Let's celebrate!

Great Plains Gopher

Reaction score
A good bowl in a great urban area; an opponent that is a good match; a reward earned by the Gophers for their victories over bowl teams Northwestern, Michigan State and Air Force. Plus an extra spring practice and lots of TV publicity. What's not to like?

Amen

There is no down side to this. Enjoy it. Be happy.

The "negs" have it made either way . . . lose, and they'll howl about everything . . . win, and it'll be "meaningless", " 'poor' opponent", etc., etc., . . .

How about thinking about the young men on the team? Especially the seniors. They have endured one full, and several mini-, regime and scheme changes, and suffered through a 1-11 season 2 short years ago.

A good bowl in a great urban area; an opponent that is a good match; a reward earned by the Gophers for their victories over bowl teams Northwestern, Michigan State and Air Force. Plus an extra spring practice and lots of TV publicity. What's not to like?

I don't like the fact that after 3 years, this program is no better than it was when Mason left and is sliding backward rapidly with new decommits every day. We are 0-6 against Iowa and Wisconsin the last three years. We were destroyed in the only (mediocre) bowl we played in during that time. Also, the #1 recruit in the state is now considering one of our most hated rivals because we have performed so haplessly and pathetically that we have essentially given him no choice. But you are right, we did beat those three mediocre teams.

This is reality. You may be satisfied with the way things are, but I can tell you 95% of Minnesotans are not. And almost all of these dissatisfied people will not get angry like me, they will just completely ignore the team. Our student section is 1/2 full for games played in our home town, so how many people do you think will show up for our "good bowl" 1,500 miles away?

I don't like the fact that after 3 years, this program is no better than it was when Mason left and is sliding backward rapidly with new decommits every day. We are 0-6 against Iowa and Wisconsin the last three years. We were destroyed in the only (mediocre) bowl we played in during that time. Also, the #1 recruit in the state is now considering one of our most hated rivals because we have performed so haplessly and pathetically that we have essentially given him no choice. But you are right, we did beat those three mediocre teams.

This is reality. You may be satisfied with the way things are, but I can tell you 95% of Minnesotans are not. And almost all of these dissatisfied people will not get angry like me, they will just completely ignore the team. Our student section is 1/2 full for games played in our home town, so how many people do you think will show up for our "good bowl" 1,500 miles away?

Woof. Reading this post was like a kick in the jiblets. I'm just coming out of my annual end-of-season funk. Then I read this.

Six more weeks of funk, I guess....

Couldn't leave your bitchfest to one of the other classless threads? Thanks for the hijack. Congratulations gopher players.

I wish that 95% of Minnesotans cared about Gopher football. I'm guessing it's closer to 25% that give a damn about this team.

Great job gophers. There are several teams who would trade place with you in a heart beat. It is an honor to be chosen for a bowl game. And I'm proud of what you guys had to over come, and your resolve to focus on football and building a future amidst the destractions of the naysayers.

You're right, there is no harm. Congrats to the team on the good that has been accomplished. I basically agree with Pete's thread, but it doesn't change the fact that there's nothing bad about going to a Bowl Game.

I will never say anything bad about the Insight Bowl. I went last year for the first time. As a Minnesotan, how can you beat going to Tempe in late December/early January, attending a New Years Block party that was rated top 5 in the entire USA by the US Today, and watching a Gopher football game.

I can honestly say I had the time of my life at the game and festivities last year. Now, I am sure this place called Pasadena would be fun too...

You fools are taking this Seantrel to Iowa thing way too seriously. I will eat my words if that is the case, but let's stop for a minute and really ask ourselves if USC/Oklahoma/ND is concerned about Seantrel chosing Iowa.

Iowa is known for their lines. for that it can't be disgarded, but really it is the worst of all possible choices and he's being way too careful to make such a careless decision. But nothing surprises me anymore.

Iowa is known for their lines. for that it can't be disgarded, but really it is the worst of all possible choices and he's being way too careful to make such a careless decision. But nothing surprises me anymore.

Henderson has good reasons to choose Iowa. Its been a CDH/MN pipeline and MN kids have done well there. A degree from Iowa is worthy assuming he would graduate. I would not call that a careless decision. An unpopular one would be more fitting amongst the few MN people who would really care.

Agreed, lets try to enjoy the next 4 weeks of bowl season. I love the bowls and am very glad we're in one. The only crummy thing about the Insight Bowl is its broadcast on the NFL Network (dumb). Otherwise its a great gig.

I highly recommend people take the time and money to attend this bowl game. Due to a work situation, I cannot; but I went to Pheonix in 2006 and it was a great time (even if I felt very pessimistic about the prospect of a win over Texas Tech). Attending a bowl game really is the pinnicle of the fan experience - especially in a place like Tempe at a game we could win.

Go Gophers!

I have to say, at first I was quite disappointed that we got passed for the Alamo, but after remembering what a blast Insight 1 & 2 were, I am ready to celebrate a return to Tempe. Even Insight 1.0 (where we notched up the biggest meltdown in bowl history). It was awesome to be a part of that. I still fondly remember reading the Pioneer Press article titled "Gophers Win Big" on the plane on the way back the next morning.

My point is this: If even slightly possible, go to the bowl game. Even though it is broadcast on NFL network and is against Iowa State and is only one slot above Pizza Pizza, it will still be an absolute blast. And hey, maybe we'll set another bowl record this year (hopefully in our favor).

Also, is anyone else actually a little glad that we will not be playing in a dome after our first season outside?

I look forward to watching our seniors compete for one more game, before they can buy season tickets next to me :).

Top Bottom