Left tackle

We gotta have someone on the bench who can block a top 10 pick DE on obvious passing downs. PJ's a fool for not playing that guy.

You're right. He didn't put Faalele in last year.

Good point.

(that was the basis of the thread -- which you purposefully ignore, to get in a personal shot. Great job)

It wasn't about getting rid of Schlueter ... it was about asking if there is no one else.

Clearly, it seems that you have answered that in your second sentence, and I agree with you. The staff doesn't trust the other guys we have, like they were willing to trust Faalele last year to take over for Schlueter against Iowa (in particular, Anthony Nelson, who was similarly destroying us, like Epenesa did this year).

I was trying to see if there was anyone we had back there, to make a Faalele move of last year, again this year. Seems the answer is no.

Yes, continuity and experience are great.

However, getting beat quickly around the edge, for a tackle, or getting beat quickly to the inside for a guard, are mortal sins. That's on film now. Guess what Schlueter and Andries are going to see for the rest of the year??? Quick lateral moves. They better put in a couple hundred extra reps practicing against those, per week, for the rest of the season.

No. We don't have anyone on the bench that is capable of locking up Espenesa. In fact, neither do the Vikings.

On the last possession, I don't think the Goph O-line or RB recognized that Epenesa was playing over the guard the first couple of plays. Otherwise, I gotta imagine they would have been looking to chip with the center or the RB would have paid more attention to the middle. Good move by Iowa. It worked.

Absolutely should've slide the center towards Epenesa. Not sure if that was KC's call or Morgan's call (QB's can slide the line based on where they perceive the biggest threat to be).

No. We don't have anyone on the bench that is capable of locking up Espenesa. In fact, neither do the Vikings.

Sure, we made him look like a first round draft pick.

You'll be dishonest and suggest he is, as well.

He's not. But sure

Sure, we made him look like a first round draft pick.

He's not. But sure

Care to make a wager on whether or not Espenesa will be a first round pick?

Being drafted in the first round doesn't make you first round talent.

Treadwell, etc etc etc

Ha. Backpedaling? Did you google him between your last two takes?

Here is your quote "Sure, we made him look like a first round draft pick.

He's not. But sure"

So now, you're changing your tone from "he won't be a first round pick" to "he will be a first round pick, but shouldn't be?"

Just admit it, like most things you comment on, you don't know what you're talking about.

Being drafted in the first round doesn't make you first round talent.

Treadwell, etc etc etc

You kind of keep digging yourself deeper & deeper in that hole.

It's as if you have a 19, the dealer is showing a face card, & you're wanting to take another hit, as if you're saying "I'll show you!"

Oregon, Bob -- go away. You added nothing to the discussion.

I'm more than happy to let this thread die now. I got plenty of real, honest discussion, in posts #9, #13, #19, #23, #25, and #30, and I'm happy with those. You know, the way discussion *should* work, not trolling/personal insults/bad faith discussion, as you prefer.

Oregon, Bob -- go away. You added nothing to the discussion.

I'm more than happy to let this thread die now. I got plenty of real, honest discussion, in posts #9, #13, #19, #23, #25, and #30, and I'm happy with those. You know, the way discussion *should* work, not trolling/personal insults/bad faith discussion, as you prefer.

Ha. No one is trolling you.

You asked if we had anyone on the bench that could block Espenesa and I answered it. No, we do not have anyone on our bench with the ability to block a future NFL 1st round draft pick. We especially do not have anyone that is capable of blocking him on obvious passing downs.

We all get it, you had no idea how good he was, you've googled him and now you feel a little sheepish. It's okay, we can let this thread die. It was a stupid question. In other news, we likely don't have anyone on the bench who can shut down Chase Young either (if you don't want to waste your time googling him, he's pretty good too).

He won't get drafted in the first round. Iowa fans have been disappointed him almost all year. Basically invisible at times.

Our problem was giving up 20 so fast that they could tee off on us. I thought we held up quite well.

Be better than this - he may not be Top 5, but Top 10. Iowa fans are not "disappointed" - if they are, its ridiculous. He is getting doubled and chipped every play. They disguise it very well and put him in the best spot. He doesn't have 7 sacks, a couple FF, and PD's for nothing. The guy is a freak. A freak who will go pro on the 1st day of the draft. Wasn't just Andries - Faalele missed a bad one, Schlueter missed one. Rough day for the OL. However, when they gave TM time - he picked the DB's apart. Learn and get better for NW and Wisco

Ha. No one is trolling you.

