Let's just get the Dungy Clone: Leslie Frazier

Replacement Gopher

Reaction score
And have him hire Karl Dunbar as the DC.

Pay Leslie $2.5 / year, he'd be worth it.

One prob with going to the NFL though, would we need to wait until Jan before they could begin recruiting and fill out a staff?

I would think hard about Leslie but if that happens I am almost certain Dunbar gets promoted to D coordinator of the Vikes. Eric Bieniemy for offensive coordinator would be nice.

Love the idea of Fraizer. there are very few coordinators who deserve a shot at a HC gig than him

He'll get an NFL HC gig eventually.

Something tells me he is going to the NFL pretty soon. Even with the labor situation, somebody is getting canned at the end of the season.

I think Frazier is a really good D Coordinator and he certainly could be a good college football coach, but there is too much of that that is an unknown with Frazier.

He has coached some college football way back in the day at a tiny evangelical NAIA program in Illinois, but i'm not sure how much of that would translate to the world of Big 10 college football. I'm not sure how Frazier would be at the other side of coaching that is in college. In the pros, I think Frazier will be a great coach.

For me, just because we will be just getting done with a coach who was a bit green in the terms of experience coaching college, I would prefer either a current coordinator at another school (Gus Malzahn) or someone who has a ton of experience in the college game (McCarney, Belotti, etc.)

We really can't have a learning curve the next go. The program is ready for the next step, if we replace Brew we need stabilize and solidify what we have and build some consistency. That can't happen with an NFL guy. There is just too much College specific crap that needs to be done well right out of the shoot.

We really can't have a learning curve the next go. The program is ready for the next step, if we replace Brew we need stabilize and solidify what we have and build some consistency. That can't happen with an NFL guy. There is just too much College specific crap that needs to be done well right out of the shoot.

exactly. NFL guys are unknowns when it comes to recruiting (and all the relationship building it entails), developing raw talent, and are more likely to over-complicate the game plan and individual player responsibilities. Basically, you don't want someone like the former coach of the Golden Domers.

exactly. NFL guys are unknowns when it comes to recruiting (and all the relationship building it entails), developing raw talent, and are more likely to over-complicate the game plan and individual player responsibilities. Basically, you don't want someone like the former coach of the Golden Domers.

While I agree with your opinion, I don't think Weiss's problem was an overly complex offense. There offense was really good last season. Their complex offense averaged over 30 points a game. Their problem was their at times vanilla defense couldn't stop anyone.

NFL guys are unknowns when it comes to recruiting (and all the relationship building it entails), developing raw talent, and are more likely to over-complicate the game plan and individual player responsibilities.

Yeah - just like that terrible NFL guy that Iowa has right now.

Ferentz coached college for 14 years before coaching in the pros for 4 seasons.

As I said in my initial post, I don't think that Frazier's experience at a tiny NAIA bible college will really translate to Big 10 college football, so he really has almost zero experience in college football.

I wonder about the people advocating Dan McCarney on this board, touting his experience. Yes he is highly experienced, but unfortunately he's just not all that good a head coach, putting up a 56-85 record while at Iowa State. If we can't do anything better than that so far as hiring goes, then we should probably just not even bother and just hang on to Brewster for the duration.

Yeah, I can see where you are going with the worries about McCarney. However, he really had Iowa St. at a level they haven't been since (with pretty good coaches). He was replaced by Gene Chizik, who has done a nice job at Auburn, but Chizik certainly wasn't an improvement over McCarney at Iowa St. I can understand the skepticism, but I think sometimes those records need to be read in relation to the program.

Top Bottom