Limegrover and Message Board Posters

Do you know more about game planning and play calling than Limegrover?

• Total voters
The attitude that goes along with posting this poll is a big part of why Minnesota has had such a hard time resurrecting the football team. Debate is good. Opinions are good. I bet Limegrover would say he welcomes wholeheartedly all fans (both positive and negative) because apathy is the enemy.

After today's loss, I'm sure there are a bunch of folks here who are certain that they know more about play calling than Limegrover, so please feel free to use this thread to inform the rest of us.

Nelson is exposed when he has to pass. He doesnt throw a good ball and he doesnt have
a strong arm. Must have a good running game, so he can dump to tight ends and backs.

We had end zone view day today. Receivers were open. Passes hung and were often off
target.

Nelson is exposed when he has to pass. He doesnt throw a good ball and he doesnt have
a strong arm. Must have a good running game, so he can dump to tight ends and backs.

We had end zone view day today. Receivers were open. Passes hung and were often off
target.

This was a similar problem with Q. He always floated the ball, which makes it easy for the db's to go after the ball.

My only real complaint or observation is we should have probably passed more during non conference to help us prepare for now when we need it to win. Otherwise post Michigan he's done just fine.

Tough throwing conditions resulted in a lot of dropped and overthrown passes.

target.
Yes, the passing game wasn't good today. I think we dropped 4 passes in the first quarter, when Phil was off by 6 inches. I'll have to go back and count the total number of drops. a) Believe it or not, frigid conditions make passing more difficult; b) Engel would have made some plays.

I think that Limegrover did a horrible job against Iowa and a pretty bad job against Michigan. I do still believe that he was a big part of the problem for those two losses. At the same time, on our four game win streak, his creativity and better playcalling was a big part of what was right for those wins.

Having said that, I have no beef with him after yesterday. He was dialing up plays which left receivers open enough that a college QB should be able to hit them. I like Nelson. I think he is a good quarterback and a good kid. I'm excited to see what he does against MSU and in the bowl game, and in the next two seasons. Unfortunately, he played terribly yesterday underthrowing some balls that could have been plays and that fourth down miss to Dos Equis was absolutely inexcusable. When he did make throws, the receivers did him no favors by dropping the ball. Against some defenses, when our QB and receivers are playing like that, we can just get more run heavy. Wisconsin is a good enough defense that a team with our skill level can't just pick and choose how we beat them, we need to take what they give us. Yesterday, they gave us the pass game, we had plays called which would have worked if properly executed, and the kids didn't make the plays.

Long story short: I think you can fairly argue that Limegrover was (at least partly) what cost us the Iowa and Michigan games, but there is no way this loss is on Limegrover.

It appears that most people realize that the problem yesterday wasn't the game plan. It wasn't effort either. It was execution.

Thorwing conditions were tough in yesterdays game

Tough throwing conditions resulted in a lot of dropped and overthrown passes.
There was a gusty wind that was unpredictable at times. Nelsons arm is plenty strong, he just needs to refine his footwork and timing a little more. Dude must have been excited when he saw Max Williams that open that is the only reason I think that ball was overthrown as there wasn't tremendous pressure on that play. I have been impressed with Nelsons decision making the last half of the season. He get's the timing down of the windows a little better and we get better route execution by more experienced receivers and things should only get better. Passing game has been exponentially better the second half of the season. I'm looking forward to the offense redeeming themselves on Saturday against MSU. Everyone can get better and improve on this team, there is a lot of reason for optimisim in the future. They played an elite level defense on Saturday and had a chance to make a few plays that could have been the difference in the out come of the game. The future of the Gopher program is as bright as it has been since the middle coach Mason years. Players fans and coaches should have reason for improved expectations, the goals can continue to be set high to finally contend for a conference championship. Next year and the year after we will have the Juniors and Senior classes with depth.

Top Bottom