You asked if we had anyone on the bench that could block Espenesa and I answered it. No, we do not have anyone on our bench with the ability to block a future NFL 1st round draft pick. We especially do not have anyone that is capable of blocking him on obvious passing downs.

We all get it, you had no idea how good he was, you've googled him and now you feel a little sheepish. It's okay, we can let this thread die. It was a stupid question. In other news, we likely don't have anyone on the bench who can shut down Chase Young either (if you don't want to waste your time googling him, he's pretty good too).

Added nothing, and continue to add nothing. Go away

And take your bad faith discussion with you.

Last edited:

Be better than this - he may not be Top 5, but Top 10. Iowa fans are not "disappointed" - if they are, its ridiculous. He is getting doubled and chipped every play. They disguise it very well and put him in the best spot. He doesn't have 7 sacks, a couple FF, and PD's for nothing. The guy is a freak. A freak who will go pro on the 1st day of the draft. Wasn't just Andries - Faalele missed a bad one, Schlueter missed one. Rough day for the OL. However, when they gave TM time - he picked the DB's apart. Learn and get better for NW and Wisco

On Epenesa, he's been playing a lot of inside tackle gap technique to stop the run this year when playing RPO teams including against the Gophs. He's not getting the sack numbers because of that. Urban Meyer pointed that out in the analysis leading up to the game (love those clips BTW). When he's in pure pass rush mode, he's really tough to stop.

In one of other threads, maybe the Morgan concussion thread, it was claimed that Iowa fans have been disappointed in Epenesa this year. That's what I based that comment on.

Regardless, after what he did during the game, there is just no excuse not to slide the line towards him and/or have a TE just waiting in the backfield for him.

On Epenesa, he's been playing a lot of inside tackle gap technique to stop the run this year when playing RPO teams including against the Gophs. He's not getting the sack numbers because of that. Urban Meyer pointed that out in the analysis leading up to the game (love those clips BTW). When he's in pure pass rush mode, he's really tough to stop.

Thanks for sharing this. I was not aware of that.

I'm glad I can bring up valid questions, and then get reasonable, honest answers from other posters. It should be the way internet discussion works!

Thanks for sharing this. I was not aware of that.

I'm glad I can bring up valid questions, and then get reasonable, honest answers from other posters. It should be the way internet discussion works!

We'd love for you to start.

Must be why they moved Epenesa to 3tech for our last drive.

Thanks for the education in football strategy

And he did most of his damage from where? And would many consider him an extraordinary pass rusher?

It’s the end of the game, they know our line is tired since we didn’t substitute much (?at all) and so they made a great strategic move. Took their best pass rusher and moved him inside (actually to a 2 technique as he was lined up directly over Blaise so that he could use outside or inside moves) where he had a shorter route to the QB against a guard who hadn’t seen him all game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And he did most of his damage from where? And would many consider him an extraordinary pass rusher?

It’s the end of the game, they know our line is tired since we didn’t substitute much (?at all) and so they made a great strategic move. Took their best pass rusher and moved him inside (actually to a 2 technique as he was lined up directly over Blaise so that he could use outside or inside moves) where he had a shorter route to the QB against a guard who hadn’t seen him all game.

Do you have video showing 2 tech? That is an unusual alignment, so I doubt you are correct. 3tech gives the best pass rushing position. Especially if it was a pre-planned inside move. Then the guard would be working to the outside, and would have to stop his outside momentum to redirect inside. Very difficult to do.

So anyway, this in fact shows that ... no, the best pass rusher isn't always, in all situations, going to be lined up at right DE.

Last edited:

Blaise got destroyed by him as well twice on the last drive.

Mods, what does Mnpls/G4L/who knows how many other screen names have to do to get fully banned from this site for good? I'm so tired of his know-nothing garbage polluting every g*ddamn thread on this site. Please do something about it.

Do you have video showing 2 tech? That is an unusual alignment, so I doubt you are correct. Depends what you think "on" means, I guess. 3tech gives the best pass rushing position. Especially if it was a pre-planned inside move. Then the guard would be working to the outside, and would have to stop his outside momentum to redirect inside. Very difficult to do.

So anyway, this in fact shows that ... no, the best pass rusher isn't always, in all situations, going to be lined up at right DE.

