they hired some guy off the street who had never coached before, or never been exposed to the world of D1 basketball.

Compared to other coaches of his age, Pitino actually had a lot more relevant experience. So the "young and inexperienced" line doesn't ring true for me.

This list is funny. You really think he didn’t try to do these things or doesn’t know? Give me a break. It’s hard to be elite in the big ten and some guys will be better than others. Pitino early mistakes were not recruiting strong character kids and poor assistant coaches. He’s upgraded both but it may be too late. His inability to coach an elite defense is also any issue I’ve seen so far. Offensively his teams are fine even if you don’t like the system or isolation style.

Maybe Pitino isn't the right guy for the job. But according to some posters he has had two, maybe three guys that should have even been allowed to wear a big ten uniform in his tenure. With so little talent and so few players, he must be one of the best coaches in the NCAA. Imagine what he could if he had more than two players.

I put together this list as a more subtle way to show the ways that things have gone wrong for Pitino in his tenure here. posters gave him the benefit of the doubt because of his limited head coaching experience. I was one of them. This team was short Of experience playing together at the start of the season and because of that Pitino got a limited number of them playing time. this short bench( which was an issue in other years) caused the late stretch home collapse (hitting a wall because of all minutes played ) that has eliminated them from the post season for all intensive purposes.

I put together this list as a more subtle way to show the ways that things have gone wrong for Pitino in his tenure here. posters gave him the benefit of the doubt because of his limited head coaching experience. I was one of them. This team was short Of experience playing together at the start of the season and because of that Pitino got a limited number of them playing time. this short bench( which was an issue in other years) caused the late stretch home collapse (hitting a wall because of all minutes played ) that has eliminated them from the post season for all intensive purposes.

Fair enough, that makes more sense to me. I'm not saying Pitino deserves more time here's or has been great either. I also don't buy as much into the depth thing as much as others. I fail to believe the extra minute or two Oturo or Carr play matter as much with TV time outs and them being college kids.
I do think some here are asinine and ridiculous with what they think the coach doesn't "know". Didn't mean to put you in that group. That group however probably thinks the same of me.

"Intensive purposes?"

WTF does that even mean?

Or did you mean "intents and purposes?"

Intensive purposes means they are a very long shot to make ncaa’s - sorry for the plethera of inane vocabulary . While people generally use both for all intents and purposes and for all intensive purposes to mean “in every practical sense,” ”seeming as if,” or “virtually/almost completely,” the standard form of the idiom is for all intents and purposes.

Last edited:

Intensive purposes means they are a very long shot to make ncaa’s - sorry for the plethera of inane vocabulary . While people generally use both for all intents and purposes and for all intensive purposes to mean “in every practical sense,” ”seeming as if,” or “virtually/almost completely,” the standard form of the idiom is for all intents and purposes.
Dude...there is no "intensive purposes."

Top Bottom