Let me say again, a lot of us were wrong about DJ

Sparlimb

Reaction score
I was in the vocal majority who questioned whether Damien Johnson had any business on a division one floor, much less having a scholarship as a freshman. I, again, want to say how wrong I was. Damien has turned into a really solid player under Tubby's tutelage and he has more than earned his scholarship. I would argue he's our most important player on the team this year due to his ability to hit the box score in all 5 of the main categories (pts, blks, ass, stls, rebs). He is the glue that keeps us together and he stood up big tonight. He has developed a decent mid range shot and his energy level never seems to wane. So I just wanted to take tonight, as we're all being thankful, to give a shout out to DJ who made me eat crow.

I was in the vocal majority who questioned whether Damien Johnson had any business on a division one floor, much less having a scholarship. I, again, want to say how wrong I was. Damien has turned into a really solid player under Tubby's tutelage and he has more than earned his scholarship. I would argue he's our most important player on the team this year due to his ability to hit the box score in all 5 of the main categories (pts, blks, ass, stls, rebs). He is the glue that keeps us together and he stood up big tonight. He has developed a decent mid range shot and his energy level never seems to wane. So I just wanted to take tonight, as we're all being thankful, to give a shout out to DJ who made me eat crow.
It bodes extremely well that DJ is hitting those pull-ups, runners and hooks. This is what was missing from the entire Gopher team last year.

My favorite player since Sophomore year. Plinnius, still think DJ is an offensive liability? I mean he's no Paul Carter...

I don't think a lot of people here have had anything bad to say about Johnson since his Soph year. He didn't show a lot his 1st 2 years but he was outstanding last year and the foundation of the team this year.

Sparlimb: just another example of "tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt." Thank you for apologizing. Let the guys (who actually play) determine the program, not the bloggers and spewers of venom. Thank you again.

Doc.

Amen Spar. DJ looked completely lost and devoid of talent his first year on the floor (and this was after a redshirt season). Most Gopher fans questioned his ability, especially when looking at Monson's track record of out of state recruits. I was one of them...but we were wrong.

I really think he should get more publicity on the national level. It seems like the national media considers Al Nolen to be our most important player, which I don't understand. DJ is clearly our MVP.

I've always been a big DJ fan. He keeps getting better and better. He stuffs the stats sheets and has to be one of the best fantasy college basketball players today. He's one of my favorite Gophers of all time and I watched Gopher BB as far back as McHale. I hope he has an NBA career. Who was that guy that said DJ's game had peaked and that he was no Paul Carter? Hmmm, I wonder. Plinnius can you help?

My favorite player since Sophomore year. Plinnius, still think DJ is an offensive liability? I mean he's no Paul Carter...

What is going to happen when we stop playing short, unathletic teams? Will he top 8.72 PPG in conference play this year?

Do you still think Iverson is a dog?

DJ pro potential

If there's room for Bruce Bowen, Hassell, and Corey Brewer in the NBA, there is room for DJ. They are all built similarily and are limited on the offensive end. I think he'd be a great role player for the wolves!

DJ was one of the few players last night that tried to penetrate and get high percentage shots. Other than Colton getting fed in the post, we relied a lot on jump shots (luckily the outside shots were falling). DJ was a very efficient scorer. i liked how Lavin said DJ "slithered" into the lane.

I don't think that much will change. Do you think he won't average over ten a game in conference? I'm fine with over ten a game when you add to the fact that he's a top 3 defender in the BT.

And yes, I still don't think Iverson is that good. I'm not saying DJ is so much better on offense because of one good game, it's obviously more than that. You can't deny that his shot selection and shot itself at least so far look pretty damn good, and so do his moves and ball-handling. Iverson hasn't looked good all year other than one half. I'm not jumping on his bandwagon.

What is going to happen when we stop playing short, unathletic teams? Will he top 8.72 PPG in conference play this year?

Do you still think Iverson is a dog?

reminds me

DJ reminds me of Traveris (sp?) Bennett - especially on defense!

I was in the vocal majority who questioned whether Damien Johnson had any business on a division one floor, much less having a scholarship as a freshman. I, again, want to say how wrong I was. Damien has turned into a really solid player under Tubby's tutelage and he has more than earned his scholarship. I would argue he's our most important player on the team this year due to his ability to hit the box score in all 5 of the main categories (pts, blks, ass, stls, rebs). He is the glue that keeps us together and he stood up big tonight. He has developed a decent mid range shot and his energy level never seems to wane. So I just wanted to take tonight, as we're all being thankful, to give a shout out to DJ who made me eat crow.

Instead of apologizing, why not cool off on some of your other more obnoxious proclamations and actually learn.

His freshman year, he didn't look like he was going to be a key player for us. Last year he proved to be one of more important players considering the way he plays defense and moves the ball on offense. This year, it looks like he has improved on every aspect of his game. More steals, blocks, and assists. What has impressed me the most however, is the way he is putting points on the board for us. He has developed into a very good shooter, and can drive to the rim if needed. A very smart player. What was he, 7 for 8 last night??? Easily the most important player on our team as of right now.

I have a novel concept-how about being fans for Damian Johnson and Colton Iverson? For that matter, how bout Al Nolen, Lawrence Westbrook, RS III, Devoe Joseph, Justin Cobbs, Blake Hoffarber, Paul Carter, Rodney Williams, and even Devron Bostick and Trevor Mbawke?