Used the video provided in this link- it’s a single frame before both sack plays. He uses the same outside step, inside rush move on Blaise. Never said always as an absolute so not sure what victory you’re trying to claim. Furthermore, my initial response was to your claim that somehow those 2 plays were on tape and reveal the way to disrupt our passing game. Doubt it- the great majority of teams don’t have a versatile future 1st rounder at defensive end who can move inside and I would hope the line is practicing sliding blocking schemes and RBs practicing chips should they need them ( I’m sure they always do anyways). In the end it was a brilliant adjustment by IA and caught our guys by surprise. I’m sure Blaise though he could handle it the 2nd play but in retrospect should have asked for help although hard to communicate that with the clock running.

We went 4 wide and empty backfield more than we had all season. That's going to put a lot of pressure on the OL.

Mods, what does Mnpls/G4L/who knows how many other screen names have to do to get fully banned from this site for good? I'm so tired of his know-nothing garbage polluting every g*ddamn thread on this site. Please do something about it.

Mods, it would be great if we could ban anyone who says things we don't like.

Dpo has many, many enemies on this site who I'm sure will send you PMs to confirm they'd like to see him banned.

I mean, you'd think that a discussion board is built for -- you know, discussion -- so it's strange to see someone who gets so angry and emotional when someone tries to bring up a valid discussion. Strange indeed

Last edited:

Used the video provided in this link- it’s a single frame before both sack plays. He uses the same outside step, inside rush move on Blaise. Never said always as an absolute so not sure what victory you’re trying to claim. Furthermore, my initial response was to your claim that somehow those 2 plays were on tape and reveal the way to disrupt our passing game. Doubt it- the great majority of teams don’t have a versatile future 1st rounder at defensive end who can move inside and I would hope the line is practicing sliding blocking schemes and RBs practicing chips should they need them ( I’m sure they always do anyways). In the end it was a brilliant adjustment by IA and caught our guys by surprise. I’m sure Blaise though he could handle it the 2nd play but in retrospect should have asked for help although hard to communicate that with the clock running.

Fair enough. Thank you for the honest discussion and sharing of your opinions.

Mods, it would be great if we could ban anyone who says things we don't like.

Dpo has many, many enemies on this site who I'm sure will send you PMs to confirm they'd like to see him banned.

I mean, you'd think that a discussion board is built for -- you know, discussion -- so it's strange to see someone who gets so angry and emotional when someone tries to bring up a valid discussion. Strange indeed

Valid?

Giving up a sack or not, is not at all the end all. The play where he barely slowed Epenesa on his way to Morgan, that cost us the TD, won't go down in the record books as anything more than an incomplete for Morgan.

If this had came out of nowhere ... that'd be one thing. But it happened last year too. It was the creation of Faalele.

It was weird to me, and a concern, from the beginning of the season, that he was going to be our LT, after what happened last year. I was happy that he stuck it out, worked on his techniques, and improved.

Very disappointing that he looked like his old self out there.

This is the part of your whole starting this thread that is completely idiotic.
It's one game where he (and really the whole entire team) didn't play well and now you want to question why he's playing.
Did you start a thread on TJ shouldn't be a starter because he dropped one pass in the game and you know he's done that before?

Sam has played exceptional during the entire BIG part of the schedule. As has the entire offensive line. They were bad to start the year, but improved as they got more comfortable with each other in games. Saturday they didn't have a good day overall, but it is no reason to start questioning why he or someone else is playing.

If he was playing poorly for multiple games in a row you would have a valid point, but not after 1 game and it wasn't like it was every play and it wasn't like he was the only one who struggled with Epenesa.

This is the part of your whole starting this thread that is completely idiotic.
It's one game where he (and really the whole entire team) didn't play well and now you want to question why he's playing.
Did you start a thread on TJ shouldn't be a starter because he dropped one pass in the game and you know he's done that before?

Sam has played exceptional during the entire BIG part of the schedule. As has the entire offensive line. They were bad to start the year, but improved as they got more comfortable with each other in games. Saturday they didn't have a good day overall, but it is no reason to start questioning why he or someone else is playing.

If he was playing poorly for multiple games in a row you would have a valid point, but not after 1 game and it wasn't like it was every play and it wasn't like he was the only one who struggled with Epenesa.

OK. Thank you for sharing your opinions and thoughts.

Just curious, why do you get so emotional and angry, when I simply bring up a valid question? If he hadn't already been replaced before, by Faalele last year, then it wouldn't be valid. But he was, and so it is.

Top Bottom