I can understand the reticence about Royce White (and to a lesser degree Mbawke, although it looks like those charges are either phantom or improvable), but I never get the strong criticism and/or dismissal of our players who, to our knowledge, represent the "U" with class on the court, never make the police blotter, and work their tails off for our enjoyment. Yes, they are handsomely rewarded with a full scholarship, but I don't believe that opens up the floodgates for criticism. Is either DJ or Iverson a perfect player? Most certainly not, but it is unfathomable to me that someone cannot acknowledge how valuable DJ has been to the Gophers as a bridge along with Westbrook from the dark days of Monson's last year to leading the team to (hopefully) consecutive NCAA berths. And why are shots being taken today at Iverson who stepped up for the Gophers last night in a big game? Perhaps last night will be the best night ever of Iverson's Gopher career or perhaps it a seed for the confidence and understanding of a developing sophomore big man to figuring out how to become an effective post player against top flight competition. Whichever it is-great game Colt! Thanks for the contributions!

And before anyone accuses me of living in a Sid Hartman-esque type bubble where criticism of our Gophers can never occur, I am a critic-even though my ability to watch the games is severely curtailed these past couple years, I do wonder if Al Nolen has what it takes to lead this team as its point guard, I have thought Westbrook can be a bit reckless with his shot selection at times, and I do want RSIII to become more physical in the post. That being said, I'm a fan of all three and I certainly hope they continue to improve and grow. When Gopher fans start making statements such as "I'm not a fan of ________ because blah, blah, blah" it makes me wince. Unless you're saying you're not a fan because they broke the law, embarrassed the program, or give a subpar effort, I hate that sentence. It reminds me of the embarrassing behavior exhibited often by our fan base towards Kevin Burleson when he was here. Burleson was often erratic in his decision making on the court and would leave me befuddled by his actions, but he never deserved the venom spewed his way by "fans".

One last thing-this doesn't have to be an either/or game; you can like DJ and Paul Carter; you can like Iverson and RSIII; and right on down the line. Yes, it's part of the age old debate in sports and this Gopher squad with the various possibilities does offer many such debates, but part of the beauty of this team seems to be their ability to pick one another up through their depth, variety of skills, and cohesiveness.

I have a novel concept-how about being fans for Damian Johnson and Colton Iverson? For that matter, how bout Al Nolen, Lawrence Westbrook, RS III, Devoe Joseph, Justin Cobbs, Blake Hoffarber, Paul Carter, Rodney Williams, and even Devron Bostick and Trevor Mbawke?

I can understand the reticence about Royce White (and to a lesser degree Mbawke, although it looks like those charges are either phantom or improvable), but I never get the strong criticism and/or dismissal of our players who, to our knowledge, represent the "U" with class on the court, never make the police blotter, and work their tails off for our enjoyment. Yes, they are handsomely rewarded with a full scholarship, but I don't believe that opens up the floodgates for criticism. Is either DJ or Iverson a perfect player? Most certainly not, but it is unfathomable to me that someone cannot acknowledge how valuable DJ has been to the Gophers as a bridge along with Westbrook from the dark days of Monson's last year to leading the team to (hopefully) consecutive NCAA berths. And why are shots being taken today at Iverson who stepped up for the Gophers last night in a big game? Perhaps last night will be the best night ever of Iverson's Gopher career or perhaps it a seed for the confidence and understanding of a developing sophomore big man to figuring out how to become an effective post player against top flight competition. Whichever it is-great game Colt! Thanks for the contributions!

And before anyone accuses me of living in a Sid Hartman-esque type bubble where criticism of our Gophers can never occur, I am a critic-even though my ability to watch the games is severely curtailed these past couple years, I do wonder if Al Nolen has what it takes to lead this team as its point guard, I have thought Westbrook can be a bit reckless with his shot selection at times, and I do want RSIII to become more physical in the post. That being said, I'm a fan of all three and I certainly hope they continue to improve and grow. When Gopher fans start making statements such as "I'm not a fan of ________ because blah, blah, blah" it makes me wince. Unless you're saying you're not a fan because they broke the law, embarrassed the program, or give a subpar effort, I hate that sentence. It reminds me of the embarrassing behavior exhibited often by our fan base towards Kevin Burleson when he was here. Burleson was often erratic in his decision making on the court and would leave me befuddled by his actions, but he never deserved the venom spewed his way by "fans".

One last thing-this doesn't have to be an either/or game; you can like DJ and Paul Carter; you can like Iverson and RSIII; and right on down the line. Yes, it's part of the age old debate in sports and this Gopher squad with the various possibilities does offer many such debates, but part of the beauty of this team seems to be their ability to pick one another up through their depth, variety of skills, and cohesiveness.

:clap:

This team by the time it matures will be one of the best in the conference. Anyone who earns minutes is a pretty good player.

I don't think that much will change. Do you think he won't average over ten a game in conference? I'm fine with over ten a game when you add to the fact that he's a top 3 defender in the BT.

And yes, I still don't think Iverson is that good. I'm not saying DJ is so much better on offense because of one good game, it's obviously more than that. You can't deny that his shot selection and shot itself at least so far look pretty damn good, and so do his moves and ball-handling. Iverson hasn't looked good all year other than one half. I'm not jumping on his bandwagon.

Without Iverson the gophers would be in trouble. With Mbwake being out he is the only real physical force on the block. Sampson is more athletic but is not nearly physical enough. I am glad he is on the team.

Top Bottom